Seymore Duncan Seth Lover Pickups

Pickup and Parts reviews, advice, discussions here
OMB
Reactions:

I like humbuckers. My favorite are Filtertrons but I had a set of Gibson 57 Classics I liked a lot. I also had a custom wound set that supposedly emulated them and I did not like those. I have watched a ton of YT videos and to be honest added to some of my confusion. I was ready to buy a set of Gibson 57's which are relatively low output and wax potted but as I did more research I started thinking maybe I don't want wax potted and would prefer the airiness and perhaps slightly more crisp tones from a non-wax potted PAF humbucker like SD Seth Lovers.

I have tried many GFS and other inexpensive imported humbuckers and some were good and some not so I am looking on this one last semi hollow body to put a good set of pickups in but I do not want to get caught up in marketing hype. I recently put a set of TVJones Classic Filtertrons in my Gretsch and I have to tell you they are worth every penny and sound better than the Gretsch HS Filtertrons I used to have so there is a win for the named brand.

I was hoping someone who loves humbuckers and has used the Seth Lovers and or other brand named buckers can share your thoughts.
Central Floriduh Ain't it Grand!
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Sorry, I have not tried Seth Lovers, but I can't wait to see where this thread goes. I completely agree that 57 Classics and TV Jones have a characteristic 'extraness', thicker, more satisfying to my ears. I don't think it's specific to humbuckers because I get much of the same out of a few P90s, but I would love to see someone define or quantify it well.
Chocol8
Reactions:

I much prefer the tone and character of “vintage” output, untaxed PAF style humbuckers. The Seth’s are a really good version of that, but the SD Antiquity are another level beyond IMHO. They have extra clarity to them and to me are worth whatever the small price difference.

toomanycats
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:42 pm I much prefer the tone and character of “vintage” output, untaxed PAF style humbuckers. The Seth’s are a really good version of that, but the SD Antiquity are another level beyond IMHO. They have extra clarity to them and to me are worth whatever the small price difference.

The SD Antiquity's in that video sound glorious.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Chocol8
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:46 pm The SD Antiquity's in that video sound glorious.
The SD Antiquity humbuckers in my AL-3000 and AD-3200 sound glorious as well. They aren’t inexpensive, but they will make any guitar sound good. Some people like the extra mids of the Seth’s, but for me it’s all about the detail, note separation and clarity of the Antiquities. I can get extra mids from my amps or pedals if needed.

FWIW, the Antiquity II Surfer Stratocaster pickups are similarly glorious. The Texas Hot version don’t quite do it for me, but the 60’s surfers through a blackface Twin or Super or a tweed Bassman, Twin or Deluxe are like pure aural sex.
redman
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson LP, Agile PS900, SX Tele, SX Strat, PRS SE Zach Myers Yamaha FGX830c, Yamaha LL16, Yamaha LL26, Eastman E10D, Tobias Bass, Squire CV 60's P Bass

I've tried a ton of SD pups I have a set of Pearly Gates in a PRS SE Seth Myers semi-hollow and really like them another set I really like is the Hot Rodded JB/Jazz set. My 2 favorite SD PAF oferings
OMB
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:42 pm I much prefer the tone and character of “vintage” output, untaxed PAF style humbuckers. The Seth’s are a really good version of that, but the SD Antiquity are another level beyond IMHO. They have extra clarity to them and to me are worth whatever the small price difference.

I agree. The Antiquities do sound more crisp than the SL's but I can't stand reliced stuff. Just a personal picadillo...
toomanycats
Reactions:

OMB wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm

I agree. The Antiquities do sound more crisp than the SL's but I can't stand reliced stuff. Just a personal picadillo...
I checked after reading this thread, and you can order the chrome covered Antiquities either reliced or un-reliced. Not so the gold covers, which are only offered reliced. That sucks, because I'd really like to put a pair of pristine gold ones in my Gibson Lucille. The 490R/290T combo in that guitar just don't do it justice.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Chocol8
Reactions:

OMB wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm [
You are in luck since SD now offers all of the Antiquity pickups with standard un-aged covers, and that option costs about $20-30 less per set give or take depending on the pickups. If you don’t like the relic look or like me, you take the covers off, this is the way to go. If you buy direct from SD it’s an option in the pull down menu. From resellers they are usually listed as “retrospec’d” whatever that is supposed to mean.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... pickup-set
Chocol8
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:23 pm you can order the chrome covered Antiquities either reliced or un-reliced. Not so the gold covers, which are only offered reliced.
Even if it’s not in the pull down menu, they will usually do it. Just give them a call. Since they have un-aged gold covers as a stock part for other models, I would be shocked if they said no. The last time I ordered a custom set from them, it was super easy, and they shipped in a few days.
Sinster
Reactions:
Gearlist: Many Les Pauls, Couple of Tele's and Strats, a PRS, a EVH Woflgang, a Bass, and Epi Acoustic. Egnater Rebel 20, Tubemeister 18.

I have a Seth Lover in my BFG Les Paul. I'm very happy with it, but that's not to say you're going like it. I also like my DiMarzio 36th Anniversaries as well and like my own winds.

The reason I wind my own pickups is because of always chasing and reading peoples raving reviews of "X" pickups sounds so great, blah blah, blah ;). So I would purchase said pickup only to be disappointed. Instead of loosing money going from brand to brand I decided to wind my own. I've learned from winding my own pickups that there is only say many ways to place the wiring on the bobbin. So many magic material combinations out there, that in the end nobody except the person playing the guitar can really tell you what pickup is installed in any guitar. I also learned that one pickup might sound sweet in one guitar, but absolute ass in another.
golem
Reactions:

I've had Seths that came stock on a Kauer Titan. They're great pickups. The one thing someone ought to know about unpotted pickups is that they can be microphonic. So if you're going to use a lot of gain or fuzz, or playing at high volumes you might experience it. At lower volumes, them being microphonic makes them a tad more musical to my ears. Overall though, I'm leaning towards potted pickups these days so as to not have to ever worry about squeal.

Also, unless I'm getting a good deal used like the Duncan Jazz/Custom set I picked up Sat for $60, I tend to buy from @andrewsrea for anything traditional. They'd cost more than those Duncans I got lucky with this weekend, but not all that much more.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:42 pm They have extra clarity to them and to me are worth whatever the small price difference.

That last 10% in improved tone is worth a lot,, IMO
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:33 pm
Chocol8 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:42 pm They have extra clarity to them and to me are worth whatever the small price difference.

That last 10% in improved tone is worth a lot,, IMO
Having said that, I did just get a GFS Mean90 neck to sound much to my liking by raising the pole pieces , and lowering pup, a good bit. It seemed too thick and wooly before I effed with it. Its in a Callisto with a Buddha p90 humbucker size bridge. The Buddha is vey strong and bright, I actually set those bridge screws down a bit, especially on treble side. It sounds great.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
SamIV
Reactions:

I actually prefer the Seth Lovers in the above video. Brighter to me doesn’t mean better. They seem to be lacking bottom end. Or maybe that’s my perception. That would save me $100. To each his own I guess.
OMB
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:27 pm
OMB wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm [
You are in luck since SD now offers all of the Antiquity pickups with standard un-aged covers, and that option costs about $20-30 less per set give or take depending on the pickups. If you don’t like the relic look or like me, you take the covers off, this is the way to go. If you buy direct from SD it’s an option in the pull down menu. From resellers they are usually listed as “retrospec’d” whatever that is supposed to mean.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... pickup-set
OK Thx - I will check those out. They did seem to have the edge IMO.