Neck Dive

tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

This new Gibby 339 I stumbled onto is an awesome guitar in many respects but it has the worse neck dive ever. If I let go of it the headstock will immediately spin to 6 o'clock. It is light weight so I love that but it is aggravating the crap out of me. Consequently I take to the gig, tune it up and have it ready but never use it. I think I am more of a 335 guy. I have several 335 "style" guitars but not a Gibson. So now I am scheming on acquiring one. I just communicated with my contact at Sweetwater to see what is the best price I can get on a particular one they have. There is also one at Sam Ash that I played and like that they still have. I have the same illness that @andrewsrea is suffering from.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Must be gear-specific GAS!

If you feel like making the 339 work or find the same condition on a new 335, the object is to remove weight from the headstock and get a comfy-grippy strap.

I recommend a set of Grover Vintage 3+3. Klusion Deluxe 3+3 tuners have a slightly finer tuning ratio (15:1 compared to 14:1) and weigh 1oz. less but require a conversion bushing and more work to install. The plastic keys and smaller casing make a significant difference in weight.

Well Hung or Levy's swede back guitar straps will take care of the rest.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tobijohn
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:22 am
Well Hung or Levy's swede back guitar straps will take care of the rest.
Yes, I was going to recommend Well Hung too. They all work well for neck dive but I think Brad might have a few that are specifically designed to address that issue...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
mozz
Reactions:

You can also add some weight to the strap end, maybe a pouch of sorts. I've added thick washers on the pots of a SG copy, not so easy on a hollow. Every little bit helps.
AGF refugee
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a super nice Well-Hung strap and it is tight but the neck is just super heavy. Not a big deal when engaged in play but when not I have to keep one hand on it to balance it. It is a wonderful guitar otherwise. Sounds fantastic and practically plays itself. I am pretty sure the answer is a new Gibson 335. I am helpless against the GAS. Maybe I will consult with Brad on preventing neck dive with a special strap.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tobijohn
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:47 pm ...It is a wonderful guitar otherwise. Sounds fantastic and practically plays itself...
I could use a guitar like that, it couldn't play any worse than I do... :)
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

tonebender wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:47 pm I am pretty sure the answer is a new Gibson 335.
Let me be the first to enable: I too think you need a 335!

Looking forward to the pics!
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
jhull54
Reactions:

Yep, post pics when you get it!

Neck dive to that degree would be a deal-breaker for me though.
tonebender
Reactions:

Happy to report the 335 is on the way. I emailed my guy at Sweetwater and requested the best price on a particular serial number and we made a deal. It will be here Saturday. Pics when it arrives. I feel pretty confident that it may be my last electric guitar purchase. I am not ruling out another acoustic or two.
Attachments
Gibson 339.jpg
Gibson 339 (2).jpg
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Oh, baby.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
tonebender
Reactions:

Just for clarification that is the 339 in the pics above. I will now start a NGD thread for the 335. My guy sent me some great pics.