Advice on filing back fret sprout?

glasshand
Reactions:

A couple of my guitars have developed moderately bad fret sprout (thank you, Northeastern winters and baseboard heaters) and I'd like to learn how to fix it. Anybody here have any experience with doing this? I have the StewMac Rough Fret Smooth + Shine Set, but honestly it seems like what I really need is more like a leveling file like Dan Erlewine describes here, because I can't imagine trying to knock back all the fret ends (without putting marks in the fretboard edges) with a little file like the fret leveling file.
honyock
Reactions:

I prefer to use a room humidifier. Give it a week or two and it fixes most fret sprout on any guitar I have purchased.

Even in the absurdly low low humidity we have here basically 9 months a year.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
mickey
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:34 pm I prefer to use a room humidifier. Give it a week or two and it fixes most fret sprout on any guitar I have purchased.

Even in the absurdly low low humidity we have here basically 9 months a year.
Here in Floriduh, we use room DEhumidifiers for the same final result. :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
Morrison
Reactions:

I recently bought this fret end file. I had a few guitars with fret ends that needed filing. I “practiced” on the Squier Strat I have. It really wasn’t too difficult and made a huge difference. Next time I change the strings I’m going to re-work a few of them.

Watch a YouTube videos if needed.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... SsEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I have one of the StewMac fret end files but don't really use I prefer to use a 6" flat file and I just use painter's tape on the fretboard to protect it from the file. Just be careful and don't be afraid to use some elbow grease it will come out fine.
glasshand
Reactions:

Incidentally, I found this pretty cool overview of files, which explains a lot of stuff I never knew:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... OhlOXL.pdf
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

I use a Stew Mac diamond fret leveling file on a roughly 60 degree angle from the fretboard, then finish with a fret dressing file.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob