NGD: Jag-u-wah

BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

2021 Fender Jaguar Cobain NOS
Top Small.jpg
This poor guitar had a history it did not deserve before I ever touched it, but it is a keeper. I'll make sense of that for ya.

This was advertised by an established store on Reverb as a "gently used return in mint condition" at a few hundred dollars off retail. Whenever a guitar is listed as mint, I feel confident any flaws would mean a no-money-lost return, so I bought it.

I assumed the guitar had been bought and returned to the same store I bought it from - nope. Labels on the box matched the serial # of the guitar and also conveyed the guitar was originally sold new in the UK. I bought it in the US, which says the store that sold it to me bought it as a return from someone else.

I'm pretty sure the reason a retailer took it back was because the 3 pots on the lead circuit are wired wrong, so the tone and 2 volumes either give you 0 or 10, and nothing in between. I'm not even convinced anyone bought it, because it still has all its hang tags, unopened case candy, plastic, and all. The trem arm has never even come out of its bag. Maybe the store in the UK noticed the pots and noped the deal. Being lefty, I've seen this in other guitars because it seems factories teach employees how to wire a righty, but don't actually teach them what's going on in the circuit. So they get confused turning things around wiring a lefty. I don't know why they pass QC that way, but many do. I don't remember how many pots I've had to rewire for this reason, but I know I can fix it. I'm surprised it was not returned to Fender.

So I have only played the lead circuit dimed, but it does sound really good. The rhythm circuit is neck pickup only, and is darker than the lead circuit in neck only. It might be darker than I am happy with, so I might have a capacitor to change there. After all, if you want to darken it that way, roll the tone knob a bit, right?

The action was great without any adjustment. The pickup selector was wobbly, but it tightened down just fine. I changed the height of both pickups to my ears' liking, and played it for a few hours. The only thing I can't gauge is the blend of the pickups until I rewire the pots. I like both pickups and the middle position, so I will probably find this thing incredibly versatile. I think the bridge super distortion and the neck PAF were great choices. Based on 100 demos I've seen, I had worried this guitar might only be good at grunge, but no, it is versatile!

Any guitar that has a long string path from the bridge to the tailpiece I refer to as a suspension bridge, and this is one. That means there is extra untuned string vibration in everything you play, which adds a certain character to the tone. Maybe I'm quirky, but for a lot of my music, I really like that extra texture and this Jag has more of it than my favorite Jazzmaster, so it's got that going for it.
Sharp fretboard binding edge Small.jpg
I found one thing a bit uncomfortable - the binding has a very sharp 90 degree edge, not rolled even in the slightest. I don't know why they chose to make it that way, and it bugs be a little, but I really only started feeling it after I visually noticed it, so maybe I'll just get used to it. Playing got my fretting fingers nice and blackened, so I'm pretty sure I'm the first person to put this guitar through a whole sit down.

One thing that bugs me a little is the missing switch next to the pickup selector. I am almost certain my OCD will make me decide on a purpose and put a switch there. I am currently thinking phase shift, but that may change. It will be over a month before I have enough time to open up the guts and resolder anyway.

It also bugs me a bit that they put the truss rod adjustment in the heel - I don't think the look is worth having to take a neck off for a quarter turn. So far, it doesn't need it, but I expect to dislike that again sometime later.

I swear the saddle positions look backwards to me, yet the guitar is intonated perfectly. Aside from the sharp edge neck binding, there is not a fit/finish flaw to be found. And since it plays and sounds great, and is much more versatile than I expected, it's a keeper regardless of the seller not disclosing the issue with the pots. I'll just leave him a bad review (because even after I told him they were miswired, he did not offer to help get that handled).

So please excuse the non-daylight pictures of this weary traveler born in Mexico with a tour in the UK, now immigrating with papers to the US. This is my first Jag-u-wah, and I like it.

Content above edited for correction, because Fender told me a guitar returned for this reason would not have been resold.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Got a better picture thanks to daylight!
Daylight Small.jpg
Mossman
Reactions:

Looks great! It's good to see you get the locking vibrato on the MIM. I'd prefer humbuckers (or anything, really) over Jaguar single-coils. It's odd that the switch is missing. I doubt that's the way it came from the factory. It was probably a phase switch.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
msc_
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:01 pm Looks great! It's good to see you get the locking vibrato on the MIM. I'd prefer humbuckers (or anything, really) over Jaguar single-coils. It's odd that the switch is missing. I doubt that's the way it came from the factory. It was probably a phase switch.
That is the way a Cobain Jag came from the factory. I'd keep it original if it were mine. Love the guitar - Congrats!
golem
Reactions:

Weird about the UK thing. I don't like truss rod adjustment in the heel (unless it's with wheel like EBMM, MIM Charvels, and Fender Elite). But as a fan of Offsets with buckers I approve.
honyock
Reactions:

The heel truss rod adjust is why I wasn't sad to buy just the body of my K.C. Jag

The headstock adjusted neck is such an improvement in usability.

It is weird to have the different switch setup, but the 3 way is an improvement over the individual on/off switches. I wonder if the strangle switch would sound right with the humbuckers they use in this guitar.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Mossman
Reactions:

msc_ wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:05 pm
Mossman wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:01 pm Looks great! It's good to see you get the locking vibrato on the MIM. I'd prefer humbuckers (or anything, really) over Jaguar single-coils. It's odd that the switch is missing. I doubt that's the way it came from the factory. It was probably a phase switch.
That is the way a Cobain Jag came from the factory. I'd keep it original if it were mine. Love the guitar - Congrats!
Oh, right... I forgot it was a signature model.

BANNED BY MOMO
rrobbone
Reactions:

Happy new well-traveled guitar day!

The more I learn about guitar wiring, the more surprised I become about just how often a brand new model is mis-wired.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

rrobbone wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:52 am Happy new well-traveled guitar day!
The more I learn about guitar wiring, the more surprised I become about just how often a brand new model is mis-wired.
And apparently they'll ship it across the Atlantic to avoid picking up a soldering iron. :lol:
rrobbone
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:09 pm
rrobbone wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:52 am Happy new well-traveled guitar day!
And apparently they'll ship it across the Atlantic to avoid picking up a soldering iron. :lol:
Well, I must admit: soldering isn't my favorite guitar related chore.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:48 pm ...I'm pretty sure the reason a retailer sent it back to Fender was because the 3 pots on the lead circuit are wired wrong, so the tone and 2 volumes either give you 0 or 10, and nothing in between....Being lefty, I've seen this in other guitars because it seems factories teach employees how to wire a righty, but don't actually teach them what's going on in the circuit. So they get confused turning things around wiring a lefty. I don't know why they pass QC that way, but many do. I don't remember how many pots I've had to rewire for this reason, but I know I can fix it. I'm surprised it was returned to Fender and they didn't fix it on apparently their second pass with the guitar....
Is this a result of the pots being wired in reverse like every single import guitar I've ever had with the exception of maybe one or two (can't recall which) have been? It's not so bad with linear pots but audio pots wired backwards pretty much turns them into on/off switches with all the sweep compressed between 1-2/3. Every one of mine that gets a pickup upgrade also gets a new harness or the existing harness rewired so that volume and tone are increased by turning clockwise like a right-handed guitar rather than counter-clockwise like the left-handed ones...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:32 am Is this a result of the pots being wired in reverse like every single import guitar I've ever had with the exception of maybe one or two (can't recall which) have been? It's not so bad with linear pots but audio pots wired backwards pretty much turns them into on/off switches with all the sweep compressed between 1-2/3. Every one of mine that gets a pickup upgrade also gets a new harness or the existing harness rewired so that volume and tone are increased by turning clockwise like a right-handed guitar rather than counter-clockwise like the left-handed ones...
Without having opened it up yet, yes, I think this is the same issue, on all 3 main circuit pots. Most of the cases I have experienced, moving a wire from one outer pot lug to the other outer lug took care of it. But yeah, I do recall one where that only made it worse and I had to start rewiring a guitar from scratch and a diagram.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:09 am
tobijohn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:32 am Is this a result of the pots being wired in reverse like every single import guitar I've ever had with the exception of maybe one or two (can't recall which) have been? It's not so bad with linear pots but audio pots wired backwards pretty much turns them into on/off switches with all the sweep compressed between 1-2/3. Every one of mine that gets a pickup upgrade also gets a new harness or the existing harness rewired so that volume and tone are increased by turning clockwise like a right-handed guitar rather than counter-clockwise like the left-handed ones...
Without having opened it up yet, yes, I think this is the same issue, on all 3 main circuit pots. Most of the cases I have experienced, moving a wire from one outer pot lug to the other outer lug took care of it. But yeah, I do recall one where that only made it worse and I had to start rewiring a guitar from scratch and a diagram.
Yup, reverse the lug connections on both the volume and tone pots. The cap on the tone pots has to be flipped too but I take the opportunity to go to a 50s wiring scheme and wire the cap between the tone and volume pots
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

A little follow-up because I like to share info when I can help others avoid problems...

The saga still goes on, trying to deal with Prymaxe support. So I've played the guitar for about 2 weeks, but can only play it dimed, and I haven't rewired it yet. Even though I decided this guitar is a keeper, I want to hold them responsible for rewiring it correctly (not repairing it, just refunding enough to cover the cost). If that doesn't happen, I can do it myself, but if they pay for it, I'll let someone local make some money from it. I'm no longer sure it's just a matter of rewiring each individual pot, because I noticed both volumes each act as 0/10 masters. In other words, if I put either of the 2 volumes at 0, there is no sound at all. That doesn't sound like a typical case of just needing to turn around which wires are on which pot lugs. I may have to rewire the entire circuit.

Now for some odder info. It had been a long time since I had logged onto thegearpage, but searching for background on Prymaxe took me back there. I logged on, and woah. There is a 21 page thread on how bad Prymaxe is. Reading there and reddit, it sounds like I am one of the lucky ones, just given a runaround to cover the repair. If I had sent the guitar back, it sounds like I would have had a hard time getting my refund! It also sounds suspiciously like the store has a habit of acquiring bad gear and over-representing its condition until they find people who keep it anyway. So after this episode, I won't be buying from Prymaxe again, but if they end up doing the right thing, you'll hear it here too. So far, they have ignored me, then finally yesterday asked me for pictures demonstrating the problem. Pictures of pots misbehaving? I emailed them a video of the 0/10 pot behavior, and they said they would "forward it to the appropriate department for followup".

I also asked Fender how the guitar went from its birthplace to Europe, then to NJ. Fender told me the only things they B-stock are cosmetic issues, not functional ones, and that they would never re-sell a guitar with such a defect. So if Fender was not in the loop, I have to wonder where Prymaxe gets their broken returns from.
Mossman
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:01 pm
I can do it myself, but if they pay for it, I'll let someone local make some money from it.
I don't think there's anything at all wrong with you keeping the money and fixing it yourself... Your time is valuable too, you know.

BANNED BY MOMO
RockYoWorld
Reactions:

Happy NGD! I never paid attention to the extra switches on Jaguars. I just did some light reading on them and I'm still confused because I see different switch possibilities. Regardless, it definitely has intrigued me. I see myself joining the Jaguar club some day!
If I had something witty to say, I'd put it here.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I don't know how I missed this thread but I've always been curious about the Jaguar tremolo and as far as looks they're absolutely gorgeous. Congrats on a fine new instrument.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

So 3 weeks after the sale, Prymaxe was still jerking me around, either responding "give us a day to work this out" or not responding at all. I asked Reverb to weigh in, and a couple days later, Reverb tells me that Prymaxe will refund $107 toward fixing the miswired pots. I don't know how they arrived at that number since I was asking a straight $100 for the repair (I suppose $7 tax), but I feel good about that. Moreover, I will always remember to avoid Prymaxe going forward. By their reviews in various places, it appears they make good reputation selling cheaper stuff like pedals and then screw customers on more expensive gear like guitars and amps.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:41 pm I don't think there's anything at all wrong with you keeping the money and fixing it yourself... Your time is valuable too, you know.
Turns out that's what I did today. I decided doing it myself was less of a time waster than two trips downtown (drop off and pick up). All 3 main pots were miswired individually, and now it works as designed. Very happy afternoon.
Cyphre
Reactions:

A good resolution.
I love Jaguars, though I’m very much into the single coil approach for them.
I tend to not feel too precious about most guitars, even signature models, and will mod them to my heart’s desire if I decide they are keepers.
In fact, I just modded my JMJM to the point wherein all thats left is the fantastic neck ;)

Im glad this worked out alright in the end and that you love the guitar :)
Ø