Yeah...You're Absolutely Right...

LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

I went "Bonzo Cadillac" this year on Firefly Guitars. :)

They remind me of the EARLY and HEADY Days of Rondo.

Inexpensive and a great MOD platform which I've never ventured into before
but I figure they're a low risk investment and you're never too old to learn.

SO FAR I'm up to 25 and the wife is fine with that...believe it or not.

She even picked quite a few out. Think I'll keep her. :)

More to post but I'm tired right now. So you'll just have to wait. LOL!

Patrick
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
toomanycats
Reactions:

LightWingStudios wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:36 pm I went "Bonzo Cadillac" this year on Firefly Guitars. :)

They remind me of the EARLY and HEADY Days of Rondo.

Inexpensive and a great MOD platform which I've never ventured into before
but I figure they're a low risk investment and you're never too old to learn.

SO FAR I'm up to 25 and the wife is fine with that...believe it or not.

She even picked quite a few out. Think I'll keep her. :)

More to post but I'm tired right now. So you'll just have to wait. LOL!

Patrick

Ya know, "Bonzo Cadillac" would be a great band name, like in the psychobilly genre.

I'm very much enjoying your Firefly threads, and I'm getting mighty tempted myself. I've come across them a few times in person, but they're always marked up near double the price you can order them new.

I was going to ask how many you've got so far, because it's seemed like an awful lot. At 25 you've probably spent around what a single Gibson ES-335 would cost. I believe it was Stalin who said something to the affect that "quantity has its own quality," and there's some truth to that. You must feel like a kid on Christmas morning opening up all those boxes of Fireflys.

Keep the pics coming. You're definitely bringing back some of that old time AGF, Rondo feeding frenzy vibe with your posts.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Partscaster
Reactions:

Congrats on another. May your collection continue to be rewarding as years and mods go by.

I wade around my collection of SX and partscaster guitars, with a few others sprinkled in the mix. While I feel I am likely done acquiring more guitars, it has been a great hobby to mod. And I modded just about everything. I learned a great deal about parts vs tone. Had I been buying and selling stock guitars, looking to find the best stock I could afford, I probably never would have found the likes of my best particular pairings.

After getting a group of guitars all dialed in with mods, a multi guitar pickup reshuffle amongst those still needing "something" can be very surprising and rewarding. Some hunches prove wrong, some produce better tones.
As much as some of my set neck modded guitars are now producing vintage-like tones, I also love strat casting for the neck and body shuffling options. Tap testing each piece and post-it labelling the result on he body and neck, trying out the different pairings, is worth it. Then, pickup-set pairing to the wood pairings. All levels of discovery I never would have stumbled upon if I didnt buy and mod a good collection.

I'm gonna say, for me who tends to be on a more vintage tone hunt, that last 10% of pickup tone I paid double for,....is totally worth it for a few "forever keeper" guitars. I'll be selling plenty of good "also ran" pups and guitars down the line. But, those best vintage sounding winders I found tend to be ones who had dissected vintage parts and had them analized by metalurgists, and had wire and mags created as close to old spec as possible. Its subjective. Its contentious. But having the ability to do multiple side by side comparisons leaves me knowing I'm glad I had a big collection to do so much comparative modding with.

Looking forward to see more pics of your guitars, and to hear about the mods.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."