NGD: Squier CV Jazzmaster Lefty

honyock
Reactions:

It arrived, the sale is over. The prices seem to have gone back to normal all over so it was still a deal. I got a good one so no harm/no foul.

I really like the weight of it and the overall feel. Actually surprised how much lighter than my Jag it is.

Almost makes up for Ford pushing my Bronco build week out 2 more weeks...2nd week of work absolutely flew by. Glad to be around more technical stuff again, I was at times so bored at my old job even though I enjoyed it, I felt like my brain was shrivelling from not having to think hard enough.

I had a bit of an epiphany when explaining something to my daughter she had asked about now that I finally finished putting her guitar back together. I am going to kind of enjoy going back to basics teaching her for a while.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
honyock
Reactions:

Frets need polished badly. They are are very noisy when bending, much like a cheap eBay neck I have bought in the past. Kind of dissappointing for a Squier Classic Vibe to be honest.

Love the pickups. They are my 1st JM style ones, they sound really nice paired with the SCX2 that I can finally load patches on again. Found some old In The Blues ones from when I had a Mustang and loaded them in.

The vibrato is a bit of a let down, the handle just flaps around and I don't know if these have the option to tighten the shaft like my old SJM that had the lock. Even my Harley Benton Mustang with the JM vibrato works better... Need to see if I can get one of the Fender ones like on my Jag eventually, or worst case swap the HB one over to the JM, then fill the HB Mustang hole in the body when I refinish it and install a Mustang vibrato to make it a proper Mustang . The locking mechanism and screw in handle style work a lot more smoothly I think.

I did buy a buzz stop since I think the vibrato and bridge work better with a little more string tension and I don't want to be using 12s or 13s.
2022-10-19 07.52.41.jpg
2022-10-19 07.54.11.jpg
2022-10-19 07.53.50.jpg
2022-10-19 07.53.23.jpg
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I completely agree with your assessment of the CV Jazzmaster. I think we were spoiled with CV Teles and Strats punching much higher than their weight class, and the JM is more Squiery. On my CV JM, I had to move my bridge ground to the trem just to get it to stop popping because of the floating bridge design. But the bones are good. I think it's still a worthwhile mod platform, and it does sound decent.
honyock
Reactions:

Looks like if I use a thumb screw or something similar with a metal spacer that is threaded to match, I can machine a slot in the vibrato top plate and add my own locking mechanism.

Maybe if I get the right setup (use a wood block to align the plate in a machinists vise) I can do both of mine missing the lock.

Tiga
Reactions:

Congratulations on the Jazzmaster! I picked up a CV Jaguar recently and agree on the disappointment with the tremolo. I replaced mine with an American Vintage RI and it is so much better. Direct drop in too.
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

So is the JM smaller than the Jaguar?
In your pics it looks like the JM’s body and neck are both shorter and narrower than the Jag.
I always thought the two used the same body and neck.
honyock
Reactions:

I think it is just an optical illusion.

The Jag with the 1.5" shorter scale and being closer to the camera slightly with the 1.75" wide nut make it look bigger.

I will have to take a straight on pic laying side by side flat.

Can't say for sure about body thickness as I haven't compared close enough

redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

Happy belated NGD my friend a Jazzmaster is what's next on my list so great score. Sorry about the neck and trem, I would however love to hear your thoughts on it after you play it for a few weeks.