New (used) Guitar Day Xs 2 Gibsons

uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

toomanycats wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:58 pm Both my 2019 Standard 60s and 2020 Standard 50s have metal inserts.
Good to know, I have noticed that they've been doing little teaser things like that over the past several years - sneaking in things like ABR bridges, burst bucker pickups, etc on the Gibson USA models. I think that's a good thing by the way.

I really have way more guitars than I need, but a bona-fide R8 or R9 has always been my holy grail of GAS. Thing is the USA models are so close that I'm still not sure I can justify the additional expense, especially since the CS prices have literally gone bonkers like everything else as of late. It wasn't all that long ago that you could pick up a nice R8 used for $2500, but those days are long gone.

Additionally, I have a 2013 Traditional which has been my "poor man's" R8 and is awfully close to the real thing. 2013 got you a full slab body ( no weight relief of any kind ), 57 classic pickups, vintage tuners, a big fat 58 neck, and old school pots/bumblebee caps. I was also fortunate to grab it from Sweetwater back in late 2013 when they had somewhat of an unprecedented "blowout" sale on Gibsons. They were selling traditionals for $1499 and Standards for $1899 IIRC ( @Floridian FX can confirm as I believe he grabbed a standard at the time ) in many colors and I got to pick my top/weight from about 30 different caramel bursts.

So really all I'd be gaining is the cosmetics of the custom shop ( VOS, period correct binding width and such ) and the one-piece back. I would imagine some day I will do it when the right deal comes along, but for now it's still nice to see them putting a lot of effort into making the USA models closer and closer.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
toomanycats
Reactions:

So I went ahead and pulled the pair of short, polished A5 magnets out of the Burstbucker 61 pickups, installed a pair of rough cast A2 magnets, then wired them into the LP Standard 60s. Wow! They're like entirely different pickups now. Whereas I found the stock Burstbucker 61s slightly boomy and a tad shrill, with the A2s the mids are noticeably pushed, resulting in a warmer, more rounded tone, while still retaining a wonderful glassiness and definition.

Both the bridge and neck pickups read in the mid 7K ohm resistance range, so definitely underwound. However, they have stronger output than the Burstbucker 1 & 2 combination in my LP Standard 50s.

So did I just create a set of Gibson 59 Tribute pickups?

If this is what the Gibson 59 Tribute pickups and the Wildwood version sound like, then I've gotta say they're some of the best vintage voiced humbuckers I've played. It's definitely that vintage PAF sound, though they're not exactly like Burstbuckers or Classic 57s.

BTW, if anyone needs quality rough cast A2 magnets, @mozz is your man. I happen to know that he has a large stockpile of them. :D
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Chocol8
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:44 pm BTW, if anyone needs quality rough cast A2 magnets, @mozz is your man. I happen to know that he has a large stockpile of them. :D
For some reason, the “@“ mozz doesn’t show up when reading your post, only when quoting it. Pointing that out so Mozz gets his shoutout if others are seeing/not seeing the same thing.
toomanycats
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:56 pm
toomanycats wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:44 pm BTW, if anyone needs quality rough cast A2 magnets, @mozz is your man. I happen to know that he has a large stockpile of them. :D
For some reason, the “@“ mozz doesn’t show up when reading your post, only when quoting it. Pointing that out so Mozz gets his shoutout if others are seeing/not seeing the same thing.
Thanks! Yeah, and I'm not joking, he ordered a bulk number of them and he surely hasn't got rid of them all yet.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
NickintheStates
Reactions:

Metal inserts on all of my recent ones here as well.
NickintheStates
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:31 pm
NickintheStates wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:13 pm Missed you man! So I've only played a sideways a few times. It's a different beast but I do like them. I've missed out on a few opportunities but have yet to own one.

Here's the Wildwood Select Standard. The group photo has my Signature T and my 2013 Standard that has a fun rock star past to it. Really digging the Wildwood. It has a similar set of 59 Tribute pickups that I fell in love with on my 2015 Traditional.

IMG_5356.jpg
IMG_5354.jpg
IMG_5353.jpg
That is a beautiful trio, especially the Wildwood.

About the 59 Tribute pickups, I've just been reading a discussion about them on the MyLesPaul forum.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/59-tr ... ps.374078/

Everyone raves about how great the 59s were that came in the Traditionals, but also about how equally good the Wildwood iteration are. I find this of great interest because the Burstbucker 61 pickups that came in this 2019 Standard of mine are supposedly something like Gibson 59s only with A5 magnets instead of A2. I wasn't over the moon about the 61s but now I'm tempted to put some rough cast A2s in them and give em another shot.
I say do it man. I love both these and my 2015 traditional variety. I had been stalking buying another set of pickups on eBay just to have on hand for the right home.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

toomanycats wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:44 pm So I went ahead and pulled the pair of short, polished A5 magnets out of the Burstbucker 61 pickups, installed a pair of rough cast A2 magnets, then wired them into the LP Standard 60s. Wow! They're like entirely different pickups now. Whereas I found the stock Burstbucker 61s slightly boomy and a tad shrill, with the A2s the mids are noticeably pushed, resulting in a warmer, more rounded tone, while still retaining a wonderful glassiness and definition.

Both the bridge and neck pickups read in the mid 7K ohm resistance range, so definitely underwound. However, they have stronger output than the Burstbucker 1 & 2 combination in my LP Standard 50s.

So did I just create a set of Gibson 59 Tribute pickups?

If this is what the Gibson 59 Tribute pickups and the Wildwood version sound like, then I've gotta say they're some of the best vintage voiced humbuckers I've played. It's definitely that vintage PAF sound, though they're not exactly like Burstbuckers or Classic 57s.

BTW, if anyone needs quality rough cast A2 magnets, @mozz is your man. I happen to know that he has a large stockpile of them. :D
Full sized A2's are about my favorite, especially for bridge humbuckers. Although I set up a super-Strat with a H-P90-H, to which I used an A5 (not fully charged) in the neck, an A2 in the P90 and an A3 in the bridge. All 3 pups are springy and musical.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
mozz
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:03 pm
Chocol8 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:56 pm
Thanks! Yeah, and I'm not joking, he ordered a bulk number of them and he surely hasn't got rid of them all yet.

Yeah i ordered a whole bunch of bar A2's, then got a great deal on Ebay for A2 strat magnets in 2 sizes. Doubt in this lifetime i will use them all up. Pretty sure I zapped them up full charge. Actually haven't see this thread pop up on my new posts menu.
AGF refugee
NickintheStates
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:05 pm
toomanycats wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:58 pm Both my 2019 Standard 60s and 2020 Standard 50s have metal inserts.
Good to know, I have noticed that they've been doing little teaser things like that over the past several years - sneaking in things like ABR bridges, burst bucker pickups, etc on the Gibson USA models. I think that's a good thing by the way.

I really have way more guitars than I need, but a bona-fide R8 or R9 has always been my holy grail of GAS. Thing is the USA models are so close that I'm still not sure I can justify the additional expense, especially since the CS prices have literally gone bonkers like everything else as of late. It wasn't all that long ago that you could pick up a nice R8 used for $2500, but those days are long gone.

Additionally, I have a 2013 Traditional which has been my "poor man's" R8 and is awfully close to the real thing. 2013 got you a full slab body ( no weight relief of any kind ), 57 classic pickups, vintage tuners, a big fat 58 neck, and old school pots/bumblebee caps. I was also fortunate to grab it from Sweetwater back in late 2013 when they had somewhat of an unprecedented "blowout" sale on Gibsons. They were selling traditionals for $1499 and Standards for $1899 IIRC ( @Floridian FX can confirm as I believe he grabbed a standard at the time ) in many colors and I got to pick my top/weight from about 30 different caramel bursts.

So really all I'd be gaining is the cosmetics of the custom shop ( VOS, period correct binding width and such ) and the one-piece back. I would imagine some day I will do it when the right deal comes along, but for now it's still nice to see them putting a lot of effort into making the USA models closer and closer.
As a guy who recently climbed that ladder... it's a wonderful thing to have an R7,R8,R9 or R0. I found a pretty good deal on a gorgeous R9 that I do love... but it's a game of diminishing returns. I sold a very similar 2003 cherry sunburst standard plus top that I loved to step up to it. In some ways I wished I still had the 2003. It had the mojo and a bit of honest to goodness wear that made it a fun player. For me at least, the R9 is excellent but didn't feel like it was "better" than some of the rest of the herd. I do love the pickups though... very different. Which is great if you still have a guitar with 57 Classics in it or the burst buckers. More vintage, more air in them.

Just be careful.... Les Pauls are addictive.
IMG_5422.jpg
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

NickintheStates wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:59 pm Just be careful.... Les Pauls are addictive.
IMG_5422.jpg
That's a pretty amazing collection for sure. And LP's are definitely my addiction, but I guess i've been able to "moderate" my purchases a bit more over the years and only have 3 ( 2013 trad, 2012 deluxe reissue, 1992 P90 studio ).

I get the diminishing return thing too - I've held and played boatloads of R series and while the are aesthetically somewhat different, it's really not all that much.

And then the other piece that complicates things is buying true vintage. I could never even sniff something from the 50's or 60s, but for the current price of an R9 you can find some interesting stuff from the early 70's or post norlin 80's that is pretty cool. Ah...the choices.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

That top of the Les Paul is HAWT!!!!!
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

NickintheStates wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:59 pm

IMG_5422.jpg
Yes, Les Pauls are addicting. I have to force myself not to splurge on another. It wouldn't be bad if I actually played more and in public. Being a home picker I can't justify another.

I keep telling myself I need to let a few go, but talk myself out of it. They have some kind a sentimental value to me (so I keep telling myself).
toomanycats
Reactions:

Sinster wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:50 pm

IMG_5422.jpg
Yes, Les Pauls are addicting. I have to force myself not to splurge on another. It wouldn't be bad if I actually played more and in public. Being a home picker I can't justify another.

I keep telling myself I need to let a few go, but talk myself out of it. They have some kind a sentimental value to me (so I keep telling myself).
What model LP is that on the left in your profile pic? I can't read the truss rod cover. Has the 60s knobs, but the 50s Klusson style tuners. I want to guess it's a Traditional, but I didn't think the pups are covered on that model. Exceptional top on that one.
Razzle
Reactions:
Gearlist: 2010 AL-2000 Goldtop Floyd
2013 AL-3200 Purple Quilt Floyd semi-custom
2017 AL-3100mcc Lemonburst Quilt Floyd

Love the LP!
NickintheStates
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:49 pm

IMG_5422.jpg

What model LP is that on the left in your profile pic? I can't read the truss rod cover. Has the 60s knobs, but the 50s Klusson style tuners. I want to guess it's a Traditional, but I didn't think the pups are covered on that model. Exceptional top on that one.
Gibson Les Paul Standard with a killer top. Dark cherry burst.
Sinster
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:49 pm

IMG_5422.jpg

'13 Traditional... that som' bitch is heavy AF with a huge '50's neck. I probably could brain smash a few zombies with that guitar and wouldn't do any damage to the guitar. Most likely would still be in tune ;)

Older pictutre
toomanycats
Reactions:

Playing the SG and LP at the News Years Eve show.
fullsizeoutput_e04.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e06.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e08.jpeg
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Beautiful guitars TMC!! I am a Gibson man. My favorite since getting it is my 60's Tribute P90 Goldtop. It is like an extension of my soul.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole