Wraparound Bridge for Les Paul Jr. .....

Pickup and Parts reviews, advice, discussions here
Lamf77
Reactions:

Les Paul Jr. copy to be exact. The pole spacing on the bridge studs is about 80.5 mm and making it really hard to find bridge that fits. Most are too wide and have gone back to Amazon. If anyone has any history with this....let me know what you used. I was trying to keep it reasonable, but now cost may not be an object. I was hoping for a Bad Ass Leo Quan type, but one "import" that I did try...which fit....left the action way too high. Thanks!
Attachments
Guitar.jpg
glasshand
Reactions:

If it's really 80.5mm, that does seem oddly small.

I like the Gotoh 510UB and I have it on my LPjr type (also an import) but the dimensions are given as 82mm.

The Hipshot Baby Grand gets good reviews but that one's listed at 82.75mm.

Stewmac's "Golden Age Low-profile Wraparound Bridge with Metric Studs" claims to be 81.8mm and, obviously, is supposed to be very low-profile, enabling you to keep a low action.
tobijohn
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:27 pm If it's really 80.5mm, that does seem oddly small.

I like the Gotoh 510UB and I have it on my LPjr type (also an import) but the dimensions are given as 82mm.

The Hipshot Baby Grand gets good reviews but that one's listed at 82.75mm.

Stewmac's "Golden Age Low-profile Wraparound Bridge with Metric Studs" claims to be 81.8mm and, obviously, is supposed to be very low-profile, enabling you to keep a low action.
The Gotoh bridge was my initial solution for high action with a stock wraparound that was too high and it definitely is low enough. I like the aesthetics of it, too. I went with Musiclily because of the price, at the time it cost about 1/3 as much and I needed about a half dozen...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Does it have serious intonation problems?

I ask because on a couple of well-made guitars that I have encountered with a non-adjustable bridge, intonation was either spot on (my PRS McCarty, a 1960 Gibson LP Junior, a 1964 Fierbird I) or close enough for rock n roll (a couple of Epiphone Jrs and a newer Gibson Jr).
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

The OEM wrap around bridge on my Chibson LP Jr Single P90 would not intonate. That is the chance one takes with a Chibson for $225 Since it is a Chibson I had not idea what would fit so I put a rather inexpensive wrap around bridge with adjustable saddles. My guy had top to a little machine work on the posts to make it fit right but it spot on now. Under $50 including machine work and installation. Tuners, an Alnico II P90 along with that bridge and this is one of my all time favorite players.
Attachments
LP Jr Bridge.jpg
LP Jr Bridge.jpg
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Lamf77
Reactions:

Well @tobijohn suggested filing the inner areas of the bridge...after about 10 minutes of filing, I got enough off and now it fits! I was hoping for the Leo Quan Bad Ass...but at 16mm would be a bit high. This should suffice. Thanks all!
Attachments
PXL_20240111_193036222.jpg
Lamf77
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:20 pm The OEM wrap around bridge on my Chibson LP Jr Single P90 would not intonate. That is the chance one takes with a Chibson for $225 Since it is a Chibson I had not idea what would fit so I put a rather inexpensive wrap around bridge with adjustable saddles. My guy had top to a little machine work on the posts to make it fit right but it spot on now. Under $50 including machine work and installation. Tuners, an Alnico II P90 along with that bridge and this is one of my all time favorite players.
That looks like one of the Leo Quan Clones on Amazon or eBay. They usually measure 82 mm....hence the work needed to make it fit, since I would gather most Chibson are around 81mm. Both of my Chibsons are 81 mm.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Lamf77 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:19 pm
That looks like one of the Leo Quan Clones on Amazon or eBay. They usually measure 82 mm....hence the work needed to make it fit, since I would gather most Chibson are around 81mm. Both of my Chibsons are 81 mm.
In my experience, that style has almost always been too high to get the action down to spec...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

tobijohn wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:29 pm
In my experience, that style has almost always been too high to get the action down to spec...
I am not sure of the brand. I had purchased a Hipshot harp bridge for it like the one I put on my Melody Maker. After attempting installation my guy called and said it would not fit. I had suspected that may happen but I was hoping it would work. After studying the situation we decided not to modify the Hipshot but put it on my SG Jr. He said he had this one on the shelf, it was cheap and he could mod it to make it work so I went with his suggestion. The action is perfect and could even go a little lower if need be. I gig with it pretty regularly and it is a wonderful player. I have 9 Gibson and 3 Chibson guitars. The Chibsons get a lot of play and hold their ground. I am taking one to the gig today. It is a Goldtop Standard with Seymour Duncan PAF's autographed by Seth Lover, Kluson tulips, 50's wiring harness and it my best HH Les Paul. It only has one con, it is heavy.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Lamf77
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:26 am
tobijohn wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:29 pm
I am not sure of the brand. I had purchased a Hipshot harp bridge for it like the one I put on my Melody Maker. After attempting installation my guy called and said it would not fit. I had suspected that may happen but I was hoping it would work. After studying the situation we decided not to modify the Hipshot but put it on my SG Jr. He said he had this one on the shelf, it was cheap and he could mod it to make it work so I went with his suggestion. The action is perfect and could even go a little lower if need be. I gig with it pretty regularly and it is a wonderful player. I have 9 Gibson and 3 Chibson guitars. The Chibsons get a lot of play and hold their ground. I am taking one to the gig today. It is a Goldtop Standard with Seymour Duncan PAF's autographed by Seth Lover, Kluson tulips, 50's wiring harness and it my best HH Les Paul. It only has one con, it is heavy.
Could you please post a few more pictures of the bridge from front and back. There are several out there which are very similar. But slightly different....which I guess is being redundant. Anyway....if I could find one close to yours I may try it. Looks like more will be needed, but has the Leo Quan look. Thanks