I rebuilt a '62 Melody Maker a little while ago

Friedl
Reactions:

This is a fantastic little rock machine. It's light and very resonant, and sounds great on an overdriven tube amp.
IMG_0766.jpg
This is how it started. Yeah, that's brown paint brushed onto the body. We were calling it "whole wheat burst". The neck was broken in two places and it had some less professional forstner bit work in the past.
IMG_0670.jpg
2nd-year bassist for about 30 years
msc_
Reactions:

Nice! What pickup are you using?
Friedl
Reactions:

msc_ wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:57 pm Nice! What pickup are you using?
It’s a Zhangbucker Tireiron in mini-hum format. I bought a used pickguard loaded with it to get the pickup and the template to make my own pickguard. Playing Joan Jett songs or No Sleep Till Brooklyn by Beastie Boys sounds about perfect, buts it’ll do punk rock all day, too.
2nd-year bassist for about 30 years
Mossman
Reactions:

Nice work! But if it were me, I don't think I'd be able to resist putting a neck pickup in there, since it has the routs for it. But I haven't caught the one-pickup-guitar bug yet.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
msc_
Reactions:

Friedl wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:25 pm
msc_ wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:57 pm Nice! What pickup are you using?
It’s a Zhangbucker Tireiron in mini-hum format. I bought a used pickguard loaded with it to get the pickup and the template to make my own pickguard. Playing Joan Jett songs or No Sleep Till Brooklyn by Beastie Boys sounds about perfect, buts it’ll do punk rock all day, too.
I have a newer MM (2000s) that's loaded with a pair of Buddha filter-tron style HBs that does the same thing. Those MMs are great great little guitars!
image.png
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

You sir, are doing the Lord's work.
I love to see a wreck of a guitar or bass lovingly repaired/restored.