My Fender Jaguar quasi Kurt Cobain

honyock
Reactions:

Bought this body a month ago as a project to finally get a proper offset after selling my SX SJM 62 for a princely sum.

Unfortunately left handed Jaguar necks only come via custom order via the likes of Warmoth, Musikraft, etc.

So I set upon eBay for a cheap Chinese 24" scale neck and now a month after it shipped it has arrived.

The neck looks nice, though I was expecting no skunk stripe like the pictures, as it is a rosewood fretboard, that is sort of like socks and sandals to me.

Overall the neck looks very nice, has a nice neutral poly finish with decent looking fretboard, fret ends look reasonably well dressed and at least with checked with a fret rocker the frets are halfway decently level.

I need to steal the right handed Squier tuners I had previously installed on another neck not currently in use before I can give it a go, but it seems like a halfway acceptable placeholder until the custom builders get caught up.

I've been eying the roasted maple/reclaimed Coney Island rosewood from Musikraft, but I can build a really nice Warmoth or some other smaller shop's neck for a bit less.

Once I decide, I am thinking this would fit nicely on a proper Mustang build. I will upload the pics as I get a bit deeper into the project.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
JeffBeck
Reactions:

Sounds sweet. Can’t wait to see some progress pics.
helsinkirocks
Reactions:

I love Jags and Mustangs, haha. See my signature! Look forward to seeing it come together
Joined the original AGF on January 20, 2007.
Final Post Count: 4,369
Brendan
Reactions:

Going with a thin profile on the custom build neck? Radius?
mickey
Reactions:

My Jaguar has Fenders. :)
LittleJag01.JPG
Gandalf the Intonationer
honyock
Reactions:

Brendan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:23 am Going with a thin profile on the custom build neck? Radius?
when I do go get one built was thinking a V as I like that on my Dean ML, but with a wide neck. For radius was thinking something similar to my 98 MIM strat with the more vintage style 9.5"
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
honyock
Reactions:

Got the new neck installed with the Squier tuners. I love the little hole drilling jig I have, takes all the guess work of it.
Pic
Pic
honyock
Reactions:

I found a serious issue with the neck when I set about intonating it, the overhang on a 22 fret Jaguar neck should not exist...

My distance from the 12th fret to the bridge was just about 3/16 off, which made it impossible to get the intonation even close, so I made a spacer to go inside the neck pocket that made the fretboard flush with the end of the neck pocket. This put my treble side bridge post right where Stew-Mac's calculator suggested for a 24" scale and TOM bridge. The e's now intonate within the throw of the bridge and I will finish the rest tomorrow night. They are good enough for government work where they were.

I did hit the frets and the neck itself with the 0000 steel wool to correct the slightly rough frets and the tacky neck. I think it made the finish look more like the satin Fender used to use in the 90s.

The frets are reasonably hard as it took quite a lot of work to get the frets to polish up. They could probably stand a little polishing compound at some point in the future, but for now it plays well enough.

I did give it a little relief as the neck was almost dead flat even with .010s. I replaced the junk strings I used to for the test assembly with my favored EXL110w's and noodled for a bit.
2020-06-02 00.39.41.jpg
honyock
Reactions:

Got sick of this neck, installed the one from my Harley Benton MS-60.

Tonight I got sick of the garbage tuners on the H-B neck and in a fit of rage fueled by back spasm induced pain I ordered a Musikraft Jaguar neck: roasted flame maple and coney island rosewood with imitation clay dots.
image.png