My Custom AS-1000 - An Appreciation Thread

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
slowhand84
Reactions:

Just have to do an appreciation thread for this since I've been playing it constantly over the last couple of days - my absolute favorite Agile and the greatest semihollow I have ever owned. This is a custom shop AS-1000, grabbed from Guitar Center several years ago for a whopping $199. This was custom ordered by whoever the previous owner was with a rosewood board and mother of pearl trapezoid inlays, versus the typical ebony and no inlays (or ebony and blocks) the stock models had.

It's loud as hell unplugged, sustains forever, and plays like a dream. Even the stock pickups were OK, though the guitar really got taken up a notch when I tossed in some Bareknuckle Mules and added push-pull pots, and some custom knobs to even out the aesthetics. I've never even had it set up since I purchased it, and it hasn't needed any adjusting in the many years I've owned it.

This is the guitar I throw at anyone who comes over to jam (or came over I should say, since we're now in Covid times) as a demonstration of what the good folks at Agile are capable of producing for not a lot of scratch. Even though I'm guessing that guitar was close to $900-$1000 as ordered, it still completely destroys any semihollow I've played including numerous Gibsons. Just has that "it" factor.

Some crappy pics, because for some reason the light was weird today and this is also one of the hardest guitars for me to photograph (back pics coming tomorrow, ran outta light!)

motowntom
Reactions:

:D Nice.....
slowhand84
Reactions:

motowntom wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:41 pm:D Nice.....
Thanks! It really is a winner. Here's a crapola pic of the back until I get some better ones.

ILuvTeles
Reactions:

A real looker too!
MattS
Reactions:

That is a beauty, @slowhand84, and very worthy of appreciation and admiration!

Matt
slowhand84
Reactions:

MattS wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:58 pm That is a beauty, @slowhand84, and very worthy of appreciation and admiration!

Matt
Thanks Matt! I have 4 Agiles total but this is the #1. I really wish they would bring them back, I would buy another...had another AS1000 with P90s but ended up selling that one.
jimbocaster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Artist formerly known as Shizengiggles...

That's a beauty. It is a model I never got my hands on and wish I did...
Formerly known as Shizengiggles
dabbler
Reactions:

I'm a little jealous because you got your custom for less than I paid for my stock one (seen here with his cheaper cousins).
IMGP2571.jpg
Spike
Reactions:

I'm in the same boat as @jimbocaster. I had a Harm for a while but never picked up an AS. Always wanted to, just never got around to it.

Yours is a beautiful example!
To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift
Steve Prefontaine
slowhand84
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:46 am I'm a little jealous because you got your custom for less than I paid for my stock one (seen here with his cheaper cousins).

IMGP2571.jpg
Nice little trio there! And yeah I've gotten really lucky with Agiles courtesy of good ole' GC used...gotten some unbelievable deals there over the years and kept most of them. Had a Harm P90 model that I got for just over $100 that I sold because I didn't really dig that model, but still have all the others:

-Agile AL3100 Silverburst with a pro stainless refret and Duncan JB ($240 with case)
-Agile AL3200 Custom Shop - $260
-Agile Epic - $180

GC seems to either price these stupid low and they sell in minutes, or they price them super high and they sit for 2 years with very little in between.
mickey
Reactions:

Spike wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:50 am I'm in the same boat as @jimbocaster. I had a Harm for a while but never picked up an AS. Always wanted to, just never got around to it.

Yours is a beautiful example!
I have both a Harm & an AS-1000 & the Harm will always be my favorite! :D

(I've made NO mods to the AS-1000, It is just as it arrived from Rondo!)
Agile-Harm-2JPG.jpg
Gandalf the Intonationer
JimyTheAssassin
Reactions:

That’s a good looking AS-1000! I have to agree with your sentiments. I’ve owned 3 agile guitars: 2006 AL-3000M, 2006 AS-820, and a 2008 AS-1000. The 1000 is above them all in significant ways. It’s a pure joy to play.

The Harms always intrigued me, but at the time I was trying not to acquire too much duplication in my herd. I was being silly. I should have probably gotten one of those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AGF refugee11/30/08-5/28/20 (8,502 posts)
zisme
Reactions:

sharp guitar! glad she's a keeper
frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
slowhand84
Reactions:

JimyTheAssassin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:11 pm That’s a good looking AS-1000! I have to agree with your sentiments. I’ve owned 3 agile guitars: 2006 AL-3000M, 2006 AS-820, and a 2008 AS-1000. The 1000 is above them all in significant ways. It’s a pure joy to play.

The Harms always intrigued me, but at the time I was trying not to acquire too much duplication in my herd. I was being silly. I should have probably gotten one of those too. Image

More guitars is always the right answer :lol:. Interestingly enough I was NOT a semihollow guy at all prior to getting the custom AS1000 and had little interest in them, but knowing Agile quality as I did and spotting that one for such a steal I figured I didn't have anything to lose by checking it out. Rest is history and it gets more play than both my ALs combined.
JimyTheAssassin
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote:
JimyTheAssassin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:11 pm That’s a good looking AS-1000! I have to agree with your sentiments. I’ve owned 3 agile guitars: 2006 AL-3000M, 2006 AS-820, and a 2008 AS-1000. The 1000 is above them all in significant ways. It’s a pure joy to play.

The Harms always intrigued me, but at the time I was trying not to acquire too much duplication in my herd. I was being silly. I should have probably gotten one of those too. Image

More guitars is always the right answer :lol:. Interestingly enough I was NOT a semihollow guy at all prior to getting the custom AS1000 and had little interest in them, but knowing Agile quality as I did and spotting that one for such a steal I figured I didn't have anything to lose by checking it out. Rest is history and it gets more play than both my ALs combined.
Right?! Ya maybe someday but I’ve hit my Max number for the time being which is about basically 7. If I’m talking seriously, I think I want a vintage fender next but that’s not in the cards right now. A harm could be fun if it fell into my lap though.

Anyways I always had specific targets on rondos site. I hunted for an AL-3000M until one came up used at as AGF. Then I hunted for an AS-820 and snagged a B-stock. I liked it so much that I eventually needed to see if the AS-1000 was better. And it was! I have since sold the 820 to my best friend but he has to offer to sell it back to me before he ever parts with it. Truth be told, I have more than I need so it’s hard to justify...more. Luckily my wifey is not against it and even supports my hobby. So someday. Maybe Image

AGF refugee11/30/08-5/28/20 (8,502 posts)
slowhand84
Reactions:

JimyTheAssassin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:16 pm
slowhand84 wrote:

Right?! Ya maybe someday but I’ve hit my Max number for the time being which is about basically 7. If I’m talking seriously, I think I want a vintage fender next but that’s not in the cards right now. A harm could be fun if it fell into my lap though.

Anyways I always had specific targets on rondos site. I hunted for an AL-3000M until one came up used at as AGF. Then I hunted for an AS-820 and snagged a B-stock. I liked it so much that I eventually needed to see if the AS-1000 was better. And it was! I have since sold the 820 to my best friend but he has to offer to sell it back to me before he ever parts with it. Truth be told, I have more than I need so it’s hard to justify...more. Luckily my wifey is not against it and even supports my hobby. So someday. Maybe Image

For sure! I've played the AS820 too and they're nice but I have a pet peeve against the mother of toilet seat inlay material and the AS1000 is overall a higher end model anyway. I wish my max number was 7 and I'm willing to bet my misses does too...but she's very supportive of all my passions and never tries to talk me out of a guitar (unless she doesn't think it's aesthetically pleasing) :). Also tolerates and even enjoys a huge vinyl collection in the living room, so there's that too :lol: