Tons of Lefty Agile/SX at MGR!

slowhand84
Reactions:

Bit of a rare opportunity for our AGF lefties here...whole bunch of Agile and SX lefties for sale at MGR in Georgia. Ignore the quoted shipping cost and just call the store if you're interested in any of these, they'll provide you with an actual shipping cost. Includes a few original horn models too.

Many of these are not crazy deals or anything but given how few lefties tend to pop up I figured it was worth posting here in case any of our resident lefties are after something (@tobijohn ; @mickey ; etc).

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... ars-yellow

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... ars-orange

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... ars-yellow

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... y-sunburst

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... ars-orange

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... y-sunburst

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... uitars-red

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... itars-blue

https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40 ... tars-white
tobijohn
Reactions:

Thanks for the heads-up, a solid body Agile Tele is on my bucket list. I'm going to call the store tomorrow and see if they can give me a better shipping rate. They're just outside of Atlanta, and shipping from there to South FL shouldn't cost $106.

I did not see any of those when I checked the MGR website a couple days ago. Also, did you notice that they're all from the same store? I can only assume someone passed away and the family just wanted to get rid of them. However, you'd think whoever it was had some other guitars besides a half dozen Agiles and an SX Strat but besides those, that store only has a few other lefty guitars. Very strange...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Nice, thanks. It's not a crazy good deal, but I might go for the gold top P90 AL-3000 if they did a GC-like shipping rate. The site actually estimated $123.69 shipping and I think that's about $100 too much. I just told them as much, and we'll see.

John, I share your guess that they are estate guitars. I sometimes wonder if I should leave instructions for the best liquidation of my gear, but fail to make any progress on that.
toomanycats
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:51 am Thanks for the heads-up, a solid body Agile Tele is on my bucket list. I'm going to call the store tomorrow and see if they can give me a better shipping rate. They're just outside of Atlanta, and shipping from there to South FL shouldn't cost $106.

I did not see any of those when I checked the MGR website a couple days ago. Also, did you notice that they're all from the same store? I can only assume someone passed away and the family just wanted to get rid of them. However, you'd think whoever it was had some other guitars besides a half dozen Agiles and an SX Strat but besides those, that store only has a few other lefty guitars. Very strange...
What I find strange is that there could have been, hypothetically, a leftie Agile fanatic whose existence we were not aware of on this forum. You’ve gotta admit, the Agile thing is sort of a small club, and the lefties are an even smaller subset of that group. It’s like that group of guitars came from an Agile leftie sleeper cell. :lol:
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:18 am What I find strange is that there could have been, hypothetically, a leftie Agile fanatic whose existence we were not aware of on this forum. You’ve gotta admit, the Agile thing is sort of a small club, and the lefties are an even smaller subset of that group. It’s like that group of guitars came from an Agile leftie sleeper cell. :lol:
Sleeper cell indeed. 8-) It makes sense. When a brand leans into supporting lefties and makes good gear, they attract a cultish following. One of us, one of us.
mozz
Reactions:

Gold top turns greeny. I'm afraid to take mine out of the case because if it looks as bad as that I'll be firing up the belt sander.
AGF refugee
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:25 am Gold top turns greeny. I'm afraid to take mine out of the case because if it looks as bad as that I'll be firing up the belt sander.
I think (and hope) it's just a case of a cell phone camera not being able to capture true colors, especially under fluorescent light.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:49 am
mozz wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:25 am Gold top turns greeny. I'm afraid to take mine out of the case because if it looks as bad as that I'll be firing up the belt sander.
I think (and hope) it's just a case of a cell phone camera not being able to capture true colors, especially under fluorescent light.
It's most likely the light and camera. My experience has been that while the 2000 series do have a slight green undertone, it's nothing as severe as that. The 3000s do not and IIRC, they came from different factories as the pickup spacing is slightly different too...
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:51 am Thanks for the heads-up, a solid body Agile Tele is on my bucket list. I'm going to call the store tomorrow and see if they can give me a better shipping rate. They're just outside of Atlanta, and shipping from there to South FL shouldn't cost $106.

Yeah who knows, maybe someone passed away or maybe someone just wasn't playing anymore and it's much easier to drop off a bunch of guitars at a store than it is to sell them individually. It's certainly possible they had other guitars too but those might be more valuable and trading those in at a store for peanuts would be a bad idea, so maybe they sold them elsewhere.
BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:12 am Nice, thanks. It's not a crazy good deal, but I might go for the gold top P90 AL-3000 if they did a GC-like shipping rate. The site actually estimated $123.69 shipping and I think that's about $100 too much. I just told them as much, and we'll see.

John, I share your guess that they are estate guitars. I sometimes wonder if I should leave instructions for the best liquidation of my gear, but fail to make any progress on that.
They're not going to do a GC shipping rate, GC has contracts with UPS because of the volume and MGR does nowhere near that volume so they pay pretty much what you or I would pay to ship a guitar. I'd guess it would be closer to $50 but depends on the store and what service they use.
Agile's goldtops were never really true goldtops anyway, they always had a bit of a different look. Guessing the lighting does affect things here too though.
tobijohn
Reactions:

There are plenty of posts about Gibson gold tops turning green, some seem to like it, some don't. Gibson apparently purposely did it on some of their reissues. I read that it's from the bronze in the paint oxidizing...
tobijohn
Reactions:

OK, I called the store, and they will adjust the shipping charge to $65 which is about right for that distance. The manager didn't know how to override the system so the person responsible for internet sales will call me back.

Also, nobody died, the previous owner traded them in and bought a couple Gibsons. There must have been some cash involved as what they gave him based on how they're priced, maybe just maybe might cover one low end Gibson...
mozz
Reactions:

Whew, last time i checked this appeared to be going green. Now, not so much, only slightly tinted. Last picture is with sunlight coming through the window. Still looking for a P90 black pickguard.
g1.jpg
g2.jpg
g3.jpg
AGF refugee
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:50 am They're not going to do a GC shipping rate, GC has contracts with UPS because of the volume and MGR does nowhere near that volume so they pay pretty much what you or I would pay to ship a guitar. I'd guess it would be closer to $50 but depends on the store and what service they use.
I agree they wouldn't be able to ship for $22 or so. But... They estimated shipping as $123.69 to smack-dab-in-the-middle of the US (68144). I'm pretty sure there's a lot of BS in that estimate, and some additional room in their margin on a $299.99 listing.
mickey
Reactions:

I just bought the Valk, they say they will ship tomorrow. :)

Shipping $65 via USPS
Gandalf the Intonationer
mickey
Reactions:

Just got an email confirming the order.
Gandalf the Intonationer
tobijohn
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:50 am ...Still looking for a P90 black pickguard.

g1.jpgg2.jpgg3.jpg
I just measured and If it's an Agile AL-3xxx, a Gibson LP pickguard will fit. It's 2 15/16" between the pickups, and 3 1/16" on the Agile AL2000. If it's a 2000 and you've got some OCD in you like I do where everything has to match, it would be a lot easier to find some creme P90 covers than replacing the poker chip and back control cover, not so much the former but definitely the latter ...
tobijohn
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:09 pm I just bought the Valk, they say they will ship tomorrow. :)

Shipping $65 via USPS
I was able to buy the Agile Tele but haven't been charged yet. $65 shipped too...
mickey
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:26 pm

I was able to buy the Agile Tele but haven't been charged yet. $65 shipped too...
Hope you like it! I once had one for a short time but the SX STL was so much better I dumped it in a hurry.
Gandalf the Intonationer
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:12 am ...John, I share your guess that they are estate guitars. I sometimes wonder if I should leave instructions for the best liquidation of my gear, but fail to make any progress on that.
I've made arrangements with a local music shop specializing in guitars and with a big online presence to take care of things for my siblings...
mickey
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:26 pm
mickey wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:09 pm I just bought the Valk, they say they will ship tomorrow. :)

Shipping $65 via USPS
Just checked BOA's website & they've hit my card already.
Gandalf the Intonationer
tobijohn
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:33 pm
Just checked BOA's website & they've hit my card already.
Mine just did too, got the order confirmation as well...
slowhand84
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:54 am
slowhand84 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:50 am They're not going to do a GC shipping rate, GC has contracts with UPS because of the volume and MGR does nowhere near that volume so they pay pretty much what you or I would pay to ship a guitar. I'd guess it would be closer to $50 but depends on the store and what service they use.
I agree they wouldn't be able to ship for $22 or so. But... They estimated shipping as $123.69 to smack-dab-in-the-middle of the US (68144). I'm pretty sure there's a lot of BS in that estimate, and some additional room in their margin on a $299.99 listing.
Yep, which is why in my initial post I explicitly said "Ignore the quoted shipping cost and just call the store if you're interested in any of these, they'll provide you with an actual shipping cost", which I thought would be $50-ish. Looks like I wasn't too far off since they quoted @mickey and @tobijohn $65 for their orders.
mickey
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:42 pm

Yep, which is why in my initial post I explicitly said "Ignore the quoted shipping cost and just call the store if you're interested in any of these, they'll provide you with an actual shipping cost", which I thought would be $50-ish. Looks like I wasn't too far off since they quoted @mickey and @tobijohn $65 for their orders.
TJ & I are both in Floriduh (even tho we are 3 or 4 hundred miles apart.)
:D
Gandalf the Intonationer
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:42 pm Yep, which is why in my initial post I explicitly said "Ignore the quoted shipping cost and just call the store if you're interested in any of these, they'll provide you with an actual shipping cost", which I thought would be $50-ish. Looks like I wasn't too far off since they quoted @mickey and @tobijohn $65 for their orders.
Yeah. With about $24 tax and even if they went down to $65 shipping, it's more than I'd be willing to pay for the gold top considering it's MGR. You get what you get there. If you return gear for good reason, you still eat the shipping and they may hit you for a restocking fee. Compared to GC Used, it's a lot more risk with no upside. So while I have bought gear from them, it was better priced to handle the risks. That's why I shot them the $22 shipping option, to make it more worth the risk.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:56 pm
Yeah. With about $24 tax and even if they went down to $65 shipping, it's more than I'd be willing to pay for the gold top considering it's MGR....
Speaking of tax and FWIW, I just noticed that that they didn't charge me any....