Agile 3100

mickey
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:16 pm
glasshand wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:23 am
fullonshred wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:20 pm @Stoli - if the fret buzz continues maybe put on a new set of good quality strings. There is a known deal with some strings from overseas guitar makers causing fret buzz. Something about them having a hexagonal inner core vs round like it should be.
Interesting - and I always figured round cores made more sense - but aren't the vast majority of guitar strings hex core? It sounds like there are a bunch of tradeoffs.
https://www.stringjoy.com/round-core-gu ... r-strings/
https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/blog/he ... e-strings/
https://www.ghsstrings.com/pages/faq-guitar

I'm a happy user of DR Pure Blues (round core) but I can't say that I've noticed much difference in tuning stability or frequency of breakage one way or the other.
I think my experience was probably 6-7 years ago. If we had our old posts from old AGF I could say for sure. Maybe things have changed, but the Epi Guy, who also builds his own custom guitars was sold that the overseas strings with hex cores were causing fret buzz problems. And when I followed his advice the fret buzz went away. Maybe they have improved hex core based strings since then, or maybe my experience was a one-off fluke. But it kept me from returning an absolutely beautiful, unique guitar.
I thought ALL strings have been using hex cores for a decade or more (except for nylon/gut.)
Gandalf the Intonationer
fullonshred
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:31 pm
fullonshred wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:16 pm
glasshand wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:23 am

Interesting - and I always figured round cores made more sense - but aren't the vast majority of guitar strings hex core? It sounds like there are a bunch of tradeoffs.
https://www.stringjoy.com/round-core-gu ... r-strings/
https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/blog/he ... e-strings/
https://www.ghsstrings.com/pages/faq-guitar

I'm a happy user of DR Pure Blues (round core) but I can't say that I've noticed much difference in tuning stability or frequency of breakage one way or the other.
I think my experience was probably 6-7 years ago. If we had our old posts from old AGF I could say for sure. Maybe things have changed, but the Epi Guy, who also builds his own custom guitars was sold that the overseas strings with hex cores were causing fret buzz problems. And when I followed his advice the fret buzz went away. Maybe they have improved hex core based strings since then, or maybe my experience was a one-off fluke. But it kept me from returning an absolutely beautiful, unique guitar.
I thought ALL strings have been using hex cores for a decade or more (except for nylon/gut.)
Not according to the links Glasshand posted. I will probably go back to GHS Boomers if I start playing again. My D'Addarios were probably 15 years old when I used them to replace the overseas D'Addario's that came on the Epiphone. So they were probably still round core at that time. Or it may just have been certain brands of overseas hex strings. But the Epi Guy/Custom Builder said the hex cores made the strings oscillate differently and that it could cause fret buzz problems.
Stoli
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile 3100 MCC
Eastman TB 486
Jay Turser 220
Gretsch Jim Dandy
SX Ash Telecaster
SX Ash Thinline Stratocaster
Fender GT-40 Amp

[media][/media]Sort of having an adventure posting pictures but here is the first one. If I click on the picture it seems to turn the picture around the right way.
Attachments
IMG-0417.jpg
Stoli
Reactions:
Eastman TB 486
Jay Turser 220
Gretsch Jim Dandy
SX Ash Telecaster
Fender GT-40 Amp

Here is another.
Attachments
IMG-0411 (1).jpg
Stoli
Reactions:
Eastman TB 486
Jay Turser 220
Gretsch Jim Dandy
SX Ash Telecaster
Fender GT-40 Amp

Another.
Attachments
IMG-0413.jpg
Stoli
Reactions:
Eastman TB 486
Jay Turser 220
Gretsch Jim Dandy
SX Ash Telecaster
Fender GT-40 Amp

Full Shot.
IMG-0415 (1).jpg
Stoli
Reactions:
Eastman TB 486
Jay Turser 220
Gretsch Jim Dandy
SX Ash Telecaster
Fender GT-40 Amp

In terms of the fret buzz, that seems to have gone away. When I got up yesterday morning I did not hear it anymore so I am guessing that the guitar acclimated after spending close to a week on trucks and in warehouses. Also, it seems to hold tuning really well. I am just going to leave things alone on that for the time being and see what happens. I know that when it gets time to turn the heat on here that the guitars go nuts for a few days.
Chocol8
Reactions:

Looks like a nice one from here!
mark_morton
Reactions:

Looks sexy!
Lacking Talent
Reactions:

Nice color, enjoy!
Milkman
Reactions:

Well, welcome to the worst place in the internet to get talked out of buying a guitar! Congrats - welcome aboard.
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
toomanycats
Reactions:

I recently uploaded some pics on another thread and they appeared sideways too. I assumed that it was some screw-up at my end, but apparently not. Mods, is there some kind of glitch with the pic uploader?
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mickey
Reactions:

Someone said it only applies to pics taken with one brand (Apple?) of cell phone that have not been run thru a picture editor prior to being uploaded.
I didn't pay much attention because I do not own a cell phone & never will unless a law gets passed requiring everyone to own one.
Gandalf the Intonationer
toomanycats
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:46 am Someone said it only applies to pics taken with one brand (Apple?) of cell phone that have not been run thru a picture editor prior to being uploaded.
I didn't pay much attention because I do not own a cell phone & never will unless a law gets passed requiring everyone to own one.
I uploaded the pics that appeared sideways from the Photos program on a MacBook Air.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mickey
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:54 am
mickey wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:46 am Someone said it only applies to pics taken with one brand (Apple?) of cell phone that have not been run thru a picture editor prior to being uploaded.
I uploaded the pics that appeared sideways from the Photos program on a MacBook Air.
Perhaps it is an Apple thing? I really do not know.
I've never had it happen but own no Apple products?
Gandalf the Intonationer
Tiga
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:54 am

Same happens to me - also uploaded from macbook air. Hopefully someone has a fix.
BrianSkeezer
Reactions:

Happens with my Android phone too, but not run through an editor.
Chocol8
Reactions:

It happens with any camera device that uses meta data to set the orientation. The forum software ignores the meta data. If you click on the picture to enlarge, whatever software is handling that usually gets is right.
uglyvw
Reactions:

Congrats on a nice score and good looking guitar. Welcome aboard, it's a great place to feed your guitar addiction. I always slap on a new set of strings when I get any guitar, mostly because everything seems to come with 9's and they feel a little puny on a shorter scaled guitar.
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

We have that in common Mickey.
ronnx
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile, Squier, Ibanez, Italia, Fender., Peavey, Epiphone and Partscasters.

Nice guitar Stoli.
Stoli
Reactions:
Eastman TB 486
Jay Turser 220
Gretsch Jim Dandy
SX Ash Telecaster
Fender GT-40 Amp

On the pictures, they were made with an IPAD. I thought that it was just ignorance on my part.

The fret buzz seems to be mostly gone for the time being and it stays in tune pretty well. Have played the guitar quite a bit the past few days and will put on a new set of D'Addario 10s in a few weeks. I have used those for years with my other electrics.
jimbocaster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Artist formerly known as Shizengiggles...

That's beautiful! HNGD!
Formerly known as Shizengiggles
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Now that's a nice looking 3100, we need more NGD posts like this!
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Longblacktie
Reactions:

Awesome 3100!!!

Never had a tuning issue with mine, it’s built like a tank