AMI Leverage Strat Pickups - We Have Liftoff!

Pickup and Parts reviews, advice, discussions here
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

AMI Leverage Strat Set

I wanted to share the build process of a new AMI model of Strat pickup set, which was requested by @thepezident and @RiverDog.

Using the concept of Rabea Massad's BareKnuckles set, to make a Strat (single-single-single) able to traverse sounding like a 1964 model and legitimately handle heavier genres like metal and rock.

I am at pre-testing phase waiting on one part (steel base reflectors for the bridge pickups), so these may get tweaked. But here are pic of the buildup and specs (because of magnets used and different wire gauges, the DC resistance is only slightly indicative of tone & power):

Bridge: Alnico 3 vintage beveled .195 rod magnets, AMI magnet stagger. 7.8K @74 degrees F. 1964 type enamel coil wire. Vintage cloth wire & wax potting.

Middle: Alnico 5 & 2 vintage beveled .187 rod magnets, Modern magnet stagger. 6.5K @74 degrees F. 1964 type enamel coil wire. Vintage cloth wire & wax potting. RWRP for hum cancelling in the #2 & #4 selector positions.

Neck: Alnico 5 vintage beveled .187 rod magnets, Vintage magnet stagger. 6.1K @74 degrees F. 1964 type enamel coil wire. Vintage cloth wire & wax potting.
(Parts is parts)
(Parts is parts)
(magnets are pressed-in!)
(magnets are pressed-in!)
(ready for wax!)
(ready for wax!)
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
RiverDog
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:07 am AMI Leverage Strat Set

I wanted to share the build process of a new AMI model of Strat pickup set, which was requested by @thepezident and @RiverDog.

Using the concept of Rabea Massad's BareKnuckles set, to make a Strat (single-single-single) able to traverse sounding like a 1964 model and legitimately handle heavier genres like metal and rock.

I am at pre-testing phase waiting on one part (steel base reflectors for the bridge pickups), so these may get tweaked. But here are pic of the buildup and specs (because of magnets used and different wire gauges, the DC resistance is only slightly indicative of tone & power):

Bridge: Alnico 3 vintage beveled .195 rod magnets, AMI magnet stagger. 7.8K @74 degrees F. 1964 type enamel coil wire. Vintage cloth wire & wax potting.

Middle: Alnico 5 & 2 vintage beveled .187 rod magnets, Modern magnet stagger. 6.5K @74 degrees F. 1964 type enamel coil wire. Vintage cloth wire & wax potting. RWRP for hum cancelling in the #2 & #4 selector positions.

Neck: Alnico 5 vintage beveled .187 rod magnets, Vintage magnet stagger. 6.1K @74 degrees F. 1964 type enamel coil wire. Vintage cloth wire & wax potting.

20230906_123538.jpg20230906_140709.jpg20230907_133116.jpg
A5 & A2 in the middle pup, eh? What's the configuration with that and what made you decide to mix the magnets?
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
RiverDog
Reactions:

Looking great by the way. Can't wait to put them in my new MIJ 70s strat and rock out!
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

Nice!
Mixing mags can get some awesome results.
A5/a2 mix was always the most popular mix.
I really like a3 on neck pickups due to the weak string pull compared to a5 and am interested to hear how it does in a mix with an a5 neck and the mixed middle.

You done any with a4 or a8?
A8 makes a great bridge but their composition is extremely brittle so it chips easily.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

RiverDog wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:54 pm
A5 & A2 in the middle pup, eh? What's the configuration with that and what made you decide to mix the magnets?
Not to give away too many of my secrets gained through rial an error, but basically it is arrangement that makes a pickup sound like it has a more vintage stagger string balance, but doesn't have the magnets getting in the way of the pick. Customer feedback on my pickups from aggressive players, told me to fix the pick scraping the top of the rod magnets when digging in.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Buddha Pickups wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:20 am Nice!
I really like a3 on neck pickups due to the weak string pull compared to a5 and am interested to hear how it does in a mix with an a5 neck and the mixed middle.

A8 makes a great bridge but their composition is extremely brittle so it chips easily.
I've not used an A8 or A4. I found that A4's are close enough to A5's in magnetism that I can get that feel from how much I charge up the magnets. I appreciate you mentioning them, as I did not know they existed in rod magnet form!
mozz
Reactions:

Don't always just go by numbers, A3 have more iron and will give you a higher inductance, hence moving the resonant freq downward.
AGF refugee
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:46 pm
Buddha Pickups wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:20 am Nice!

I've not used an A8 or A4. I found that A4's are close enough to A5's in magnetism that I can get that feel from how much I charge up the magnets. I appreciate you mentioning them, as I did not know they existed in rod magnet form!
AFX has the a4s in multiple heights.
I rarely use them but I feel it translates to a slightly tamer a5 without as much scoop.
A8 I believe only tonekraft carries them. It's like an a2 eq with a little more balls than an a5. It's not a good neck but is a great bridge especially in a nasally strat or tele.
golem
Reactions:

I'd be tempted to try these. I can't lie.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

Tested and ready for shipping to @RiverDog and @thepezident !

'For those about to rock, but still want to do the '64 Strat thing' is how I would describe these. A whole lotta 'whoa'!

I am going to try and get sound clips for these.

I need to make a set for myself!
AMI Leverage - post testing 9-12-23.jpg
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

I feel like I am not worthy to play these.
I feel like I will be driving a Ferrari to the grocery store..
bleys21
Reactions:

This whole thread makes me want to buy a Strat, so I can get the pickups :-)
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

bleys21 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:25 pm This whole thread makes me want to buy a Strat, so I can get the pickups :-)
2 bills for the new Fender Sonic series.
https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-ele ... 52574.html
RiverDog
Reactions:

thepezident wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:52 am
bleys21 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:25 pm This whole thread makes me want to buy a Strat, so I can get the pickups :-)
2 bills for the new Fender Sonic series.
https://www.fender.com/en-US/squier-ele ... 52574.html
Ooh hardtail, too. Damn why did you have to post this? I don't need it, I don't need it, I don't need it...
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"