AD 201 revisit

fatjack
Reactions:

This is the one gitar I should have sent straight back but thought I could get the action right. The only issue I have with it is I can't get the wraparound low enough or any other lefty one low enough without cutting into the wood to drop it. I guess I bought it too as it was the only lefty p90 he had and I didn't want to miss out. The fit and finish are great and the pups are nice but would be better with a magnet swap.I paid the extra for the faber wraparound which solved the intonation problem the first batch had but created the height issue. :shock:
Attachments
0719181528.jpg
0719181528a.jpg
honyock
Reactions:

Kind of surprised a Faber style bridge didn't get you an acceptable action? My AD of the same vintage, I have to have mine raised a good bit.

I have long thought about taking a spare tailpiece and throwing it on the mill to make a slot
for a saddle like an acoustic, but it would seem possible to improve upon that idea and make individual slots to insert short sections or even use saddles from a TOM bridge ground down and brazed into the bridge. I have a bunch of old junky Sung Il and no-name bridges that I have replaced with Gotoh and other locking styles.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
Chocol8
Reactions:

I would take a grinder to the bridge.
Forecaster
Reactions:

Grinding the bridge might be part of the answer once you've recessed the posts it sits in some. I've got a lefty one with the stock bridge and bridge height is not an issue on it.
fatjack
Reactions:

I'll recheck things when I get home, see if I missed something. I figured for$300 I shouldn't have to modify a damn thing to get reasonably low action. Other than setting neck relief and adjusting bridge height. But if I'm right it needs to go with 5 others than don't get any play time.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

I had a couple of AD201's over the years and never ran into that issue that I can remember, but i also had the plain old non-compensated wraptail - which I would guess might put the strings lower without the additional ridges on top?

Hope you can figure it out, that's one guitar I wish I would have never sold ( twice! ). I think I paid less than $300 for both of them used when I bought them...didn't realize they were going for so much now.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
honyock
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote:I had a couple of AD201's over the years and never ran into that issue that I can remember, but i also had the plain old non-compensated wraptail - which I would guess might put the strings lower without the additional ridges on top?

Hope you can figure it out, that's one guitar I wish I would have never sold ( twice! ). I think I paid less than $300 for both of them used when I bought them...didn't realize they were going for so much now.
The Faber compensated is basically an aluminum Gotoh style tailpiece that they cut an intonation pattern into. If anything it results in a lower point for each of the strings where the machined edge. However, if one does not replace the stock posts or place shims above the bridge, the Faber will tilt up in back because it is not a tight fit in the original metric studs. I forgot that I had installed locking studs on mine that corrects the rocking.
10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
fatjack
Reactions:

[mention]honyock[/mention] Guesss I didn't make it clear the bottom of the Faber does not touch th posts. The face of the guitar keeps it above the posts. Which why I said I'd have to cut wood to drop the Faber. [mention]uwmcscott[/mention] That was new from Rondo 260 plus 40 for the Faber and 20 shipping.
honyock
Reactions:

fatjack wrote:[mention]honyock[/mention] Guesss I didn't make it clear the bottom of the Faber does not touch th posts. The face of the guitar keeps it above the posts. Which why I said I'd have to cut wood to drop the Faber. [mention]uwmcscott[/mention] That was new from Rondo 260 plus 40 for the Faber and 20 shipping.
in that case, some of these will fix your wagon. Should be able to lay the strings right on the frets almost with the Faber and these:
https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.co ... c-threads/

fatjack
Reactions:

Got the lockers.
rgdave
Reactions:
Gearlist: Agile Harm, Douglas Classic, Douglas Ceti, SX tele, Epi SG, Fender P bass, Ibanez artcore, Alvarez acoustic, Gretsch acoustic, misc. cob-job guitars and some amps.

Thanks for the post to both of you! I just ordered the lockers for my Douglas Classic which has similar issues.
Without music I'd be lost.