Video and Audio Synch in Reaper

Milkman
Reactions:

Today, I recorded a video of myself with my iPhone. I also recorded the audio into Reaper - Microphone into one input and acoustic guitar into the another.

I then dumped the video to my computer and dragged it into a new track in Reaper. The waveform of the video's audio track appears in the track, and by selecting View-->Video I could see the video. Remember, Reaper doesn't really care what type of media you put in a track, audio or video, just drag it in there!

Then it's just a matter of dragging the audio tracks to match up with the beginning of the wave form of the video's audio track to get them synchronized. Then, just mute the video's audio track (from the phone) because it sounds like hell.

The real advantage here is that I've always found the audio and video playback are slightly off... one is always slightly faster or slower than the other. Easy to fix in Reaper. Select all the good audio tracks (not the crappy one recorded by the phone), hover the mouse over the very end of one of the waveforms until you see the cursor become the little bracket with a double headed arrow, hold the option key down (on a Mac anyway) until the cursor changes into a little fist and drag the end of the waveform until they match the video's audio wave form... et voila! Your audio and video are synchronized!

It seems a little convoluted all typed out like this, but it really was the easiest method I've come across so far!
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Love it! I've been doing this the opposite way with good results, but with two editing programs and more steps. I will try your method tomorrow.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Milkman
Reactions:

I should mention that when I clicked the actual Mute button on the video track, the video was no longer displayed or rendered. Instead, turn the fader for the video track all the way down to nothing.
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013