Gibson 57 plus

Pickup and Parts reviews, advice, discussions here
Overcome8
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Strat, Epiphone Les Paul 1960 tribute Plus, EART guitar.

Hey guys I just bought a 2021 Gibson Les Paul Classic . I want to put a Gibson 57 plus pick up or a 59 Seymore Duncan pick up in the bridge. Does anyone know if one of those 2 pickups would plug right into the pots on my new guitar.
toomanycats
Reactions:

I'm guessing that by "plug right into the pots" you mean the quick connect thing. If so, that would depend upon whether a 2021 Gibson Les Paul Classic has a Quick Connect harness, and whether either the Gibson 57 Plus or Duncan 59 are available with that type of connectivity.

Unfortunately, I don't know that answer, but somebody here might.

We kinda live by the soldering iron around here. :D

Welcome to the forum by the way.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Overcome8
Reactions:
Gearlist: Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Strat, Epiphone Les Paul 1960 tribute Plus, EART guitar.

ok so I bought the quick connect wires from Ebay, does anyone know how to connect the Gibson 57 plus wires as in what wires go where?
mighty_duck
Reactions:

Do you have pictures of the wires you got and the pickups you have?
Ideally, it should just be about matching colors.
ID10t
Reactions:

Agree with mighty_duck, but I would also consider taking it to your local guitar tech or someone who has direct experience with guitar wiring. Also might want to say your general location and there may be people here who can point you towards people.
jtcnj
Reactions:

Have you given the stock pickups a fair trial period?
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
golem
Reactions:

So I hate the PCB Quick connects because I had a guitar that came stock with two 57 classics but the bridge was weaker than the neck. Why do I bring this up? Because when I put any other Gibson quick connect pickups in they were wired out of phase. That's right, to save money they set it up so the 57s were all neck pickups and swapping any other pickups made them out of phase. There's no switch in the PCB to fix the phase (that would be cool!) so basically if you don't like that sound you're SOL. That means I can't guarantee you that other Gibson pickups wouldn't be OOP. But, that said, yes other Gibson pickups with the quick connect would work. :twisted:

But yeah, this was a pricey Gibson (sold used for $1600 + shipping & taxes) so cost saving of that type wasn't acceptable to me.
mickey
Reactions:

golem wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:14 am So I hate the PCB Quick connects because I had a guitar that came stock with two 57 classics but the bridge was weaker than the neck. Why do I bring this up? Because when I put any other Gibson quick connect pickups in they were wired out of phase. That's right, to save money they set it up so the 57s were all neck pickups and swapping any other pickups made them out of phase. There's no switch in the PCB to fix the phase (that would be cool!) so basically if you don't like that sound you're SOL. That means I can't guarantee you that other Gibson pickups wouldn't be OOP. But, that said, yes other Gibson pickups with the quick connect would work. :twisted:

But yeah, this was a pricey Gibson (sold used for $1600 + shipping & taxes) so cost saving of that type wasn't acceptable to me.
Quick Connects are not inherently bad, perhaps just Gibsons?
EMG uses them when you buy one of their replacements "kits" for a Strat (the kit replaces everything under the pickguard) it is a great time saver
w/o the Gibson problems. :D
Gandalf the Intonationer
honyock
Reactions:

If they are a Molex type connector, you can remove the wire with some sort of pin typically the metal part comes out of the plastic part.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
golem
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 am
Quick Connects are not inherently bad, perhaps just Gibsons?
EMG uses them when you buy one of their replacements "kits" for a Strat (the kit replaces everything under the pickguard) it is a great time saver
w/o the Gibson problems. :D
The Gibson quick connect worked, I just mean they were being cheap in a way that made it hard to use them with other Gibson Quick Connect items. I like the concept to some extent.