$1100 Agile

BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Either this guy is batstuff crazy or I have not been watching the market right. $1100 for any Agile is lunacy, no matter what upgrades may have been done.

https://reverb.com/item/36137345-agile- ... ilverburst

Of course I could be wrong and the new value of Agiles makes TJ a one-percenter.
fatjack
Reactions:

Well he's from Denver. Think we know what he's been smoking to get that price.
dabbler
Reactions:

I guess EVERYTHING'S high in Denver, the city, the people and the prices!
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Now with a 10% discount! :lol:

Seriously, though... a place where I lived a few houses ago had a little tiny commercial building across the street, size of a duplex. No foot traffic and totally away from any shops, not really a retail area. Some dude opened up a "music store". I went in to look (nobody was there). Talked to the guy, he says he bought out a music shop going out of business, inventory and all. Blah-blah-blah. Mostly cheap no-name stuff, high prices. Later he had it converted to "by appointment only". But while we were talking he mentioned that music is his hobby while accounting is his profession. Oh, ok, then. My guess: money laundering. No, not big time mob money, just petty tax evasion. That's my unsubstantiated theory :mrgreen:

If they got "the honorable courts" to grant copyright to [already used many times] chord progressions and rhythm groove, why couldn't someone who knows nothing about guitars be convinced that a guitar like this (that looks "just like" a much higher priced gibson) be convinced that a sale like this is legit? And it can always be arranged for someone to "buy" this. I've seen this happen when searching for a house.

Of course, it's much more likely the seller just doesn't grasp reality :D
fatjack
Reactions:

Well I politely asked why he was asking 100 more than thomann shipped. He said' because people always offer less and because he can do what he wants.' I means who's going to offer more.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

Yep. People always get all worked up about a seller asking an unreasonably high price. "Greed". Or stupidity. But greed and stupidity in nature have natural checks on them - like no buyers. And if he manages to find a buyer - they absolutely do deserve each other. I like free market more than I hate greed and stupidity, et al.
fatjack
Reactions:

lol just saw my post was in the wrong thread
golem
Reactions:

LOL. I've bought core level PRS for less than that and a 10 top for only a bit more.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

fatjack wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:08 pm lol just saw my post was in the wrong thread
I knew which one you were talking about, no matter.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

fatjack wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:58 pm Well I politely asked why he was asking 100 more than thomann shipped. He said' because people always offer less and because he can do what he wants.' I means who's going to offer more.
Yeah, that's the thing - "because he can". I've slowed my guitar buying down to a crawl because the market isn't what it used to be, and most of that is that sellers have changed their nature by and large.

It used to be a basic expectation that if a guitar was good but not rare, it might get half its new selling price or a bit more on the used market. Nobody is in that ballpark anymore, and it seems most think guitars appreciate in value the more they're used.

And yes, while people do take offers, I only give offers if the seller's asking is already within a reasonable proximity of the guitar's value. If they ask too much, my reasonable offer would be called a low-ball, and it's just not enjoyable to chase any guitars in that climate.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:11 pm And yes, while people do take offers, I only give offers if the seller's asking is already within a reasonable proximity of the guitar's value. If they ask too much, my reasonable offer would be called a low-ball, and it's just not enjoyable to chase any guitars in that climate.
I engage in lowballing on purpose when sellers aren't reasonable. It's a sport. I guess it started with my frustration shopping for houses. But yes, I've been called names, people get upset, emotional, hurt, insulted. GOOD. I respect free market and that includes unreasonable offers from each side, counteroffers to arrive at something reasonable. Or it becomes a free reality check to them and I just keep amused.

Some of these people are not sellers, they're "sitters".
fatjack
Reactions:

Gear_Junky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 pm
BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:11 pm And yes, while people do take offers, I only give offers if the seller's asking is already within a reasonable proximity of the guitar's value. If they ask too much, my reasonable offer would be called a low-ball, and it's just not enjoyable to chase any guitars in that climate.
I engage in lowballing on purpose when sellers aren't reasonable. It's a sport. I guess it started with my frustration shopping for houses. But yes, I've been called names, people get upset, emotional, hurt, insulted. GOOD. I respect free market and that includes unreasonable offers from each side, counteroffers to arrive at something reasonable. Or it becomes a free reality check to them and I just keep amused.

I do the same when bored I'll lowball. If they're snarky back I'll either ignore them or remind them what it was worth new and mention devaluation of used and say at least I was ballpark priced. then you have the 'sitters' the only reason it's offered and priced that way is to say I listed it not my fault noone wants it.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

I had 2 recent used purchases that I thought were fair, both amps.

One was the Acoustic A1000 on eBay. The seller was a pawnshop and had "make offer" option, so I did. After a little back-and-forth they accepted my price, which with shipping made the item precisely half price of new. That I consider fair. This amp was a bit out of my price range and not likely to see many of them used, so I am happy.

The other was my Palomino V32 - from Guitar Center used listings. Seems like individual store's managers set the prices, so you can sometimes see similar items priced very differently. And shipping sort of kills most of it, but the best offerings are snatched fast. In this case I just had the option of returning to local GC, so I took a chance - had no way of knowing if this was the US version and had a footswitch, but it turned up in mint condition, with footswitch, extra cables, made in USA.

I had a few items from GC used in my cart that disappeared because someone else snatched them, so it's a sport.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

fatjack wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:18 am
Gear_Junky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 pm

I do the same when bored I'll lowball. If they're snarky back I'll either ignore them or remind them what it was worth new and mention devaluation of used and say at least I was ballpark priced. then you have the 'sitters' the only reason it's offered and priced that way is to say I listed it not my fault noone wants it.
I do find myself tempted to lowball sellers like this one, but if I get on a roll I have a hard time remaining decent about it. As an example, the $1100 Agile, I actually started the process of a lowball offer and in the comment section, started typing a question that sorta went like: "So I have to ask why you priced it that high because bwa hah, ha haw ha, ha ha!". I did think about maintaining a Reverb reputation though, so I closed the window, never sending the offer or snark. That decision was aided by the thought that if the guy did accept the offer, I'd probably receive a guitar that had been peed on.
tobijohn
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:11 pm
fatjack wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:58 pm Well I politely asked why he was asking 100 more than thomann shipped. He said' because people always offer less and because he can do what he wants.' I means who's going to offer more.
Yeah, that's the thing - "because he can". I've slowed my guitar buying down to a crawl because the market isn't what it used to be, and most of that is that sellers have changed their nature by and large.

It used to be a basic expectation that if a guitar was good but not rare, it might get half its new selling price or a bit more on the used market. Nobody is in that ballpark anymore, and it seems most think guitars appreciate in value the more they're used.

Perhaps it's coincidental but this disconnect from what used to be the old norm in terms of used pricing seems to have started with the virus thing. I haven't done an in depth survey but used Agiles in good condition normally went for 50%-67% of their new price and in many cases, 50% (at least left handed ones). In the last several months though, I could count on one hand the number that were listed for less than their original new price and in some cases, a multiple of the new price is being asked. And that's stock, if there happened to be a pickup or harness upgrade, the seller seems to feel that they're entitled to the full retail price of those parts and cost of professional installation as well. Then again, I wonder how many of these overpriced listings are actually selling...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

fatjack wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:58 pm He said' because people always offer less and because he can do what he wants.
He’s correct on both counts.

And I would add one more reason...because works. Every time someone posts an “OMG..look how much this person is selling -x- for” thread, it drives clicks/views to their auction. Additionally, the practice of setting a very high retail price and giving a big discount works, it’s s very common practice in retail sales. Even when the final selling price is still higher than the “street” price

Is it a “fair” practice? Probably not, but life ain’t fair. Is it annoying? Only if you allow yourself to be annoyed.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Brendan
Reactions:

Well, he did just drop it to $1000. :)
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

fatjack wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:58 pm He said' because people always offer less and because he can do what he wants.
Simple way to deal with that: 1. price fairly and 2. say "firm".
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:09 pm Perhaps it's coincidental but this disconnect from what used to be the old norm in terms of used pricing seems to have started with the virus thing.
possible. people are bored and just want something to do. a local guy on CL proposed that people trade in their "old unplayable" guitars for something "new and set up" - he doesn't want to sell, but trade, because he's doing a hobby to keep occupied. But he wants no strats. Didn't want a bass. Does he think he'll lure a vintage guitar from someone this way, Aladdin-style? :lol:
slowhand84
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:17 pm Either this guy is batstuff crazy or I have not been watching the market right. $1100 for any Agile is lunacy, no matter what upgrades may have been done.

https://reverb.com/item/36137345-agile- ... ilverburst

Of course I could be wrong and the new value of Agiles makes TJ a one-percenter.
Yeah this is nothing new on good ole Reverb, see my other posts here for the lolz. The prices lowered a lot and then the listings "ended" but just about once a month or so I see an Agile posted for $1100+ used and have a hearty laugh :).

https://www.aguitarforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=612

https://www.aguitarforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=740
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

I have zero familiarity with Reverb and zero desire to check, but don't they charge listing fees like feeBay? That tends to motivate sellers to aim to actually SELL, not just list.
glasshand
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:11 pm It used to be a basic expectation that if a guitar was good but not rare, it might get half its new selling price or a bit more on the used market. Nobody is in that ballpark anymore, and it seems most think guitars appreciate in value the more they're used.
Just the other day I was listening to "Sultans of Swing" again, and there's a line in there that goes "An old guitar is all that he can afford." And I was reading a comment somewhere the other day by an older player, and he was commenting that back in the 1970s, you had to have a new guitar if you intended to be seen as a serious player. Certainly we all have heard of those times when you could barely give away now-legendary Les Pauls because they were perceived as old and stodgy. But now I think things have kind of gone 180 degrees the other way, and everything old is now considered desirable, even if it was pretty much junk when it was new.
Gear_Junky
Reactions:

And those poor players in the 30's, 40's and 50's just couldn't have a vintage electric guitar to shape their tone (because they didn't exist yet). Just how did they manage? :lol:
slowhand84
Reactions:

Gear_Junky wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:57 pm I have zero familiarity with Reverb and zero desire to check, but don't they charge listing fees like feeBay? That tends to motivate sellers to aim to actually SELL, not just list.
Reverb only charges a fee if your item sells. You can have an item on Reverb for the rest of your life for free, until it actually sells you are not charged anything.
tobijohn
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:14 pm...
Just the other day I was listening to "Sultans of Swing" again, and there's a line in there that goes "An old guitar is all that he can afford." And I was reading a comment somewhere the other day by an older player, and he was commenting that back in the 1970s, you had to have a new guitar if you intended to be seen as a serious player. Certainly we all have heard of those times when you could barely give away now-legendary Les Pauls because they were perceived as old and stodgy. But now I think things have kind of gone 180 degrees the other way, and everything old is now considered desirable, even if it was pretty much junk when it was new.
Or Steve Earle at 1:00 in Guitar Town, "Everybody told me you can't get far with $37 and a Jap guitar"

Who wouldn't be happy with just about anything out of Matsumoto?

Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar