Pedal Problem

jhull54
Reactions:

I have a Blackstar Drive pedal that I really like. I just had the end of the tip and ring patch cable come apart, and the end is now stuck inside the IN jack and I can't get it out.

Any suggestions on how to get the damn thing out, or is this pedal toast? I'm not confident of my soldering abilities with this, so if any of you pedal gurus have a suggestion or want to make a few bucks, I don't mind sending it to take a look at it!
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

ooph.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Partscaster
Reactions:

If you cant fix it, dont loose hope. I'm sure there are pedal repair shops locatable thru internet, and mail. Perhaps near your area..or within reasonable mailable distance. I had trouble with a VFE Bluesking and sent it to an outfit in MA. 30$ and a few weeks later and it was back and fixed. Was one of its tiny solderable components that died...that I would have no chance of discovery or fixing. Thats a 200$ pedal saved, was discontinued years ago, and one of my fave blues ODs.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

jhull54 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:07 pm I have a Blackstar Drive pedal that I really like. I just had the end of the tip and ring patch cable come apart, and the end is now stuck inside the IN jack and I can't get it out.

Any suggestions on how to get the damn thing out, or is this pedal toast? I'm not confident of my soldering abilities with this, so if any of you pedal gurus have a suggestion or want to make a few bucks, I don't mind sending it to take a look at it!
You can always send it to me. I'll repair it for the cost of shipping and parts (unless I have the part in my stash, the no cost of parts). PM me if interested.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
glasshand
Reactions:

jhull54 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:07 pm I have a Blackstar Drive pedal that I really like. I just had the end of the tip and ring patch cable come apart, and the end is now stuck inside the IN jack and I can't get it out.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but why don't you open up the pedal, then use a small tool (toothpick, end of a small screwdriver, whatever) to poke the end out of the jack? Unless it's one of those horrible fully enclosed jacks...
mickey
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:22 pm
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but why don't you open up the pedal, then use a small tool (toothpick, end of a small screwdriver, whatever) to poke the end out of the jack? Unless it's one of those horrible fully enclosed jacks...
I've been wondering the same.

Mickey
Gandalf the Intonationer
jhull54
Reactions:

Thanks all.

Yeah I tried opening it up, but literally, the TIP of that cable is stuck. Check this out.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

honyock
Reactions:

Is it in the TRS side or the TS side? If you lift the spring on the jack does the tip move more easily inside the jack?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
bc rich
Reactions:

Macgyver says put a few drops of super glue in a q-tip and insert into part , lift spring as honyhock suggested and good luck.
jtcnj
Reactions:

The super glue is a good idea, but it might get places it shouldn't when you insert the q-tip. You could try some different screws or bolts, or an ez-out type screw extractor to see if it will grab it enough to pull it out, while gently lifting the springs if need be.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

My internet is wonky and my post from yesterday didn make it.

Try this: with a small-bladed jeweler's screwdriver (like that which comes in a eye glasses repair kit), lift the tip contact away from the jack body, about 1/8". With a pair of thin needle nose plyers or with tweezers, try and leverage the tip out towards the opening of the jack.

Alternative, drill a small hole in the end cap of the jack and push the cable tip out with the drill bit or a jeweler's screwdriver.

I don't recommend sticking super glue into the jack, for obvious reasons.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob