Buying a new car- what can we negotiate?

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
OMB
Reactions:

We all probably have those "Nightmare" experiences we can share. The key is avoidance...if possible.
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
littlebadboy
Reactions:

I agree with @aullucci, take a look at the used section. We have never bought brand new. A new car depreciates as soon as you drive it out the parking lot.

We say no to everything that the finance person offers. We walked out on one before because he started to be rude.

I hate the long wait at the dealership when you purchase a car. Bur, I found it really quick when I came in pre-approved by my credit union.

I am glad your mother is fine after that what sounds to be a big accident. Subarus are solid. I am on my 2nd Forester. The first one, a turbo '04 which still runs great went to my college son, while my '10 also still runs great. My daughter would most likely have it in a few years.

Are you going for another Subaru? My wife has her interests on Teslas right now, but they are darn expensive.
Houblues
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:47 am
That is the short version of the story. I had to visit many Toyota dealers in the bay area before the aforementioned experience occurred and they all were nightmares to deal with. Several could not even tell me how much the truck cost, even if I wanted to write a check. One sales guy told me he did not know the price of a truck I was looking at and if other sales person there told me a price they would be lying.
That was the nature of the Toyota experience I mentioned above. The truck was admittedly a hot seller, but it almost seemed like dealers, across the board, were wanting you to put in bids over and above MSRP and if the sales manager liked the color of your shirt that day they might consider it.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:01 am
Are you going for another Subaru? My wife has her interests on Teslas right now, but they are darn expensive.
Wait. Lots of good options coming soon, and some of them won't come near the Tesla Tax.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-every-major- ... 1846322775
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Floridian FX
Reactions:

Sorry to hijack the thread, but rather than start a whole new one, and it's kinda related...

Whelp, everything went to shit today. Car was supposed to be delivered Sunday, finally showed up yesterday. They said we could come pick it up today, transaction was supposed to take about an hour. Pull up to the dealership and there it is front and center, even had a bow on the hood! What it didn't have was the panoramic sunroof that my wife ordered...She was not happy.

Her getting to the point in her career where she could custom order a vehicle was a big deal, and they completely fucked it up. Not only that, but they did jack shit to sweeten the deal, not even an apology.

With this chip shortage due to the fire in a China, they can't give an honest estimate of when she would be able to receive another order. They thought maybe July at the earliest, which is another 4-5 months of wear and tear on her trade.

This is a win win for the dealer because if she cancels the deal, they can sell it at a much higher price(I get the supplier discount) and they know it. They had 7 offers on it this afternoon alone, and there have been zero Tahoe's on the lot for the last week(I have been checking).

She didn't go full on 'Karen', but I could see it in her eyes, lol.

I swear, what should be the simplest thing.....
ID10t
Reactions:

Floridian FX wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:08 pm Sorry to hijack the thread, but rather than start a whole new one, and it's kinda related...

Whelp, everything went to shit today. Car was supposed to be delivered Sunday, finally showed up yesterday. They said we could come pick it up today, transaction was supposed to take about an hour. Pull up to the dealership and there it is front and center, even had a bow on the hood! What it didn't have was the panoramic sunroof that my wife ordered...She was not happy.

Her getting to the point in her career where she could custom order a vehicle was a big deal, and they completely fucked it up. Not only that, but they did jack shit to sweeten the deal, not even an apology.

With this chip shortage due to the fire in a China, they can't give an honest estimate of when she would be able to receive another order. They thought maybe July at the earliest, which is another 4-5 months of wear and tear on her trade.

This is a win win for the dealer because if she cancels the deal, they can sell it at a much higher price(I get the supplier discount) and they know it. They had 7 offers on it this afternoon alone, and there have been zero Tahoe's on the lot for the last week(I have been checking).

She didn't go full on 'Karen', but I could see it in her eyes, lol.

I swear, what should be the simplest thing.....
Nope, that will never be the vehicle ya'll ordered. They might not lose money on this deal but they will lose money on any future sales to you, your family, your friends and on and on. We have a dealership in town that went out of business because of that.
The best way to make it look like you care, is to care.
Sorry for your troubles, find another dealer. I appreciate your wife's position on working to get to the point that she could order the car she wanted.
fatjack
Reactions:

This is easier for me to say, but that sucks more than enough to walk from. They royally fucked her and you by proxy. As you say she worked damn hard to get to where she can make the deal for a car. Like my fathers 66 Toronado custom order first year TOP model Olds his first like that. He would have busted every windshield on the lot if they had done him like your wife. Another dealer, she has earned the car she wants.Make sure she knows that.
Floridian FX
Reactions:

Thanks guys, we walked away. The sales manager seemed dumbfounded. He couldn't understand why we were upset as he was offering an additional $1k off. I explained that his additional $1k off was still $1500 higher than what the supplier price would be. He then proceeded to tell me they don't and never have offered supplier pricing on their SUV's. His sales staff told my wife that they did and everything would be taken care of when the vehicle arrived. I guess my wife should have been more diligent at the time of the order. Either way, ordering what was going to amount to a $68k vehicle should not have been such a clusterfuck.

My brother has a dealer that he works with in Wisconsin that has already offered to order the vehicle and provide courtesy delivery to Florida. So we might go that route, the tricky bit is that it is still going to take 3-4 months, which I guess gives us time to sell her vehicle. We aren't out anything other than time, so maybe it will work out better in the end.

Also, just for fun, see if you guys can figure out these numbers. My wife grabbed a pic of the 'worksheet' while the salesman wasn't looking.
ScreenHunter 465.png
On the dealer website it states dealer fees are $899, and Filing fees are $199.75, tag agency fee is $85.
So Dealer fees have been inflated $100
Title and Tag is non-taxable in Florida so I believe those would come out of the $352 non taxable line item. Not sure what the extra $67.25 is for.
I also do not know what the $291.25 taxable fees are.
Sales tax on new vehicles in Florida is 6% and I can get close to the $2413 they are charging in taxes, but I can't nail that number dead on, so I am not sure how they factored that.

So that is almost an additional $500 that is screwy money. We were so pissed at that point that I didn't bother to ask, we were just there to see what the dealer would give for her trade($1500 less than carmax)

When they bring these worksheets out, everything starts happening rapid fire, and I think that is how a lot of people get duped, because they almost never leave it out long enough for a person to make sense of it.
fatjack
Reactions:

Yeah those numbers are dubious, it being Fla. My guess is between fast talk not leaving the paper out and the old well it's written down it must be so.Glad you have access to a better dealer with delivery , sucks it will involve a wait. Dealers probably get away with this on hot models simply because get fomo and won't wait.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Glad to hear you gave them the boot. I saw your wife's post on FB today too, I was hoping you did. Make sure you plaster any rating site you can find with the results of the transaction - google reviews, facebook, etc. Make sure you let GM know too.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )