Anyone buy a guitar from Japan?

thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

A while back, I had GAS for a yellow fender guitar.
I recently found that Fender has made an FSR Made in Japan series painted in "International" colors.
One is Monaco Yellow.

Sweetwater has them listed for Pre-Order and I feel like that's the safest bet...They are about 100 celery more than I can get if I buy from someone on ebay..

Link to ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/284835589876?

My worry is buying a counterfeit guitar. Should I be worried?

Link to the rest of the colors
https://www.gearnews.com/fender-japan-i ... d-edition/
mickey
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm A while back, I had GAS for a yellow fender guitar.
I recently found that Fender has made an FSR Made in Japan series painted in "International" colors.
One is Monaco Yellow.

Sweetwater has them listed for Pre-Order and I feel like that's the safest bet...They are about 100 celery more than I can get if I buy from someone on ebay..

The only guitar I ever bought that I had to wait on them to make in Japan was a new model Gretsch that had never existed previously.
I bought it from a Gretsch dealer & never worried.
Gandalf the Intonationer
slowhand84
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm A while back, I had GAS for a yellow fender guitar.
One is Monaco Yellow.

This is a reputable shop (the eBay one), but I would not bother getting a guitar on eBay straight from Japan if it only saved me $100 over buying the same one from Sweetwater and having it shipped to me from the US. If there's any kind of issue dealing with an easy return with Sweetwater will absolutely beat having to send the thing back internationally.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I looked at Edwards guitars that were sourced in Japan and I kept searching until I found one located in the States. Is there a tariff issue?? I thought I was saving money ordering some Persol sunglasses from Italy and then Uncle Sam hit me with a tariff that washed out my savings. Sounds crazy but it happened. Not sure I would be too worried about it though if I wanted it and could not locate another source. The Fender FSR series MIM are some great playing guitars. I have not played one from Japan.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I agree 100% with @slowhand84 anything could happen coming from Japan and for me especially with it costing over $1000 I would wait on good old SW or other reputable US dealer.
thepezident
Reactions:

Perhaps I will call Sweetwater tomorrow and see how long the expected wait is..
Thanks
honyock
Reactions:

Anything over $800 is above the de minimus amount (duty/tax free below)

I miss when Thomann would sell Gibson/Epiphone or Fender/Squier.

Got a smoking deal on a Japan Fender 50s strat, and it blew my MIA and best MIM Fenders/Squiers out of the water in terms of fit/finish.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Floridian FX
Reactions:

thats-hot-that-is-unexpectedly-hot.gif
thats-hot-that-is-unexpectedly-hot.gif (209.61 KiB) Viewed 997 times
thepezident
Reactions:

@honyock So......I'll have to pay a tariff in order to get my guitar?
Do you know exactly how that happens?

To whom is it paid...how am I notified...etc...
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

thepezident wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:36 pm

The seller isn't following Fender international sales agreements or MAPP pricing. As far as I know, Japan retailers cannot sell in the US from Japan and if they do, must sell using MAPP pricing. I am guessing the risk would be it disappearing in US customs?

For me, I'd go with Sweetwater for the certainty and easier returns. If it came damaged, you'd have to foot the bill back to Japan.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
honyock
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:53 am @honyock So......I'll have to pay a tariff in order to get my guitar?
Do you know exactly how that happens?

To whom is it paid...how am I notified...etc...
I believe your freight carrier will invoice you and makes you pay the duties (at least that is how it has worked whenever I have had stuff purchased from oversees for work). It all depends upon the declarations. The HS code the shipper places on the shipping invoice what rate you are taxed. They get a bill from Customs. You get a bill from UPS/FedEx/DHL/Etc.

I was shipping injection mold tooling, resin, samples, etc and using a freight forwarder, or we would use FedEx and it just came as a bill at the end of the month...
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
golem
Reactions:

Plenty of people use Ishibashi.
thepezident
Reactions:

Sweetwater says its discontinued.
They pointed me to a seller on Reverb..