I put the David Gilmour wiring in my #1 Strat

I put the Eric Johnson turbo wiring in my #2 Strat

I put the plain Eric Johnson wiring in my #3 Strat

:ugeek:
~Jim~

Even great harmonica players suck half the time! :roll:
golem
Reactions:

I know a little bit about EJ Wiring because @andrewsrea likes it. But, I don't actually know what the turbo wiring is.
mozz
Reactions:

Gilmore was the small added switch?
AGF refugee
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:51 am Gilmore was the small added switch?
Yes, it gives you the 7-way switch.
~Jim~

Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

golem wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:03 am I know a little bit about EJ Wiring because @andrewsrea likes it. But, I don't actually know what the turbo wiring is.
The regular is just a regular ol' EJ harness. The Turbo has the solderless switch, vintage wiring, and a vintage p-I-o Cap.
Basically cost twice as much, but sounds exactly the same. :lol: More a name than a different tone.

I do like the EJ tones though. The Gilmour sounds good, but doesn't seem as versatile to me.

Doing the upgrades was nothing heroic, basically just drop-ins and install the pickups. ANYONE could do it....
~Jim~

Mossman
Reactions:

Perfect Stranger wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:14 am
Well whaddaya know... My Strat has the Gilmore mod, and I didn't even know it was the Gilmore mod. :)

I didn't find it quite as useful as I imagined, either... I like having the bridge and neck pickups on at the same time, but engaging all three isn't nearly as epic as I thought it would be. It's pretty useless, actually.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Perfect Stranger wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:25 am
The regular is just a regular ol' EJ harness. The Turbo has the solderless switch, vintage wiring, and a vintage p-I-o Cap.
Basically cost twice as much, but sounds exactly the same. :lol:

I do like the EJ tones though. The Gilmour sounds good, but doesn't seem as versatile to me.
I appreciate you explaining the 'turbo'. I had never heard of it.

Like @golem stated, I personally find the EJ wiring in the Strat is mandatory. I have been recently doing work for a local guitarist named TJ and yesterday he told me he never uses the bridge pickup on his Highway 1 Strat, but actually uses the bridge position on his EJ model. I said it is because of the tone being moved from the neck to the bridge position. It tames that position.

The Gilmore mod (actually Craig Anderton mod) can be good for the bridge-neck combo, if you have a bridge pickup that leans into Tele territory. If you copper tape to the underside of your pickguard at the bridge pickup and ground it, then affix a grounded steel plate to the bottom of the bridge pickup, using silicone caulk as a non-conductive adhesive - you can get close.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:02 am
Well whaddaya know... My Strat has the Gilmore mod, and I didn't even know it was the Gilmore mod. :)

I didn't find it quite as useful as I imagined, either... I like having the bridge and neck pickups on at the same time, but engaging all three isn't nearly as epic as I thought it would be. It's pretty useless, actually.
Thanks so much....
~Jim~

Perfect Stranger
Reactions:

One thing I think I did forget, and I don't feel like looking to see. Some of the pots and caps values changed which can, as you know, change the tone quite a bit.
~Jim~

Mossman
Reactions:

Perfect Stranger wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:09 pm
Mossman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:02 am

Thanks so much....
I'm not really sure what you mean by that, Jim.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO