Were guitars branded as BRICE really AGILES?

toomanycats
Reactions:

I ask after coming across this old Rondo webpage showing a Brice branded bass. Rondo's description of it even lists it as an Agile.

https://www.rondomusic.com/al3100csbfbass.html

al3100mcsbfbass1.jpg
al3100mcsbfbass3.jpg
al3100mcsbfbass4.jpg
al3100mcsbfbass5.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mickey
Reactions:

My understanding is that there were no Agile Basses instead those were named Brice.
Dunno why?
Guess you should ask Kurt???
Gandalf the Intonationer
toomanycats
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:34 am My understanding is that there were no Agile Basses instead those were named Brice.
Dunno why?
Guess you should ask Kurt???
Was there ever a Brice six string guitar that you know of?
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mickey
Reactions:

Not being interested in bass guitars, I'm not a good person to ask.
But as far as I know, all Brice guitars were basses.
So, if there was a 6 string Brice, it would have been a 6 string bass.
Gandalf the Intonationer
dabbler
Reactions:

What I suspsect is that the Brices and Agiles were made by the same supplier (they are both Rondo brands sourced from Korea), and somebody was asleep with some of the text... and maybe a decal or two. :lol:
Mossman
Reactions:

I always assumed that Kurt just wanted the basses and guitars to have separate identities. Apart from that LP bass, Brice basses didn't share much in common with Agile guitars. Stylistically (for the most part), they were their own thing, and not really a "copy" of anything.

Oh, and here's a Brice 6-string for ya :D :

Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
dabbler
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:09 pm I always assumed that Kurt just wanted the basses and guitars to have separate identities. Apart from that LP bass, Brice basses didn't share much in common with Agile guitars. Stylistically (for the most part), they were their own thing, and not really a "copy" of anything.

Oh, and here's a Brice 6-string for ya :D :

And here's a its five string fan fret brother:
IMGP3401a.jpg
Mossman
Reactions:

dabbler wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:21 pm
And here's a its five string fan fret brother:

IMGP3401a.jpg
I always know I can count on you to have multiple examples of everything Rondo ever sold. :D

I think you may even have @tobijohn beat in that regard, since he doesn't play bass.

BANNED BY MOMO
Partscaster
Reactions:

I see that Brice made a Beatles bass, sold at Rondo. Similar to the Douglas wveb beatles bass sold by Rondo , but not identical. So, maybe different factories between the two? Who knows.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Friedl
Reactions:

The only Brices I remember seeing were basses, but I do remember an Agile bass or two.
2nd-year bassist for about 30 years
Friedl
Reactions:

2nd-year bassist for about 30 years
rrobbone
Reactions:

No idea towards an answer.

But if I ran across a Brice bass in the wild, I'd give it a closer look than other inexpensive-ish brands - knowing it's (possible) heritage.
"What is this place? Where am I?"
thepezident
Reactions:
Gearlist: I got stuff

taken from https://www.rondomusic.com/team.htm

Our primary on line focus is SX Guitars, Agile Guitars, Douglas Guitars, Hadean Guitars, Omega Guitars, Brice Basses, and CNB Cases.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I have never owned or even seen a Brice before, but based purely on the models offered by Rondo I assumed Brice was to bass as Douglas was to guitars. AKA - in between SX and Agile. Speaking of Douglas there was a Ceti on GC used a while back, which was the lower cost version of a Harm.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
mickey
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:01 pm I have never owned or even seen a Brice before, but based purely on the models offered by Rondo I assumed Brice was to bass as Douglas was to guitars. AKA - in between SX and Agile. Speaking of Douglas there was a Ceti on GC used a while back, which was the lower cost version of a Harm.
I've never owned a Ceti and I'm rather sorry.
I have always preferred Douglas to Agile necks and tend to think I'd like a Ceti better than a Harm because of it.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Mossman
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:01 pm I have never owned or even seen a Brice before, but based purely on the models offered by Rondo I assumed Brice was to bass as Douglas was to guitars. AKA - in between SX and Agile. Speaking of Douglas there was a Ceti on GC used a while back, which was the lower cost version of a Harm.
I think Brice basses (apart from the AL and Beatle bass models) were a step above Douglas, or even Agile. Most of those basses were active, with neck-through construction, and more exotic veneers/higher grades of wood. I've never played one, or seen one in real life, but I always felt like they were going for a more "boutique" vibe with that brand.

BANNED BY MOMO
dabbler
Reactions:

Mossman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:05 pm
I think Brice basses (apart from the AL and Beatle bass models) were a step above Douglas, or even Agile. Most of those basses were active, with neck-through construction, and more exotic veneers/higher grades of wood. I've never played one, or seen one in real life, but I always felt like they were going for a more "boutique" vibe with that brand.
I have Agile guitars AND Brice basses. I feel rondo was trying to put them in the same quality class and, for me, they are.
dzello
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile AL-2000
Douglas SI-13
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Ibanez GSR200
Brice HXB 6
Yamaha F325D
Jay Turser JT200

I have a six-string Brice, made in Korea. Same place as my Agile AL2000. Douglas instruments were made by the same company, Saein Music Company, but in their Chinese factory.