RIP Eddie Van Halen

Post All Your Unrelated Stuff Here.
zisme
Reactions:

sad. f*ck cancer

he was never a huge influence on me personally. i do like the first vh album, but i haven't delved into their catalogue as of yet. saving it for a rainy day perhaps

there's no denying what a force he was. RIP
frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
Chocol8
Reactions:

fullonshred wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:26 pm
I was sitting in a dorm in college sometime on a weekday (iirc) evening

SNIP

I looked up when Eruption was released, if the internet is right it was a Friday, February 10 1978.
If it was released for sale on Friday, your memory is probably correct and you heard it on the radio on Thursday February 9th.

I remember we used to hear songs on the radio with “exclusive sneak peaks” the day before albums were released, and then the House of Guitars would reopen at midnight so you could buy it “before anyone else.” I would assume the same thing happened in most markets.
Frozensoda
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fender Standard Stratocaster
Fender LT25 Amplifier
Apogee Jam
Agile AmpKit(app)

He wasn’t one of my favorites, but god damn that boy changed the rules for the guitar. If it wasn’t for him, the 80s would’ve sounded vastly different.
DonM
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:48 pm
jhull54 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:35 pm Say it ain't so...
Appears that it is so.
Cancer is nobody's friend.
Neither are cigarettes. That’s what caused the cancer.
dearlpitts
Reactions:
Gearlist: Strat,steat,strat,agile3018,tele ,mustang

We used to go to partys in west covina they would play at back in the 70,s.been listening to that killer guitar for along time. Another one just joined the super band in here after. And I was thinking eventually he was going to put something new out. Darn.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Who else had this poster on their bedroom wall in the 80s?

Eddie-Van-Halen.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

POINT:
I'm not sure if everyone posting EVH photos with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth is iconic, or moronic. I guess they understand that cigarettes killed him....I'm not sure. One thing for sure....the American Heart Assoc., The American Lung Assoc....and all the other anti-smoking groups will be missing a HUGE marketing opportunity if this situation is not promoted.
~Jim~

Even great harmonica players suck half the time! :roll:
Chocol8
Reactions:

Perfect Stranger wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:22 am POINT:
I'm not sure if everyone posting EVH photos with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth is iconic, or moronic. I guess they understand that cigarettes killed him....I'm not sure. One thing for sure....the American Heart Assoc., The American Lung Assoc....and all the other anti-smoking groups will be missing a HUGE marketing opportunity if this situation is not promoted.
They need to market to younger people who don’t know or don’t care about Eddie. It’s mostly too late for smokers who were VH fans.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Meanwhile, Keef continues exemplifying the exception that proves the rule.
keith-richards-bw-outline-560x381.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:02 am Who else had this poster on their bedroom wall in the 80s?

Eddie-Van-Halen.jpg
I had Natassja Kinski

mozz
Reactions:

I have to agree with many of the posters here, when i first heard VH on the radio, i was like, wow, amazing, no way i can ever play that fast. Nobody knew he was tapping on the fretboard. I was 16, just got my drivers license and was in a garage band trying to play freebird and sweet home alabama. KISS was big, Frampton comes alive etc. VH 1 is a great album but i think ,my favorite was Fair Warning, after that i never really followed them except all the Van Hager they drowned the airwaves with. I did at one point modify my 86 strat with locking tremolo, a single Dimarzio super distortion, single volume control. You had to have super strat in the 80's.

All the VH songs i ever heard are now going through my head since yesterday at 330pm.
AGF refugee
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

They would not be able to do this without Ed's OK, or the OK of his estate. Also, let's wait until the body's cold.

Yul Brinner filmed an anti-smoking PSA after he found out he was terminal. It was released after his death.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
solteroblues
Reactions:

Eddie was never one of my influences, I'm really a bit young to have really grasped what he was doing. The first rock song/video I EVER remember seeing was DLR's California girls, so that was obviously in that transistional period, so VH wasn't on my radar. Later, when I started really listening to rock more, it was the Van Hager that was popular, and I honestly didn't like much if any of their stuff. I would hear I loved Hot For Teacher and You Really Got Me, but Eruption was lost on me. Sure it was unbelievable, but it was also just a little weird and out there for me. Not to mention out of my grasp of ever being able to play anything like it, as I can barely play some AC/DC songs lol. But this is very sad news, and he will be missed.
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

Rollin Hand wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:20 am
They would not be able to do this without Ed's OK, or the OK of his estate. Also, let's wait until the body's cold.

Yul Brinner filmed an anti-smoking PSA after he found out he was terminal. It was released after his death.
Sure, they could wait a year or two, I suppose. Makes no nevermind to me. I haven't smoked in in 30 years.
~Jim~

Even great harmonica players suck half the time! :roll:
jimbocaster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Artist formerly known as Shizengiggles...

toomanycats wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:02 am Who else had this poster on their bedroom wall in the 80s?

Eddie-Van-Halen.jpg
Count me in...in addition to the fluorescent pot leaf.

RIP Eddie
Formerly known as Shizengiggles
rrobbone
Reactions:

My brother sent me a text yesterday to see if I had heard. He's a bit older than I am, and he was describing my four year old face as he played the debut album for me. He said he could tell I was ruined for anything else right there.

Van Halen wasn't the first album I ever owned (Quiet Riot's Metal Health, if you must know), but they were the second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth ones.

Years later, brother would buy me a set of the complete (for the time) Van Halen catalog on CD for my Xmas present. Those are the only CDs I never sold or traded away.

I have memories of riding around with him in his friend's clapped out '67 Mustang with Judas Preist blaring at something that must've been greater than full volume somehow, all the while sliding around a slice of plywood that substituted for a back seat in that jalopy - with aggressive manoeuvers being gleefully announced by shouting, "lane change!" No seat belts, inertia slinging me from one side of the car to the other, Painkiller ruining my hearing all the while. I remember being airbourne in that car on many occasions, usually while crossing the intersection of Gibbs-Sprawl and Farm Road 78 at speeds not recommended. I know now that I survived all of life's bullshit thusfar because of my training by my brother's nutty friends. BTW, the 'Stang's name was Rhiannon. How much more of that time period can you get?

I had VH rolling non-stop in the shop yesterday, and I couldn't help but think about all the times they were on in the background during my childhood. That, and how much I really need to make myself a stripe-y guitar like Ed's, finally. I'll look for some basswood next time I roll on the lumberyard.

I hope rock and metal will see more times like the late 70's and early 80's.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

RIP EVH
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
fullonshred
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:42 pm
fullonshred wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:26 pm
I was sitting in a dorm in college sometime on a weekday (iirc) evening

SNIP

I looked up when Eruption was released, if the internet is right it was a Friday, February 10 1978.
If it was released for sale on Friday, your memory is probably correct and you heard it on the radio on Thursday February 9th.

I remember we used to hear songs on the radio with “exclusive sneak peaks” the day before albums were released, and then the House of Guitars would reopen at midnight so you could buy it “before anyone else.” I would assume the same thing happened in most markets.
This is likely correct. It seemed more like a weekday evening rather than a Friday (which we always counted as weekend). I think there were 4-5 of us hanging out in the room, and we were all like WTF when they played it.
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Just goes to show you that smoking 3+ packs a day, being an alcoholic, a heroin and coke addict doesn't usually work out all that well.

Let us not forget he also turned Valerie Bertinelli into an addict during their time together.

That said, throat cancer is a REALLY shi**y and painful way to buy the farm.
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
Partscaster
Reactions:

Bless him. He accomplished living the great life he sought. And leaves his legend as a Guitar Legend. A successful life. A fun life. Years worth of hours jamming across the ether like few get to experience. Salute.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Raindog
Reactions:

Tonray's Ghost wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:07 am

Eddie-Van-Halen.jpg
I had Natassja Kinski

Mine. In the 70s, though. In the 80's, Uncle Sam and my wife didn't approve of such nonsense.

Image Image Image Image
helsinkirocks
Reactions:

He was never one of my personal favorites, but no denying his impact and unique style.
Joined the original AGF on January 20, 2007.
Final Post Count: 4,369
aullucci
Reactions:

I can't think of anyone who looked/looks happier when playing his guitar. Everybody gets guitar face like they're somehow in pain, but he always looked like he was having the best time up there. That big dumb grin.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

aullucci wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 pm I can't think of anyone who looked/looks happier when playing his guitar. Everybody gets guitar face like they're somehow in pain, but he always looked like he was having the best time up there. That big dumb grin.
Yep. I saw them three times (1993, 1995-ish, 2012, and Ed smiled even when melting faces.

He was especially good in 2012, playing the classic stuff. I thought the roof was going to fall in after Hot for Teacher.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Glad to hear today that Ed and Sammy made peace. Life is too short for the petty stuff.
- Ron Swanson