A TELE AT 20: Fender 2004 Classic Series '72 Telecaster Custom Closet Queen

toomanycats
Reactions:

I came across this guitar last week at a price that was simply too good to refuse. It is in pristine condition, with zero fret wear, no scratches or dings, just dead mint. I've never owned a Tele Custom before, though I now understand the great appeal of the thing.

The guitar came in a 90s style Fender moulded hard case. The case candy was still in the compartment with the plastic bag not opened.

Much is made about how the neck pickup on these guitars is not a true Wide Range humbucker constructed with CuNiFe magnets. It's actually just a normal AlNiCo humbucker in a larger case. Many people also find this humbucker muddy. Having no experience with authentic Wide Range pickups, I can't personally say how they compare. I do find the neck humbucker warm, dark, and smooth, in a jazzy sort of way. From what I've read it is a very common mod to change the 250k pots in the neck pickup circuit to either 500k or 1 meg, which adds significant clarity and presence. Of course, some people also opt to swap the stock humbucker out and replace it with an authentic CuNiFe Wide Range humbucker.

The bridge pickup produces an unmistakable Tele tone, so no problems there. It's more on the trebly side, in the way a good Tele bridge pickup should be, with lots of bite, jangle, and spank.

Through my Bluesbreaker circuit amp the neck pickup did sound somewhat muddy. Adjusting the height of the pickup body as well as the individual poles yielded more treble. Further adjusting the controls on the amp revealed even more clarity.

But it was when I plugged the '72 Tele Custom into my 6L6 class A combo amp with a 12" Greenback that it really sounded heavenly. This guitar and that amp were made for each other, producing pure sonic bliss in tandem.

As the guitar is twenty years old, and in pristine stock condition, I must admit that I'm reluctant to change anything. The fact is, it sounds good enough as is that I wouldn't have a problem playing it on stage all night long. I mean, I would . . . if I actually gigged. :roll:

IMG_1875.jpeg
IMG_1876.jpeg
IMG_1877.jpeg
IMG_1879.jpeg
IMG_1882.jpeg
IMG_1884.jpeg
IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1886.jpeg
IMG_1887.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
toomanycats
Reactions:

IMG_1872.jpeg
IMG_1873.jpeg
IMG_1881.jpeg
IMG_1880.jpeg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Keif would be proud! HNOGD!

Your find reminded me of a mid 1960's era Fender Tele Custom (double bound, sunburst, single-single), much like Billy Squier's 'Don't Say No' guitar, which was a local music store with a price tag of $290 in 1989 and I just didn't have the cash. I can't imagine what that would be worth today and what a great guitar it was. I played it for an hour straight and was perplexed why such a great guitar was selling so affordably.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
toomanycats
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:33 pm Keif would be proud! HNOGD!

Your find reminded me of a mid 1960's era Fender Tele Custom (double bound, sunburst, single-single), much like Billy Squier's 'Don't Say No' guitar, which was a local music store with a price tag of $290 in 1989 and I just didn't have the cash. I can't imagine what that would be worth today and what a great guitar it was. I played it for an hour straight and was perplexed why such a great guitar was selling so affordably.
Out of curiosity, are you able to source CuNiFe magnets? Ever build an authentic Wide Range humbucker?

I keep reading that they can't get the material anymore, which seems puzzling, since there still seems to be a demand (at least in the niche market of guitar pickups). You'd think that somebody would step up and manufacture the stuff if there was profit to be made. Did they lose the formula for it, like what NASA did with the telemetry tapes of the moon landing? :lol:

If Fender can still build authentic Wide Range humbuckers using CuNiFe, then they're obviously able to source it from somewhere. Maybe they can get it because they purchase it in volume?
mozz
Reactions:

I may have gotten samples thrown in when i bought some magnets. If i remember correctly, there wasn't enough to build a pickup though. I'll get the name of the manufacturer, China of course.
AGF refugee
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I had of those back in the day when I was strictly a Tele guy. I liked it but I preferred my standard pickup configuration Tele. I also found that a Tele just does not translate through some amps as well as it does others. I owned several George Dennis amps for that very reason. They were made for my Tele.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Wow, out of curiosity I did a search on Reverb and Ebay for George Dennis amps for sale. There was one on Reverb and none on Ebay. They were discontinued years ago. They were wonderful amps and I am sure there are still plenty out there. I guess their owners are happy campers. I had two Blue Beetle 15W heads and I had a 30W Mighty Mouse combo as well. I preferred the heads over the combo. They had the best sounding drive channel in an amp ever, tank reverb and the clean channel had Vox sparkle and Fender meat.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

toomanycats wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 1:51 pm
Out of curiosity, are you able to source CuNiFe magnets? Ever build an authentic Wide Range humbucker?
The story on using the CuNiFe magnets was not scarcity. Quite the opposite, cobalt was becoming scarce (and still is) and Fender under the recommendation of Seth Lover, substituted CuNiFe (Copper-Nickel-Ferrite).

Its discontinuance is cited to be three-fold:
- Too labor intensive, thus costly, to mold and die the magnetic CuNiFe polepieces. The actual screws were the magnets, versus a PAF which the
poles are steel and transfer magnetism from a bar magnet below the pole.
- CuNiFe is brittle and gets more so with age. It became very common to see the heads of the poles broken off or the poles not adjusting, because
the threads were stripped.
- Original Widerange pickups were brash and as such, an acquired taste which did not become popular. My analogy is it is like the liquor, Campari.
It smells and tastes like perfume and the only people who like it, are those who drank it for decades to get used to it.

I make a PAF called the AMI HiFi, which emulates the vintage Widerange. I did side-by-side comparisons, and they are very close. I sold a few to some AGF, including @tobijohn and @golem.

I think there are a few companies (Lollar?) who are making replicas and I heard something about Fender or their custom shop doing a reissue.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
mozz
Reactions:

"I may have gotten samples thrown in when i bought some magnets."

Yes, they sent me 5 pieces, not enough to even try. The company is Sensmag, they may send you 12 pieces if you ask, BS them and say the purchase potential is for 500 pcs if the quality is good. I have the contact info here if interested. Package says 2#, not Alnico2 like the bar magnets, could be the same, i don't know.
IMG_20240820_193245458 (1).jpg
IMG_20240820_193318115 (1).jpg
IMG_20240820_193425685 (1).jpg
AGF refugee
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Fender is making the CuNiFe pickups again.

https://www.fender.com/en/parts/pickups ... l?rdl=true
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I love that guitar. Love it.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
golem
Reactions:

Yes, @andrewsrea will tell you that I've had a Tele Deluxe that may have been refinished with WRHB. Rob's pickups are about as close as you can get in a regular humbucking form factor. Given that a WHRB has a larger footprint there's a bit of the deep lows that you just can't get with Rob's. Frankly, the deep lows were almost too much for me on the neck pickup which is usually a favorite pickup for me. I loved it with the Bridge. It's a really massive sounding pickup even if you find an example without brash highs.
Tiga
Reactions:

Man that guitar is sweet on the eyes.
Joe Dampt
Reactions:
Gearlist: Stratocaster Electric
Fender Stratocaster

Sounds like you found a real gem with that Tele Custom! The debate around the neck pickup on these guitars is definitely common. While it’s true that the 90s-era models used a standard AlNiCo humbucker instead of the original CuNiFe magnets, many players still enjoy the warm, mellow tone it offers. If you ever do decide to experiment, swapping the pots to 500k or 1 meg can definitely bring more clarity and brightness to the neck pickup. That said, your experience through the 6L6 amp already sounds magical, so it’s hard to argue with keeping things stock when it’s producing tones you love. Sometimes it's best to leave a great thing as it is, especially with a guitar in such pristine condition! My credentials? I’ve been working for 6 years at Joe’s Vintage Guitars.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Joe Dampt wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:10 pm Sounds like you found a real gem with that Tele Custom! The debate around the neck pickup on these guitars is definitely common. While it’s true that the 90s-era models used a standard AlNiCo humbucker instead of the original CuNiFe magnets, many players still enjoy the warm, mellow tone it offers. If you ever do decide to experiment, swapping the pots to 500k or 1 meg can definitely bring more clarity and brightness to the neck pickup. That said, your experience through the 6L6 amp already sounds magical, so it’s hard to argue with keeping things stock when it’s producing tones you love. Sometimes it's best to leave a great thing as it is, especially with a guitar in such pristine condition! My credentials? I’ve been working for 6 years at Joe’s Vintage Guitars.
Thanks for your expert advice Joe, and welcome to the forum. You're most certainly a valuable addition to AGF brain trust.