Agile Shoutout from Brian Wampler

PsychoCid
Reactions:

Most guitars people compare are already 99% similar so yeah it's splitting hairs.

The only two guitars I've ever known that clearly stand out in a room -- to the point where professional gigging musicians turn their heads and go whoa that's a different sound -- are my #1 Kramer-alike and my Wolfgang-alike.

I've had tons of real Kramer's and several Wolfgang's and while great in their own right, didn't sound a thing like mine.

And it's because they're built to do exactly that. They have significantly different wood, different paint (thin as hell, no finish), different (much heavier) hardware, and yes quite different pickups than most people use.

Ya know what hasn't changed, though?

Play whatever the F you enjoy. :)
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:14 am
BatUtilityBelt wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:35 pm No, it isn't. I don't know why you so often want to assert that others are just wrong, but it's annoying, insulting, and frequently intolerable.
I know you are wrong because I have spent a lot of time doing double blind testing and studying auditory hallucinations. As I said, test it yourself, you will learn something.
So basically you're saying everyone who has a different experience is wrong because you believe yourself to be somehow better at evaluating not only your own, but everyone else's experiences? That there is bloviating BS. Your perspective is not superior to others'. Others are here to discuss, not to try to "win" discussions. Try having just your own point of view without trying to crap on others.

Sharing differing opinions is great. Trying to devalue other peoples' perspectives is not. That's a bullying tactic and in my opinion it is counterproductive in any public forum. I've seen allowed bullying destroy forums and teams, so I go after it just like in work situations. If you want to try to beat people down, maybe try parler or twitter or that new anti-twitter. If you want to learn and share, I'm all for that here. If I have to make someone wish to never have this conversation again along the way, so be it.
Chocol8
Reactions:

I have been involved in double blind testing with hundreds of people including at a university auditory lab. Like every other human you can’t hear what you think you can. I will repeat for the last time, recruit some friends and have them test you with a double blind test.
PsychoCid
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:01 pm I have been involved in double blind testing with hundreds of people including at a university auditory lab. Like every other human you can’t hear what you think you can. I will repeat for the last time, recruit some friends and have them test you with a double blind test.
Lol @ that tho.

Two identical model guitars off the same line on the same day don't even sound the same.

Hell, a single guitar by itself can sound different depending on weather and humidity changes affecting both the fiddle and the amp.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:01 pm I have been involved in double blind testing with hundreds of people including at a university auditory lab. Like every other human you can’t hear what you think you can. I will repeat for the last time, recruit some friends and have them test you with a double blind test.
You brought no insult this time, so I will address that argument now. You assert that we all hear the same, but some of us fool ourselves into thinking we hear something that is not there. I do think that happens to people on occasion, but not to the ridiculous degree that's what everyone is doing all the time. Your position implies we're all the same and those of us who don't agree with you are fools. Nah. We have differences, significant ones.

What a boring world this would be if you were right. There would be no great athletes, no innovators, no virtuosos. The fact is we have people who break out from the crowd despite equal efforts because we weigh our experiences differently and we have vastly differing abilities. We are not all just the same. We each have our own strengths and weaknesses. If we lean into our strengths and try to compensate for our weaknesses, we better ourselves. We hear things differently, see things differently, taste things differently, etc. More importantly, we make associations between senses differently. There is plenty of overlap, but it's the differences that make art art. If we take your position, only someone claiming superiority on a nebulous basis excels. No thanks.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

tobijohn wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:56 pm All I can say about this is that after playing a couple dozen in a row and making numerous amp and effects adjustments for each, to my ear at least, they all f'n sound pretty much the same...:)
Someone needs to invent a modeling pickup....
First I will say Agile guitars are not Les Pauls at all. That is my opinion based on owning many of each. Of the two brands, I only own Gibson guitars now.

These guys are just down the road from me. One of their techs has done quite a bit of luthier work for me since I decided to do it any longer. It's not quite modeler pickups but kinda is.

https://somniumguitars.com/guitars/

On a side note, i just watched a video and forgive me if it was posted here but I will speak to it. Basically this guy did comparisons trying to prove there was no such thing as "tone wood". It was a very comprehensive demonstration, with different bodies of different wood, just a 2x4 plank, different hardware etc. and in the end he stretched strings out between and anchored bridge and nut and mounted a pup right where it would go. He used two different pups for each set up and each test the pups recreated their tone respectively regardless of what or how the guitar was made. When he got the exact same tone with no wood at all just strings and the pup it was very telling.

Here it is if you are interested and sorry if it was posted here before. It's worth a watch.https://youtu.be/n02tImce3AE
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Chocol8
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:59 pm
You brought no insult this time, so I will address that argument now. You assert that we all hear the same, but some of us fool ourselves into thinking we hear something that is not there. I do think that happens to people on occasion, but not to the ridiculous degree that's what everyone is doing all the time. Your position implies we're all the same and those of us who don't agree with you are fools. Nah. We have differences, significant ones.

What a boring world this would be if you were right. There would be no great athletes, no innovators, no virtuosos. The fact is we have people who break out from the crowd despite equal efforts because we weigh our experiences differently and we have vastly differing abilities. We are not all just the same. We each have our own strengths and weaknesses. If we lean into our strengths and try to compensate for our weaknesses, we better ourselves. We hear things differently, see things differently, taste things differently, etc. More importantly, we make associations between senses differently. There is plenty of overlap, but it's the differences that make art art. If we take your position, only someone claiming superiority on a nebulous basis excels. No thanks.
I never said we all hear the same, but I will say we ALL suffer from auditory hallucinations all the time in our daily lives. Even people who are aware of it and study it are just as susceptible. And despite how much we like to think we are all different, we all have many of the same shortcomings in common. A huge one is we all hear differences that aren’t really there because our brains trust our vision and our past experiences more than our ears. I am not making this up, it is a well studied field.

Yes, there are some people with better hearing. Some who can hear difference that others cannot. Still, there are bound ranges our abilities fall into and there is no one who can hear better than good microphones. We can easily measure things we can’t hear, and there is nothing we can hear that we can’t measure. There is no magic in audio.

As I have mentioned a number of times, I used to make a lot of money from people in the hifi world who were so convinced they could hear things they would bet real money on it, only to fail miserably when other cues were removed. I later became friends with a guy running a hearing neurology lab at a local university, and observed and participated in some other interesting experiments. Never came across someone with truly golden ears.

In this case, I don’t disagree that there is a real measurable difference between two different Les Pauls, but you really have to strain to hear it, if audible at all, and it wouldn’t take much compression and background noise to make it completely inaudible.

When you hear big differences between guitars, you are hearing different pickups (including differences between two of the same model), different setup (pickup height), different cap and pot values (even if labeled the same), and different wiring (50’s vs 60’s), and obviously different strings.

The differences beyond that are super subtle. SOMETIMES you can hear the difference in an AB test, but put one sample into a mix and ask someone which it is without a reference, and forget it. Ad MP3 and or YouTube compression and it’s even worse. I know, I have tested it myself and with people who have better (measured) hearing than I do and a lot of experience listening.

There is no point in further arguing. People will either choose to test for themselves and know what they can and cannot hear, or choose to believe on blind faith. Most will always choose the second option. Reminds me of an old quote whose source I can’t remember…”it is far easier to fool someone than it is to convince them that they have been fooled.” Human nature…we can’t escape it.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:09 pm
The differences beyond that are super subtle. SOMETIMES you can hear the difference in an AB test, but put one sample into a mix and ask someone which it is without a reference, and forget it.
It's pointless to argue scientific dominion of artful devices. If science could understand all the nuances important in instruments, Sweetwater would sell violins that emote better than Stradivarii. It just doesn't wash.
PsychoCid
Reactions:

Two ships missing each other in the night.

The point is not whether you can IDENTIFY which guitar is A and which guitar is B.

The point is simply whether you prefer one.
Chocol8
Reactions:

PsychoCid wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:16 pm Two ships missing each other in the night.

The point is not whether you can IDENTIFY which guitar is A and which guitar is B.

The point is simply whether you prefer one.
As a player sure, but as a listener, how do you prefer one over the other if you can’t tell them apart?

While I am a big fan of play what makes you happy and what inspires you to play, there is a practical consideration here. For those chasing tone or someone with a limited budget, where do you focus? When it comes to tone, the answer is pickups, amps, speakers or IR’s and a whole bunch of other things before you worry about the tonal difference between different but similarly constructed maple cap over mahogany Les Pauls.

My experience is that the most important part of a guitar (ignoring amp and effect etc.) is how it physically feels to play. Everything else can be easily fixed. The second most important thing is the pickups. With the right pickups in the right spot, you can get your tone no matter what the other parts are.
Chocol8
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:37 pm
Chocol8 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:09 pm
The differences beyond that are super subtle. SOMETIMES you can hear the difference in an AB test, but put one sample into a mix and ask someone which it is without a reference, and forget it.
It's pointless to argue scientific dominion of artful devices. If science could understand all the nuances important in instruments, Sweetwater would sell violins that emote better than Stradivarii. It just doesn't wash.
I guess you missed the test where 5 Stradivari and another old violin were put up against 6 new ones. Hint: you won’t like the results because they don’t agree with your preconceived ideas and won’t support your argument. You aren’t alone. The test was controversial because “experts” knew it just had to be wrong!

https://www.thestrad.com/blind-tested-s ... 94.article
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:04 am I guess you missed the test where 5 Stradivari and another old violin were put up against 6 new ones. Hint: you won’t like the results because they don’t agree with your preconceived ideas and won’t support your argument. You aren’t alone. The test was controversial because “experts” knew it just had to be wrong!

https://www.thestrad.com/blind-tested-s ... 94.article
It's easy to find exceptions to the rule.
Chocol8
Reactions:

As I suspected, no amount of testing or evidence can penetrate a truly closed mind.
Chocol8
Reactions:

BTW, there have been multiple tests, and the results have been consistent. Can you find the exception to the rule? A double blind test that confirms your preconception? I’ll hold my breath.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Chocol8 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:36 am BTW, there have been multiple tests, and the results have been consistent. Can you find the exception to the rule? A double blind test that confirms your preconception? I’ll hold my breath.
Every major symphony.

I know some classical musicians, and at least a couple cork sniffers who love their instruments with great passion. What I've never heard is "I had a Strad, but traded it for this amazing Yamaha".
Chocol8
Reactions:

Ignorance is an ugly look. Maybe you should at least read a couple articles on the tests before commenting because if you follow major symphonies you might have recognized the names. Don’t bother responding further. I am happy to help educate someone interested in learning, but I have no time for closed minded stubborn idiots who double and triple down on being wrong.
mickey
Reactions:

@BatUtilityBelt & @Chocol8; if y'all want to continue this conversation, please take it to PM's.
Gandalf the Intonationer
Theylive716
Reactions:
Gearlist: Too much of everything.

It was cool to hear the name come up for sure. As for it not sounding like a Les Paul? Man there’s so many variations amongst LPs and LP type guitars it’s insane. So, maybe it doesn’t sound like the one you have but jeez Louise it’s a dual humbucker solid body 22 fret guitar… you’re gonna be in the ballpark haha