John Birch UK Pickup SNAFU - Advise Please

Pickup and Parts reviews, advice, discussions here
Lamf77
Reactions:

bc rich wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:24 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:13 am
tobijohn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:13 pm 22 pole screws, what's with that?
Not entirely uncommon, Carvin pickups have always had that amount of pole screws too. Some info here:

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/ ... hpmmj2.jpg
The Carvin pickups have their pole pieces evenly spaced and in a straight line as it should be . The pickups in question looks like an amateurish attempt to turn a 12 pole into a 22 pole pu.
Seeing the pair Mozz posted opened my eyes for sure. Supposedly the same pickups, not. I sent the above link to the seller, he totally dodged the question in his response. Said the ones pictures were not the same, they are not 5 & 6 as he states.

"These are Magnum 4 and Hyperflux 5 the link is Magnum 5 + Hyperflux 6 different type of pole screws.

The residue caused by getting too warm and expanding, it is only silicon so would clean up.

As to the other damage this is what the claim is for, bad handling by customs probably. "
howardlo65
Reactions:
Gearlist: Too many to list!

John Birch? The only time I have heard that name was back in the 50’s and early 60’s. It was an organization named The John Birch Society (far right wing and anti-communist) and in a song named ‘The John Birch Society’ done by The Chad Mitchell Trio back in 1962.
Another Agile Guitar Forum refugee

If only my playing level reflected my 60+ years of playing!
tobijohn
Reactions:

Lamf77 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:23 pm
Seeing the pair Mozz posted opened my eyes for sure. Supposedly the same pickups, not. I sent the above link to the seller, he totally dodged the question in his response. Said the ones pictures were not the same, they are not 5 & 6 as he states.

"These are Magnum 4 and Hyperflux 5 the link is Magnum 5 + Hyperflux 6 different type of pole screws.

The residue caused by getting too warm and expanding, it is only silicon so would clean up.

As to the other damage this is what the claim is for, bad handling by customs probably. "
This whole deal is sounding more and more fishy. If we really want to have some fun with conspiracy theories, maybe he sent you a set of RMA pickups that might not even work, blame the damage on shipping and then have carrier's insurance reimburse him the full price.

I had forgotten all about it but I went through something similar with another winder who had a reputation for great pickups and lousy customer service. I bought a couple sets from him off of eBay after he was trying to make a comeback after running his reputation into the ground but what I got instead was a package with a child's athletic shoe in it. He first tried to blame it on USPS and then his mother got involved (yes, his dear old Mom) who told me what a fine and upstanding lad her son was and accused me of trying to defraud them. I suspect he did the math and figured why even wind them for what they sold for. It might take a while for the claim to be processed but $130 for a kid's old sneaker is a pretty good deal. Anyway, I got my money refunded by PayPal and he got the kid's shoe back...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
Partscaster
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:02 pm

This whole deal is sounding more and more fishy. If we really want to have some fun with conspiracy theories,
John Birch pickups are reflecting vague image of grassy knoll, and some one in a uniform with a rifle?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
tobijohn
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:20 pm

John Birch pickups are reflecting vague image of grassy knoll, and some one in a uniform with a rifle?
He might also know something about the Jimmy Hoffa thing too...
tobijohn
Reactions:

howardlo65 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:37 pm John Birch? The only time I have heard that name was back in the 50’s and early 60’s. It was an organization named The John Birch Society (far right wing and anti-communist) and in a song named ‘The John Birch Society’ done by The Chad Mitchell Trio back in 1962.
I vaguely remember when I was a kid that my father had a passing interest in that organization, there was this little blue book...
Lamf77
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 pm
Partscaster wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:20 pm

He might also know something about the Jimmy Hoffa thing too...
The package went from UK to Miami Customs. Cleared customs and made it 5 minutes from my house which is just west of Chicago in a day. The day it was in my local post office, I was told by the postal staff, it was flagged to be returned to customs here in Chicago...wtf? It sat there for over 2 weeks and the tracking said it was being send back to sender.
Is it possible the seller did something to get the package flagged? To many red flags, him denying the link was to the same pickups pretty much may seal it. No trips to the post office, I call April or Maurice tomorrow...we are on a first name basis.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

This whole deal is sounding more and more fishy. If we really want to have some fun with conspiracy theories, maybe he sent you a set of RMA pickups that might not even work, blame the damage on shipping and then have carrier's insurance reimburse him the full price.

I had forgotten all about it but I went through something similar with another winder who had a reputation for great pickups and lousy customer service. I bought a couple sets from him off of eBay after he was trying to make a comeback after running his reputation into the ground but what I got instead was a package with a child's athletic shoe in it. He first tried to blame it on USPS and then his mother got involved (yes, his dear old Mom) who told me what a fine and upstanding lad her son was and accused me of trying to defraud them. I suspect he did the math and figured why even wind them for what they sold for. It might take a while for the claim to be processed but $130 for a kid's old sneaker is a pretty good deal. Anyway, I got my money refunded by PayPal and he got the kid's shoe back...
You guys gotta stop getting your pickups from shady people when there are plenty of good options out there, even a few on this forum...
8-)
tobijohn
Reactions:

Buddha Pickups wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:20 pm
You guys gotta stop getting your pickups from shady people when there are plenty of good options out there, even a few on this forum...
8-)
I always default to the locals here, but these went for a ridiculously low price. You know who the guy is, way back when, I bought a couple used sets of his from you when you were gutting everything ...
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:31 pm
8-)
I always default to the locals here, but these went for a ridiculously low price. You know who the guy is, way back when, I bought a couple used sets of his from you when you were gutting everything ...
Yes, I knew who it was, it would've been a Sin to not know.
I was just kidding with you.
ID10t
Reactions:

8-)
Well @Buddha Pickups , I'm just gonna say that I guess there was some question about (business) selling here but I think that was clarified as okay, or that's what I got. And you had posted previously that you couldn't afford to sell because state taxes, and I looked many times after searching for your Reverb page and the last I looked it showed you as on hiatus.
I'm not giving you a hard time, I'm just saying I am not sure if you are still winding and selling?
I have ambitions for some Narshbuckers, someday, maybe.
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

ID10t wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:50 pm

8-)
Well @Buddha Pickups , I'm just gonna say that I guess there was some question about (business) selling here but I think that was clarified as okay, or that's what I got. And you had posted previously that you couldn't afford to sell because state taxes, and I looked many times after searching for your Reverb page and the last I looked it showed you as on hiatus.
I'm not giving you a hard time, I'm just saying I am not sure if you are still winding and selling?
I have ambitions for some Narshbuckers, someday, maybe.
It's true that I'm currently on a hiatus but this conversation would be more appropriate for pm, if you have any questions
slowhand84
Reactions:

bc rich wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:24 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:13 am
tobijohn wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:13 pm 22 pole screws, what's with that?
Not entirely uncommon, Carvin pickups have always had that amount of pole screws too. Some info here:

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/ ... hpmmj2.jpg
The Carvin pickups have their pole pieces evenly spaced and in a straight line as it should be . The pickups in question looks like an amateurish attempt to turn a 12 pole into a 22 pole pu.
Oh absolutely haha, I was just answering the question asked which was "what's up with the pickup having 22 pole screws".