Upgrading a Gibson?

tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Not really but I have decided to change the pups in a Gibson that I have owned for over 20 years. The ones in there are fine and sound great but I still prefer underwound hums and I think covered pups will be so much more aesthetically pleasing. My lovely bride gave me this guitar in '02 for my birthday. These were actually pretty cheap when they came out. I think she got it for somewhere between $600 and $700 and now they are selling on fleabay for $1500 and $1800. Not sure why but maybe it's the ebony board and the crescent moon inlays. I used to gig with this guitar quite a bit when I first got it but it has been packed away since. The new 335 neck and finish reminded me so much of this guitar that I got it out and have decided to put the underwound covered pups on it to match up with the 335. Not sure it will be able to dethrone the LP Jr or my Goldtop P90 but I think I will start using it, maybe even take all three to gigs.

I will keep the OEM pups and store them in the case pocket for the owner after I am long gone. The way the are increasing in value someone down the road may want to restore it to factory settings.
Faded SG.jpg
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
doc-knapp
Reactions:

Consider some Seymour Duncan Saturday Night Special Alnico 4 pickups. Hands down the most enjoyable and versatile pickups I have ever tried.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Buddha is making me a set just the way I like them. SD does make great stuff. I have a set of the PAF's signed on the back by Seth Lover that are pretty awesome but they are in the 8 ohm range. When he worked for Gibson and developed the PAF they varied somewhat between low 7s and low 9s. I really like the neck around 6.2ish and the bridge around 6.8ish. I think it is because I got so used to a Telecaster with a 15 watt amp. That was just me for a long time. When I started playing LP's I preferred P90's with about the same output. When I played one with hums I was always trying to figure it out.

These days my approach as evolved even further. I have learned the value of a treble bleed. Most places we play do not want the band peeling the paint off the walls. I turn the amp up to the sweet spot or higher and back down on the guitar volume. This tames the loudness and the treble bleed helps to maintain the tone goodness. If we do need it loud for an outdoor or large venue then we just mic it up.

I remember in the old days I thought I needed hot pickups and a 100 watt amp. Now I realize all I need is good sound and the PA can make it loud.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole