New Gretsch Model

MattS
Reactions:

This looks very interesting, to me at least:
image.png
Looks like it won't be available for a few months yet. Here is more info if this tickles your fancy:
https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/col ... 2817600531

Matt
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

That definitely looks nice, and I bet those single coils sound pretty sweet too.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
mickey
Reactions:

I'm an admitted Gretsch fanboy.
But for reasons I cannot explain to me, that one just doesn't attract me. :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:39 pm I'm an admitted Gretsch fanboy.
Perhaps the lack of Filtertrons / TV Jones is a deal breaker
MattS
Reactions:

How about this color w/bigsby for an additional $100?
image.png
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I'm happy to wait and hear how those pickups sound. Manufacturer descriptions just don't cut it.
mickey
Reactions:

MattS wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:59 pm
How about this color w/bigsby for an additional $100?
image.png
Nope. I have one similar to that already. :D
G5622t06.JPG
Gandalf the Intonationer
aullucci
Reactions:

That's gonna be a great guitar.
golem
Reactions:

I'm definitely interested in the fact that this uses staple style P90s (probably not the expensive ones that have dynasonic style adjustments underneath).
OMB
Reactions:

No inlays...no way...
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
OMB
Reactions:

This one is a slim 2.25" and fully hollow. If it wasn't for the durn gold hardware I would dig out the credit card.
https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/col ... 2804800520

Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
Chocol8
Reactions:

Probably because it’s not backwards!
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

OMB wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:33 pm This one is a slim 2.25" and fully hollow. If it wasn't for the durn gold hardware I would dig out the credit card.
https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/col ... 2804800520

Yeah...I have seen a few great semis/hollows Ibanez brand that I would jump at...if not for the gold hardware...I mean...if you want to use real gold I'll reconsider but some tacky gold color finish....no way
golem
Reactions:

I thought this was a new Gretsch model today:

Basically a boutique Duo Jet with Dynasonics.

Mossman
Reactions:

Has anyone heard the G5220 BT Jet? This thing sounds awesome! I was holding out for the new Epi 335 "Figured" (whenever somebody gets some more in stock), but this Gretsch is giving it some competition. The pickups are called "Broadtrons" (hence the 'BT' in the name), and I think they sound like a cross between a Tele and a P90.

Skip to 5:40 for the toans...

Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:47 pm Has anyone heard the G5220 BT Jet? This thing sounds awesome! I was holding out for the new Epi 335 "Figured" (whenever somebody gets some more in stock), but this Gretsch is giving it some competition. The pickups are called "Broadtrons" (hence the 'BT' in the name), and I think they sound like a cross between a Tele and a P90.

Too funny...I too am waiting for Epiphone 335 or Riviera (which may be ages in Thailand) and I was looking at that exact model as a replacement too ! (I like the Jade Gray Metallic0
BrianSkeezer
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:47 pm Has anyone heard the G5220 BT Jet? This thing sounds awesome! I was holding out for the new Epi 335 "Figured" (whenever somebody gets some more in stock), but this Gretsch is giving it some competition. The pickups are called "Broadtrons" (hence the 'BT' in the name), and I think they sound like a cross between a Tele and a P90.

I had some GAS for that one a little while back. I found one at the "local" GC and got to play it. It sounded good, but just felt....cheap. I don't know how else to describe it. On the good side, it was pretty lightweight for a singlecut, and looked great.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

BrianSkeezer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:03 am

I had some GAS for that one a little while back. I found one at the "local" GC and got to play it. It sounded good, but just felt....cheap. I don't know how else to describe it. On the good side, it was pretty lightweight for a singlecut, and looked great.
Hmm..a great looking cheap date, single, and not too fat.. Oh man sounds hot
Mossman
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:56 pm
Too funny...I too am waiting for Epiphone 335 or Riviera (which may be ages in Thailand) and I was looking at that exact model as a replacement too ! (I like the Jade Gray Metallic0
Haha! Great minds think alike!

According to Sweetwater's website, they won't have them in for "a few months" (though last November my Sweetwater rep said they'd be in by the end of December), so who knows when they'll make it to Thailand. Then again, you might get them before we do.
BrianSkeezer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:03 am I had some GAS for that one a little while back. I found one at the "local" GC and got to play it. It sounded good, but just felt....cheap. I don't know how else to describe it. On the good side, it was pretty lightweight for a singlecut, and looked great.
Errrrg... That's been my opinion of Electromatics in general... That they feel kinda cheap. But in every review I've seen for this guitar they've praised the build quality, so I thought this one might be different. I guess I'll have to try one locally to find out for myself.

This is a semi-hollow guitar... Could it be the light weight that made it feel cheap to you?

BANNED BY MOMO
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

It looks great, but I bought another Gretsch a few weeks ago it was the G2210 retail $299.00 Sweetwater included $50 Bonus Bucks so I really paid $250. It's a decent guitar I like the "Broadtron pups. I think the SX Callisto is a better guitar with exception of the pups.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... rial-stain
BrianSkeezer
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:25 am
Errrrg... That's been my opinion of Electromatics in general... That they feel kinda cheap. But in every review I've seen for this guitar they've praised the build quality, so I thought this one might be different. I guess I'll have to try one locally to find out for myself.

This is a semi-hollow guitar... Could it be the light weight that made it feel cheap to you?
I really don't know what it was about that guitar. I was a while ago, but that was the general impression that I got from it. If I remember right, they were around $500, and I thought that it really wasn't worth that to me. Sorry Moss, I wish I could explain it better. If you can find one, you may have a different experience than me.
Mossman
Reactions:

BrianSkeezer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:12 pm
Mossman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:25 am

I really don't know what it was about that guitar. I was a while ago, but that was the general impression that I got from it. If I remember right, they were around $500, and I thought that it really wasn't worth that to me. Sorry Moss, I wish I could explain it better. If you can find one, you may have a different experience than me.
That's as good an explanation as anyone can give of something as subjective as feel.

I think I'll check with my local GC and Sam Ash to see if either of them have it in stock, and go and do some "show-rooming" this weekend. :) Though I think I'm still going to wait for the 335.

BANNED BY MOMO
Mossman
Reactions:

Well, I'm out of the Gretsch game (at least for now). I ended up pulling the trigger on the Epi 335 in Raspberry Tea Burst this morning... Should be here next Wednesday.

BANNED BY MOMO
MattS
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:02 pm Well, I'm out of the Gretsch game (at least for now). I ended up pulling the trigger on the Epi 335 in Raspberry Tea Burst this morning... Should be here next Wednesday.
Looking forward to seeing pictures and reading about your thoughts of ravashing rasberry 335!

Matt