OK, what did I do wrong? Coil is split in the DOWN position

tobijohn
Reactions:

Installing a set of SD Saturday Night Specials in an AD-3200MMC and as i always do, reversed the wiring so that it is in a right-handed configuration so the proper sweep is restored. That is, turning the control knobs clockwise will increase both volume and tone. I've done the latter literally close to a hundred times with standard pots but IIRC, only once before with push/pulls. When it comes to wiring, I'm just a monkey working for the banana so i have no idea of why something works the way it does, only that if I duplicate the pretty picture, all will be fine.

The green/white leads from the pickups are twisted together and then soldered to one of the middle of the two vertical rows poles on the tone push/pull. For some reason, Agiles with split coils use the tone controls instead of the volume like every other split coil guitar does and I could find no wiring diagrams for this configuration. The cap is soldered to both the lower lugs of the two rows and the side of the pot on one end.

As I type this, I remember now that i have an old AL-3100MC that I installed some Giovanni GVH-1s in so I'll pull the cover on that and take a look. However, if what i did wrong is obvious to anybody, please let me know so if someone ha s the same issue in the future, there is a searchable solution. TIA...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
ID10t
Reactions:

It seems like a simple fix.
Change cap from bottom lug to top lug.
However there seems to be some stuff wrong with all that. Such as why the cap is soldiered there, it should be from the center POT lug to ground (Earth). Green/bare should be to top vertical lug and red/white should be to center vertical and black should goto ground.
That seems righter to me.
You're correct that the Tone vs Volume shakes it up but only on that you need to look at the whole thing as six switches regardless.
tobijohn
Reactions:

D_oh_small.jpg
D_oh_small.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
You are right regarding the pairing of the leads, I did it incorrectly - red/white go together and soldered to one of the middle poles, green/bare go to ground, black is live. While the cap wiring is a little baffling, that's how it was originally. Anyway, as long as I have it apart again, I think I'll just do 50s where the cap goes from the tone pot directly to the volume pot...
ID10t
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:18 pm D_oh_small.jpg

Got the wires paired incorrectly - red/white go together and soldered to one of the middle poles, green/bare go to ground, black is live...
D'oh, you are correct, black is live and doesn't goto ground, it goes to volume lug 1.
I have to write out my wiring before I soldier.
tobijohn
Reactions:

ID10t wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:23 pm
I have to write out my wiring before I soldier.
I've got no excuse, i was looking right at the diagram sheet that came with the pickups and still did it wrong...
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:56 pm When it comes to wiring, I'm just a monkey working for the banana so i have no idea of why something works the way it does, only that if I duplicate the pretty picture, all will be fine.
Even if I think I understand the whole circuit, I still feel exactly this way when I pick up the soldering iron.

Side note - not every manufacturer's diagrams are always correct. You might follow one to a T and still not be happy.
mickey
Reactions:

Why didn't you just loosen the nut & rotate the switch 180 degrees? :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
tobijohn
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 am Why didn't you just loosen the nut & rotate the switch 180 degrees? :D
I don't understand what you mean. That will work with a three way toggle switch where the positions are reversed (I've done that) but not with control pots
mickey
Reactions:

Oh! I thought you were talking about a toggle switch, not a push/pull! DOH!
Gandalf the Intonationer