wiring help please

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
braindress
Reactions:

hello everyone. doing a pickup swap here and run into an issue.

my color codes are
red n start
white n finish
black a start
green north finish

using this SD diagram i have resulted in:

5) neck hb
4) some split coil combo tone(supposed to be inner coils)
3) neck hb and bridge hb
2) nothing (supposed to be outer coils)
1) bridge hb

any ideas where to check for a fail would be helpful. i’m lost on it
Attachments
B77F8368-F7AA-4E39-BC7F-2A3BEB45424F.jpeg
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Do you have a photo of what you done (vs. the diagram)? :mrgreen:
braindress
Reactions:

here is what i’ve done
Attachments
CDD17FF4-F88D-429B-8414-1FED283F9F7A.jpeg
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Hard to see all the connections on the switch. Are you confident that they're all as prescribed? And nothing is touching that shouldn't be? If you understand the function of the switch (I'm guessing this is different from a regular strat 5-way?), can you check the signal path with a multimeter in each position? Mine has an audio continuity setting - very convenient. That's what I did when working on my tele (I am more used to toggles and I found that blade switches are a bit more confusing, so I was checking after every solder point). I'm guessing you're doing this without a tone control, right?
braindress
Reactions:

so not sure how to check that. I am using an oaks grigsby 5 way super switch
braindress
Reactions:

So I checked all of the connections per the diagram. my grounds are good and my jumpers have continuity. The only thing i can think of is i used the wrong pins
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

braindress wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:58 am So I checked all of the connections per the diagram. my grounds are good and my jumpers have continuity. The only thing i can think of is i used the wrong pins
Definitely make sure of those. But it's best to look up an explanation of how it works and check each position. This page helped me understand the basics, I suspect your switch follows the same idea:

https://www.fralinpickups.com/2017/06/1 ... ch-basics/