Gibson neck relief, action, and pup height

Pickup and Parts reviews, advice, discussions here
Partscaster
Reactions:

Saw this post on Gear Page while i was looking for neck relief factory spec info.. Includes general guidelines from a Gibson tech.
Does involve general pup height set up, as well as neck relief and action specs, so I figure it makes some sense to be here in pup forum.
I am a little surprised that his neck relief suggestion doesn't use feeler gauge measurement, instead uses "a piece of paper". I had read Gibson neck relief setup is often around .010-.012. Some say a bit lower is better depending on guitar feel, amount of bends, etc.

Anyhow, here is the post.
------------------------------

" Hi I'm David the final inspector at Gibson Memphis. I can give you the factory spec info. on our setups. You will need a mechanics rule to do this properly.

To check neck relief: fret the low E at the first and 15th fret (not 12th) reach to the 7th fret and tap string. There should be a small space between string and fret - no thicker than a piece of paper. Do the same with the high E.

ACTION: fret low E at first fret and measure the distance from the bottom of the to the top of the 15th fret. It should be 5/64". Do the same with the high E, measurement should be 3/64". Now measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". If string height at nut is correct, recheck string height at 12th fret with strings open. Measurement for low and high E's should be the same as measurement taken at the 15th.

Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64", neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Play test: Play every string at every fret checking for buzzes. Bend High E string 1 and 1/2 steps, beginning at the sixth fret and ending at 22nd, checking for "choking" and to make sure string stays in nut notch.

Many manufacturers will recommend how to ideally set up their pickups. They typically start from the factory setting, or provide turn-numbers assuming the screw head is flush with the pick/up. Here's one set of instructions using the turn method:

Set all poles when looking at the screw head from the side that only the rounded part rises above the flat part of the pup.
Low E: no change
A: raise 1 full turn
D: raise 1 ½ full turns
G: raise ½ turn
B: lower 1 full turn
High E raise ½ turn"
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
mozz
Reactions:

I've read that before somewhere. I bought one of those fretboard stainless rulers with the fret notches. I set mine for totally flat. Nut height i set the notches so fretted at the third, the space under the first is a piece of paper. String action at 12th fret i use coins, pickup height to strings unfretted, i use coins and adjust according to too bassy or treblely.
AGF refugee
Partscaster
Reactions:

I started doing my nut slot heights based on tuner accuracy over first 3 frets. On many new guitars it seems I often find sharp notes on first frets as slots are too high.

Oddly, this latest SX Callisto has nut slots spot on ... all string notes progress in tune.

I have been adjusting pup heights entirely by ear. Different sets seeming so different, and all.

I did read, and it seems true, that the volume pot is where I can best tame a shrill pup. Lowering the volume pot value shifts the pickups resonance peak darker. Its different than turning tone knob down. I am no tech guy, but I think I understood it in that way.
So if I want to use 500k pots, I will measure them all and place the lowest reading in my bridge volume position. If its still a shrill pup, I'll try 300K. Once I even chased the bridge volume pot down to 100K. It was the guitars fault, I think, as same pickup sounded warmer in another guitar.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
ILuvTeles
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:57 am
Pickups: Fret low E at 22nd fret and measure pickup height from underside of string to point on pickup closest to string. Bridge pickup should be 3/64", neck pickup should be 4/32". Fret high E at 22nd fret, distance for both pickups should be 3/32".

Interesting info. The pickups height is either a typo or quite interesting. Bridge 3/64" & neck 8/64"?
Partscaster
Reactions:

ILuvTeles wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:32 pm
Partscaster wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:57 am

Interesting info. The pickups height is either a typo or quite interesting. Bridge 3/64" & neck 8/64"?
I think most of my humbucker guitars have more space between string and pup in the neck. My bridges tend to be closer to the strings, than my necks. And I mostly do it by ear.