2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s live demo

toomanycats
Reactions:

I've always heard it said that there are dark sounding Les Pauls, and bright sounding Les Pauls. I'm talking about irrespective of the pickups and electronic circuit, and having to do with the fact that the particular pieces wood the guitar is made of has a significant impact on the tonality. This particular Les Paul is the brightest of all I own, which is not to say bad, but just very crisp and snappy. It gives the humbuckers almost a P90 type bite. I may try 350K pots in this one, at least in the bridge position.

I also described in a previous thread that, inspired by reading that the stock Burstbucker 61 pickups are like Gibson 59 Tribute pickups only with A5 magnets, I pulled the A5s and installed rough cast A2s. This resulted in a warmer, more rounded tone. I'm very happy with that modification and highly recommend it.

Here's a short live video of the Gibson Les Paul Standard 60s being put through the paces in both pickup positions using moderate gain.

“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Very nice!
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Chocol8
Reactions:

I am a HUGE fan of the brighter ones for the same reason I like the more articulate low output PAF style pups. I can always remove unwanted treble, but it’s hard to create what was never there. Sounds great to me, as does the playing!
jtcnj
Reactions:

NIce!
Your singer sounds like she could do some Black Crows.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
toomanycats
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:51 am NIce!
Your singer sounds like she could do some Black Crows.
We regularly rotate "Twice as Hard" and "Hard to Handle" into the set list. That girl could sing the phone book and make is sound good.

“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Chocol8
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:57 am That girl could sing the phone book and make is sound good.
Do you have any direct links to a phone book video? Heck, when was the last time anyone has even seen a phone book? :D
doc-knapp
Reactions:

We're mostly on the other side of 40 on this site, but we still rock like we're 20!