Anyone familiar with the String Butler?

tobijohn
Reactions:

I had never seen or heard of this before I saw one on a used Agile AL-3010SE. They go for around $50 new and while it seems like an ingenius idea, is its effect really noticable?

https://www.string-butler.com/

https://reverb.com/item/57510713-agile- ... x0309-used
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
mickey
Reactions:

Don't see why anyone would want one?
tanglestrings.jpg
tanglestrings.jpg (13.54 KiB) Viewed 1738 times
:D

In case anyone is interested, that pic is legit in that it is a Martin flat top guitar as it was brought in for repair to a luthier I once knew.
Gandalf the Intonationer
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I guess it makes sense in theory, but then again so did new Coke
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I've never tried one, but always suspected they might make nut buzz slightly more possible by not letting the strings at least lean into one edge of the slot. That perception might be completely off base though, so I'd love to hear any informed positions.
dabbler
Reactions:

I like what it's trying to do. one of the, many, things Leo did right was straight string pull through the nut. I just may order one or two to try out. I also like that it's reversible without any visible evidence off its use!

On the string buzz increasing, I think that's not an issue. Since the slot is angled downwards towards the tuners, as long as the string contact at the nut exit is solid, I would think the nut would hold it sufficiently tight.
tobijohn
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:11 pm I like what it's trying to do. one of the, many, things Leo did right was straight string pull through the nut. I just may order one or two to try out. I also like that it's reversible without any visible evidence off its use!
Yeah, I'm curious too but in no great hurry so if a used one shows up on eBay or Reverb for $25 or so, I'm game. If that Agile was about $100 cheaper, I'd pribably go for it because it also has one of those Duesenberg Les Trem IIs which I'm mildly interested in as well but go for around $125 new...
toomanycats
Reactions:

Never heard of a String Butler before, though I know about Band Maid. ;)
380f8b28f00b35946bdbbc1ca615c5fa.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
jtcnj
Reactions:

Kinda cool gadget, but I think a properly cut nut is the better route.
The slots can be cut angled toward the tuning machines, and / or the fall away can be opened up in a cone or horn shape.

image.png
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
tobijohn
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:07 am Never heard of a String Butler before, though I know about Band Maid. ;)

380f8b28f00b35946bdbbc1ca615c5fa.jpg
The outfits are pretty silly, but they can bring it all right:

littlebadboy
Reactions:

Friend of mine loved it on his DBZ Cavallo!

BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:30 am Friend of mine loved it on his DBZ Cavallo!

Gotta say it goes perfectly with the look of that headstock, but I can't imagine it doing anything with a locking nut.
tobijohn
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:30 am Friend of mine loved it on his DBZ Cavallo!
It's just my personal preference but sorry, those headstocks make me want to run from the room screaming with my hands waving over my head...:)
littlebadboy
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:52 pm It's just my personal preference but sorry, those headstocks make me want to run from the room screaming with my hands waving over my head...:)
It was actually a beautiful guitar. I don't like V guitars, except for this one.

Different guitar, same model:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:45 pm Gotta say it goes perfectly with the look of that headstock, but I can't imagine it doing anything with a locking nut.
Good point. But, you still have to tune it before locking it, right?
dabbler
Reactions:

I wasn't until this thread, but after installing a pair, I'm loving them!
PXL_20220726_192759861.jpg
I'm not totally sure that the effect they have is significant, but I DO like my strings to travel perpendicularly through the nut and this makes it possible on my fav LPs.
toomanycats
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:45 pm

Gotta say it goes perfectly with the look of that headstock, but I can't imagine it doing anything with a locking nut.
I saw a used Kramer Pacer Reissue at Guitar Center last week which somebody had modified. Amongst the upgrades was a set of locking Schaller tuners. The guitar has a Floyd and lock-nut. What possible good are locking tuners? About as useless as tits on a bull. :lol:
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:30 pm I saw a used Kramer Pacer Reissue at Guitar Center last week which somebody had modified. Amongst the upgrades was a set of locking Schaller tuners. The guitar has a Floyd and lock-nut. What possible good are locking tuners? About as useless as tits on a bull. :lol:
Locking tuners do make string changes a bit easier. Beyond that, yup!
dabbler
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:30 pm
I saw a used Kramer Pacer Reissue at Guitar Center last week which somebody had modified. Amongst the upgrades was a set of locking Schaller tuners. The guitar has a Floyd and lock-nut. What possible good are locking tuners? About as useless as tits on a bull. :lol:
While it is true that you don't need locking tuners if you have a locking nut, I love, love, love Planet Waves Auto-trim tuners, and would put them on any fav guitar even with a locking nut (however none of my fav guitars have Floyds).

Why, you ask? It makes string changes fast, easy and tool-less!
toomanycats
Reactions:

The original “locking tuner.” Still works great for me. Same knot that sailors, cowboys, and Boy Scouts have been using forever. Simple, free, and 100% effective.

C9A14C8E-E08A-4599-9E55-7EA500BC210F.jpeg
jtcnj
Reactions:

+1^^^

I've always used that method and it is rock solid as long as the string wraps dont overlap.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
bc rich
Reactions:

Most likely not your cup of tea but an interesting idea , maybe in a non skully version.
version2-1-300x300.jpeg
version2-1-300x300.jpeg (17.25 KiB) Viewed 1445 times

Flatline
Reactions:

bc rich wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:48 pm Most likely not your cup of tea but an interesting idea , maybe in a non skully version.

version2-1-300x300.jpeg

seems like you could just add a fender string tree and accomplish the same thing.
dabbler
Reactions:

Flatline wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:10 pm
bc rich wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:48 pm Most likely not your cup of tea but an interesting idea , maybe in a non skully version.

version2-1-300x300.jpeg

seems like you could just add a fender string tree and accomplish the same thing.
It does at that! ;)

This is one of those (admittedly few) times when I feel spending more money (to get a string butler) is worth it. The rollers can slide up the posts, if necessary, you get guides for the A and G strings as well and well rollers are just better than friction contact points.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I just realized another actual application for these - cleaning up a bad headstock design. Because damn, tuners should not act as string trees, Eastman.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I've seen them twice. Really handy for guitars that do not have straight string pull through the nut (say the LP where the D and G string binds, then lets loose during that fantastic riff, turning it into a trainwreck).

Once like above along with a locking nut which made no sense and another was a Dillon LP copy.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:37 am I just realized another actual application for these - cleaning up a bad headstock design. Because damn, tuners should not act as string trees, Eastman.
I would just wind the low and high E strings on that Eastman the other way. It would at least clean things up a little.

For Floyds, I generally put the ball end of the string at the tuners. Easy as locking tuners when you already have to cut the string to lock at the bridge.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson