1st Gen Agile AL at GC - $349

slowhand84
Reactions:

I know some folks here are always on the lookout for these, an original Agile AL with the old horn (aka before they circumcised it to look less like an Epiphone/Gibson). Clearly an upgraded bridge pickup too, not a terrible price for one of these given how little you see 'em around:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Agile ... 9424047.gc
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-11 7.14.51 PM.png
toomanycats
Reactions:

It looks like this old school Agile is still available.

Anyone else notice the pointers on the tuners? Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the truss rod cover looks tulip shaped, which I don't believe is stock. Along with the non-stock bridge pickup, one can reasonably speculate that somebody was trying to make this Agile more like a real Gibson. There's only one way to find out how far they went in terms of hardware and electronics upgrades, and that is if somebody here bites the bullet and buys the thing.

Don't look at me. I'm already treading on thin ice at La Casa del gato, having bought three Kramers and a Heritage in the last month.
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
tobijohn
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:41 am
Anyone else notice the pointers on the tuners? Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the truss rod cover looks tulip shaped, which I don't believe is stock. Along with the non-stock bridge pickup, one can reasonably speculate that somebody was trying to make this Agile more like a real Gibson...
Also, I wonder how they know it's a 2500 as the only model identification is on the TRC. They would have had to call Kurt with the serial number which I doubt they would have done if they couldn't find two minutes to properly attach the pickguard support bracket to the bottom of the pickguard instead of the top...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:49 am
toomanycats wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:41 am
Anyone else notice the pointers on the tuners? Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the truss rod cover looks tulip shaped, which I don't believe is stock. Along with the non-stock bridge pickup, one can reasonably speculate that somebody was trying to make this Agile more like a real Gibson...
Also, I wonder how they know it's a 2500 as the only model identification is on the TRC. They would have had to call Kurt with the serial number which I doubt they would have done if they couldn't find two minutes to properly attach the pickguard support bracket to the bottom of the pickguard instead of the top...
This is Guitar Center, they definitely did not call anyone to get any information on anything lol. They probably just found a similar one online, or the person who sold it to them told them that's what it was. It's intriguing at this price tag but I already have my dream LP and getting another one would just be superfluous at this point. I'm sure someone will grab it sooner or later, it had just popped up when I made this thread.
tobijohn
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:07 am
...I already have my dream LP and getting another one would just be superfluous at this point...
Superfluous is underrated...
tobijohn
Reactions:

I don't know if GC paying out half the amount that they list the guitars for is an urban legend or not, but if it isn't then it gives some sort of crude baseline to estimate what it might fetch individual to individual. Maybe figure GC trade-in value plus 50% or GC listed price minus 25%? The only problem is that they're consistently inconsistent in their Agile pricing...
glasshand
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:31 am I don't know if GC paying out half the amount that they list the guitars for is an urban legend or not, but if it isn't then it gives some sort of crude baseline to estimate what it might fetch individual to individual. Maybe figure GC trade-in value plus 50% or GC listed price minus 25%? The only problem is that they're consistently inconsistent in their Agile pricing...
What I've been told at GC is that they look up the price that something has been selling for, then offer you about 60% of that. Obviously all of that can depend a lot on how good the particular GC employee is at finding recent prices on an item. I also figure that if you take your item to GC, you're a pretty motivated seller, which is why people will accept that 60%; people selling an item on their own probably won't be quite so ready to take a lowball offer.
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:31 am I don't know if GC paying out half the amount that they list the guitars for is an urban legend or not, but if it isn't then it gives some sort of crude baseline to estimate what it might fetch individual to individual. Maybe figure GC trade-in value plus 50% or GC listed price minus 25%? The only problem is that they're consistently inconsistent in their Agile pricing...
It's generally true, typically it's 50ish percent of the lowest price they can find a comparable one having sold for. It can be a bit more or a bit less for a more or less desirable item.

I would not use it as a baseline for individual sales because those are two separate things, the best baseline for actual market value is recent sold listings...and not the very highest one, but an average. If a bunch of AL3Ks sold for $350 recently and one sold for $550, it doesn't mean the market value is $550. At least that's what I've always thought to be the most accurate way to go.
tobijohn
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:10 pm
...I would not use it as a baseline for individual sales because those are two separate things, the best baseline for actual market value is recent sold listings...and not the very highest one, but an average. If a bunch of AL3Ks sold for $350 recently and one sold for $550, it doesn't mean the market value is $550. At least that's what I've always thought to be the most accurate way to go...
Assuming there's a large enough sample set, that would be more accurate. However, I just did a completed items search on eBay and only four Agiles came up (. While there were quite a few completed items on a Reverb search, and while a price is displayed, because of the offer option, there's no way of knowing what the actual sale price really was. I guess though there's enough info for a starting price and then just let the market tell you what it's worth by seeing what the offers are, ignoring the obvious low balls...

Looking through the Reverb results was kind of like taking a trip back down memory lane. There were a few pretty interesting models from the good old days. How about a Harm 3 routed for Strat sized single coils? I never saw one of those before. Kurt really rolled the dice back then...

https://reverb.com/item/65069758-agile- ... _sold=true
mickey
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:48 pm
Looking through the Reverb results was kind of like taking a trip back down memory lane. There were a few pretty interesting models from the good old days. How about a Harm 3 routed for Strat sized single coils? I never saw one of those before. Kurt really rolled the dice back then...

That one is a full solid body as opposed to the usual semi-hollow.
Gandalf the Intonationer
tobijohn
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:51 pm
That one is a full solid body as opposed to the usual semi-hollow.
I wonder if "Actual Weight is only 10 lbs" applies to that one like every other Agile model Kurt sold?
slowhand84
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:48 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:10 pm
...I would not use it as a baseline for individual sales because those are two separate things, the best baseline for actual market value is recent sold listings...and not the very highest one, but an average. If a bunch of AL3Ks sold for $350 recently and one sold for $550, it doesn't mean the market value is $550. At least that's what I've always thought to be the most accurate way to go...
Assuming there's a large enough sample set, that would be more accurate. However, I just did a completed items search on eBay and only four Agiles came up (. While there were quite a few completed items on a Reverb search, and while a price is displayed, because of the offer option, there's no way of knowing what the actual sale price really was. I guess though there's enough info for a starting price and then just let the market tell you what it's worth by seeing what the offers are, ignoring the obvious low balls...

Yeah eBay only stores sold listings going back a certain time frame, Reverb has way more...and yep, when offers are accepted you can't see what it sold for. The ones with no offers mentioned that sold were likely sold for exactly that price (though of course you never know who took the sale offline, etc...not supposed to happen but often does). I do also enjoy looking up Reverb sold listings, in particular for Kiesel cuz it's a cool way to see the various different builds people have cooked up over the years.