Agile Guitars in The Wild...

Razzle
Reactions:
Gearlist: 2010 AL-2000 Goldtop Floyd
2013 AL-3200 Purple Quilt Floyd semi-custom
2017 AL-3100mcc Lemonburst Quilt Floyd

I had the idea to start a thread that would capture the discovery and variety of Agile/SX guitars found on the web.. Agile Guitars in The Wild

The idea is that Rondo over the years has made some really nice, but really different guitars from what you see out there. Besides some cool normal offerings, they had a period in their history where they did "Semi-Custom" orders for Agile branded guitars. These two things through Rondo's history has resulted in some very unusual and different guitars, the likes of which you just don't see anywhere. Most of those here know and love them, but are saddened to see this custom era pass. But those guitars are out there, and I personally am always surprised when I find something really different. I wanted to have a place to collect the discoveries.

This isn't meant to be a "Deals on the Web" pricing thread or a classifieds thread - but could certainly can be a place for someone who may be interested in buying (although I don't know who that would be). Even if you are an owner of an usual Agile and it wouldn't be a discovery in the wild, feel free to post a pic so we all can see the wonderful variety of Agile/SX guitars. And finally, I wanted to mention covid. We've all seen our world turned upside down because of covid. This last year we've seen guitars on the market skyrocket in selling price, but then also I think most would agree that for the most part - people aren't selling, they're holding on to their collections. So this has made the discovery an even more rare event. I will add that it seems of late, people are starting to loosen up a bit and we're starting to see more and more Agiles in the Wild.

I would like to start out with one of my guitars. Not because it's mine, but because it was a semi-custom that is very unusual (and I love it), I have never seen anything quite like it. I had two other semi-customs made that again show the possible variety of Agiles, but I'll hold off on posting those - maybe they'll show up for sale somethere (I keep looking but I never seen them).

This guitar features: 25.5" scale with 24 frets, stainless steel, floyd rose, carved heel, quilted top w/ triple black binding.

P.S. It would be nice if the links collected here persist and don't disappear. I believe Reverb links are excellent for this, whereas ebay links and others disappear. It would be great if pics very unusual guitars be posted so they can be retained here.
tobijohn
Reactions:

I've got a few custom Agiles that I've picked up used over the years as well as a couple AL-3010SE Custom Selects that I ordered directly (maybe the last two before custom orders were discontinued). I'll post individual pics and detailed specs later but from memory and for the time being:

AS-1000 block inlays, (Gold Top)
AL-3xxx double bound, single humbucker pickup (HSB)
AL-3xxx MOP block inlays, pickguard delete, Tone Pros bridge/stop bar (white)
AL-32xx flat top, JB/Jazz pickups, Grover bridge/stop bar/strap locks, kill switch (silverburst)

Two Al-3010SE Custom Selects both wide nut, (purple quilt, CSB plain top)

I've got several as well from the Agile glory days that I have not seen before or since acquiring them. Even though they were not custom orders, a lot of the lefty production runs were small and "one and dones'" as well. For example, @Mickey has an AS-1000 GT that came with a Bigsby that was one of only four ever offered...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
Razzle
Reactions:

Now here's one I just recently found in the wild, currently in auction on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/133785094767... an AL-2500, but this one is kinda unusual to me. Not only is it maple with a maple neck, but it's a lefty! Can't be too many of these floating around (prob common to tjb though, he's probably got two). I almost ordered one of these with a maple neck as a rondo custom, I should have while I could have.

BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Razzle wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 pm Now here's one I just recently found in the wild, currently in auction on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/133785094767... an AL-2500...
That one will probably be a very good deal to someone (not the seller) because it's listed as "Local pickup only" in New Jersey.
Partscaster
Reactions:

This is an SX Callisto with a flame/quilt top I've never seen advertised. It could have been a mistake.
DSCN2514.jpeg
DSCN2441.jpeg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
tobijohn
Reactions:

Razzle wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 pm Now here's one I just recently found in the wild, currently in auction on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/133785094767... an AL-2500, but this one is kinda unusual to me. Not only is it maple with a maple neck, but it's a lefty! Can't be too many of these floating around (prob common to tjb though, he's probably got two). I almost ordered one of these with a maple neck as a rondo custom, I should have while I could have.

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:04 pm
That one will probably be a very good deal to someone (not the seller) because it's listed as "Local pickup only" in New Jersey.
This is the first time I've seen a left-handed version of one of those maple fretboards for sale. I was very interested but not enough to drive up to NJ...
doc-knapp
Reactions:

You had me at "Agile, NJ."
tobijohn
Reactions:

doc-knapp wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:19 pm You had me at "Agile, NJ."
This thread got me thinking again about that AL-3000M plain top HSB you snagged...
tobijohn
Reactions:

Here's a lefty AL-2500 that looks like it could use more than a little TLC. It looks to be tribal green which along with the other colors in that finish I don't recall seeing after 2016 or so. Currently at $135 but I'd be surprised if it didn't get bid up at the end despite the condition:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284324420412?m ... nl%3Dmkcid
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote:Here's a lefty AL-2500 that looks like it could use more than a little TLC. It looks to be tribal green which along with the other colors in that finish I don't recall seeing after 2016 or so. Currently at $135 but I'd be surprised if it didn't get bid up at the end despite the condition:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284324420412?m ... nl%3Dmkcid
That is my 1st AL. Poor thing has been beat to hell since it left my care.ImageImage
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:56 am That is my 1st AL. Poor thing has been beat to hell since it left my care.
IIRC, this is not the first time we've seen it change hands. BTW, it sold for $255 and the maple fretboard AL-2500 is up to $310 with two more days to go! I'm sitting on a gold mine, I tell you...
honyock
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote:
honyock wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:56 am That is my 1st AL. Poor thing has been beat to hell since it left my care.
IIRC, this is not the first time we've seen it change hands. BTW, it sold for $255 and the maple fretboard AL-2500 is up to $310 with two more days to go! I'm sitting on a gold mine, I tell you...
It was in Ohio last year (Reverb). Agile 2500 Left Handed Single Cut LP Electric Guitar Green https://reverb.com/item/30369507-agile- ... t=30369507

Before that, I saw a within the past 5 years at Guitar Center in NW Tucson shortly after they opened the new location. I can't remember how much they wanted, but it was way more than I paid second hand or what I had sold it for. It was also a little worse for wear at that point. The photos is the reverb listing show that one of the pots may have been pushed through the top at some point as well.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
tobijohn
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:59 pm
Before that, I saw a within the past 5 years at Guitar Center in NW Tucson shortly after they opened the new location. I can't remember how much they wanted, but it was way more than I paid second hand or what I had paid for it. It was also a little worse for wear at that point. The photos is the reverb listing show that one of the pots may have been pushed through the top at some point as well.
You can see one of the control knobs in the eBay listing was gold while the other three were the stock amber, probably that one...
honyock
Reactions:

I can't believe someone would pay $255 plus shipping (and possibly tax as well) for it...
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:04 pm
Razzle wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 pm Now here's one I just recently found in the wild, currently in auction on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/133785094767... an AL-2500...
You'd think, wouldn't you? Even with local pickup only, it's at $320 with another half day to go. I can feel it, some of my Agiles are getting very nervous. They've all had it pretty damn easy these past years...
dabbler
Reactions:

Razzle wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 pm Now here's one I just recently found in the wild, currently in auction on ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/133785094767... an AL-2500, but this one is kinda unusual to me. Not only is it maple with a maple neck, but it's a lefty! Can't be too many of these floating around (prob common to tjb though, he's probably got two). I almost ordered one of these with a maple neck as a rondo custom, I should have while I could have.

Yeah, one of the things I appreciated about Rondo was some of the of the beaten path models they sold (SX on left, Agile on right).
Bass_aluminum_case008.jpg
Razzle
Reactions:

Here's one you don't see often, a Tribal Purple done right. Not sure if anyone remembers my rants before about purple vs fuschia (FWP syndrome). The tribal purple on this one is pretty good. I'm not sure what makes this one so special as a semi-custom, seems to have pretty standard features. The price this guy has at $1,350?... he's smoking something. Nice color, but inconsistent quilt top.

Agile Custom Order AL Series (Les Paul copy) -- Neck-thru

tobijohn
Reactions:

Razzle wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 am Here's one you don't see often, a Tribal Purple done right. Not sure if anyone remembers my rants before about purple vs fuschia (FWP syndrome). The tribal purple on this one is pretty good. I'm not sure what makes this one so special as a semi-custom, seems to have pretty standard features. The price this guy has at $1,350?... he's smoking something. Nice color, but inconsistent quilt top.

I'm curious to see what this one might actually sell for. Compared to what we've were accustomed to Agiles selling for pre-Covid, the asking price is outrageous. However, assuming the build quality is on par with a Gibson having equivalent specs, then the price I guess is not that delusional. If it goes for anywhere near what's being asked, then perhaps the Agile reputation for quality is finally being recognized by the mainstream. If that is the case, then I wonder if we'll ever see the old "steals and deals" we used to. Also worth tracking is the resale value of other brands that most likely came out of the same factory at that time (Dillion comes to mind and maybe some earlier Raven West models)..
Razzle
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:42 am I'm curious to see what this one might actually sell for. Compared to what we've were accustomed to Agiles selling for pre-Covid, the asking price is outrageous. However, assuming the build quality is on par with a Gibson having equivalent specs, then the price I guess is not that delusional. If it goes for anywhere near what's being asked, then perhaps the Agile reputation for quality is finally being recognized by the mainstream. If that is the case, then I wonder if we'll ever see the old "steals and deals" we used to. Also worth tracking is the resale value of other brands that most likely came out of the same factory at that time (Dillion comes to mind and maybe some earlier Raven West models)..
Well it hasn't sold. I think it's outrageous, he prob paid near 900 for it. For me, if I were to consider that used, I'd be more like less than half.

I don't know if we'll see deals anymore on Agiles (or anything for that matter). I wonder when all the old guys like me with $ still buying guitars (guitar music is not en vogue anymore) and how long that buying spree will go on. Guitar prices are ALL getting ridiculous.

Did not know that about the factories. I have an original Raven mccarty clone, the thing is a great guitar!
Razzle
Reactions:

So here's one, gotta be unusual... it's a goldtop but with P90's and a bigsby, and it's another lefty!

Agile AL-3010 GOLD P90 Wide Left Hand Shaller Roller Bridge Bigsby Tail Piece With Case

tobijohn
Reactions:

Razzle wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:13 pm
Did not know that about the factories. I have an original Raven mccarty clone, the thing is a great guitar!
I'm not sure if RWG is still even in business but if the more recent blingier ones and the current Wolfe guitars aren't from the same source, I'd be shocked. I have a picture somewhere of the two I have side by side and it's obvious...
tobijohn
Reactions:

Razzle wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:16 pm So here's one, gotta be unusual... it's a goldtop but with P90's and a bigsby, and it's another lefty!

Agile AL-3010 GOLD P90 Wide Left Hand Shaller Roller Bridge Bigsby Tail Piece With Case

I assume the Bigsby and Schaller bridge probably cost around $250 and the guitar/HSC was most likely $375-$400at the time. IIRC, there were a couple runs of the lefty P90 GT 3010SEs too, I picked up a used one with some handwounds (High Order) three or four years ago...
Razzle
Reactions:

This is an example of Rondo's red. It's a gorgeous red here in flame, they make a great tribal red too. Not a great deal at $620 tho.

Agile Electric Guitar 3010 Ebony Fretboard with Beautiful Inlays + Tweed Case

mickey
Reactions:

Hefty asking price for a 3010 in my opinion.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Razzle
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:35 am Hefty asking price for a 3010 in my opinion.
Yep, he's already lowered it, going lower.

So Agiles are continuing to pop up.

Here's a Cool Cat for a cool $550, and a super rare AL-3200mmc for deal of $850, hurry up that's a heretofore unseen model! We are all only familiar with the AL-3200mcc.

Image Image