Interesting bridge option to add a tailpiece to a stop tail

Pickup and Parts reviews, advice, discussions here
honyock
Reactions:

Guyker 6 String Guitar Bridge Zinc Alloy Electric Guitar Replacement - chrome https://a.co/d/86z3qxq

For ~$12, I am thinking this might be cool to put a tailpiece on my Cosart single P90 LP or to add a Maestro to my Harley Benton SG Jr to change up the look.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Looks interesting. Hard to say if I'd expect to try it out, because they don't give specs I'd care to know up front - all the dimensions, and since the saddles are not height adjustable, the radius becomes pretty important.
mickey
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:06 am Guyker 6 String Guitar Bridge Zinc Alloy Electric Guitar Replacement - chrome https://a.co/d/86z3qxq

For ~$12, I am thinking this might be cool to put a tailpiece on my Cosart single P90 LP or to add a Maestro to my Harley Benton SG Jr to change up the look.

For that price I'd expect it to be made from cheese!!!!! :shock:
Gandalf the Intonationer
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

These are pretty cool too. I have one on my Melody Maker and it is awesome. Made by Hipshot and called the Baby Grand.
Baby Grand.jpg
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
tobijohn
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:57 am These are pretty cool too. I have one on my Melody Maker and it is awesome. Made by Hipshot and called the Baby Grand.

Baby Grand.jpg
They are, but they cost about twice as much as the guitars he's thinking about upgrading...:)
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:21 am Looks interesting. Hard to say if I'd expect to try it out, because they don't give specs I'd care to know up front - all the dimensions, and since the saddles are not height adjustable, the radius becomes pretty important.
Based on the few Amazon reviews, it apparently doesn't fit or requires modification to work:

www.amazon.com/Guyker-String-Guitar-Ele ... merReviews
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote:
BatUtilityBelt wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:21 am Looks interesting. Hard to say if I'd expect to try it out, because they don't give specs I'd care to know up front - all the dimensions, and since the saddles are not height adjustable, the radius becomes pretty important.
Based on the few Amazon reviews, it apparently doesn't fit or requires modification to work:

www.amazon.com/Guyker-String-Guitar-Ele ... merReviews
It did pretty much exactly what I wanted, except there is the slightest amount of side to side play so I'll be installing locking posts (have multiple sets I never used in my parts collection)

Now I can do a trapeze tailpiece or use a B3 Bigsby I have.

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:16 pm
...Now I can do a trapeze tailpiece or use a B3 Bigsby I have.

I have the same guitar and really like the trapeze tailpiece idea. Let me know if you go in that direction, where you got the tailpiece, how you installed it and any issues you encountered. Thanks...
Lacking Talent
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:06 am Guyker 6 String Guitar Bridge Zinc Alloy Electric Guitar Replacement - chrome https://a.co/d/86z3qxq

That's a reproduction of the Ibanez Gibraltar III bridge. Suddenly seeing a lot of them around lately (from various sellers), must be a lot of folks unable to source an original!
honyock
Reactions:

20221105_200252.jpg
2022-11-05 21.12.46.jpg
Getting closer. Thinking about a mini-hum instead of the P90, had to remove the molex style connector to get it out, will probably rewire the volume pup to remove the other side of the connector and just have that in my parts bin with the P90.

The one thing that is very odd about this guitar was the decision to put the volume know so far from the tone, it is pushing against the trapeze with a regular speed knob, a witch hat sort of rides just under the trapeze, whereas the chrome dome knobs should give a small gap between. I was tempted to plug the hole or maybe put in a mini switch to do a series parallel setup with the mini hum. Then I could put the volume knob closer to the tone knob and not leave a gaping hole. Or maybe do a tuned split/tap kind of thing where you wire in a resistor/capacitor to ground on one side.
tobijohn
Reactions:

What if you cut about an inch off the length of the tailpiece assembly and then rethreaded the ends with a die? Or would the extended distance between the bridge and modified tailpiece look disproportionate?
tobijohn
Reactions:

Looking at pics of the 52/53 Les Pauls had a combo trapeze/bridge assembly so that's not really an option. As far as the aesthetics goes, the distances between the bridge, tailpiece and body bottom edge on the four guitars I have that came with trapeze tailpieces varies:
Attachments
52 Les paul trapeze bridge.jpg
IMG_20221106_224545225_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221106_223330004_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221106_223228057.jpg
P1030006.JPG
tobijohn
Reactions:

BTW, since you began this thread the price of that bridge went up almost 50%, it's now $17:

www.amazon.com/Guyker-String-Guitar-Ele ... r=8-1&th=1
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote:BTW, since you began this thread the price of that bridge went up almost 50%, it's now $17:

www.amazon.com/Guyker-String-Guitar-Ele ... r=8-1&th=1
I must have started a run on them...

I think I like the idea of moving the pot, I never liked it's position. I think it needs to be closer to the tone pot like the Jared James Nichols signature guitar.

Since I now have a 4 wire pickup in there, it will be very easy to add a mini switch. I probably just need to print a little spacer for a mini DPDT (assuming the shaft is long enough that is)

ImageImage