ad3200 satin neck blems in clean how to buff out?

artandsoul
Reactions:

Hey long time since posting on the old agf now its the new 3rd version i guess of agile forum lol . I Just got a new ad3200 purple blurple satin finish today in the mail. It has some orange peel and trash in the satin clear on the neck where u feel it and I know rondo wont give me any kind of refund on the crap finish due to it being on sale price :lol: there excuse in the past.
So what can I use to buff these factory blems out the finish? I'm thinking some kind of compound but since it's satin thought it might gloss up the neck if I used any car finish compounds. This is my 1st satin finish guitar ever so dumb on buffing out satin or matte finishes .
Ill post some pics up tomorrow , might can get the 3-4" of the rough orange peel in pics but other spots 3-4 on rear of neck are just tiny trash spots in finish so not much to whine about but the rough orange peely spot sucks and need to be addressed for sure thanks!
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
mighty_duck
Reactions:

If there are actual bumps on the back of the neck, that is a serious cause to contact Rondo.
In my experience, sale item does not mean B-Stock item, and Kurt has always made things right for me. Whether it was a partial refund, an exchange, or a full refund including return shipping, and he usually gives you the option to choose.

Give that a try before deciding if you want to keep and fix it, or get an exchange.

Oh, and welcome back to the fold!
artandsoul
Reactions:

Heres some pics, i bought it on reverb not rondo site and there are pretty much no returns on reverb unless its broke. ill ask rondo but i doubt it will matter as he has told me in the past blems are normal .
AAAAAAAAAAGILE.jpg
AAAAAAAAAGILE.jpg
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
Flatline
Reactions:

That looks like it came in contact with something before the finish was fully cured. I'd return it if it was me.
artandsoul
Reactions:

I sent them a message on reverb waiting to see what they say about it. Looks like that spot didnt get enough clear on it or like u say something touched it before it was dry.
devdem
Reactions:

If you really like the guitar and are set on keeping it, you could just follow standard refinishing regimen of using progressively finer wet/dry sandpaper on a block until it's smooth to your taste. There is some risk in going through the color though. Else I don't see a refinish option beyond sanding/fine steel wool. Or just live with it.
jtcnj
Reactions:

The pictures make it look really bumpy, seems like it would affect playability and more than a blemish.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
mighty_duck
Reactions:

Did you buy new from Rondo through their Reverb store, or used from someone's Reverb store?

If it's the former, Kurt will still stand behind his stuff.
fatjack
Reactions:

Well if you buff it enough to smooth it up you very well may shine it. However you could then satin it by using a rougher sandpaper. If you bought new from Kurts,s reverb store email him with pics and see. If it was bought used deal with the seller or send it back. A bargain ain't a bargain if it cost too much to fix it.
artandsoul
Reactions:

I think its all gonna work out fine in the end! I ended up doing a partial refund from rondo, they offered and exchange but my job makes it so hard for me to be here on a certain day to sign a box for an exchange out for another i just did a refund. My luck an exchange out would weigh 11 lb 13oz like the last ad3200 agile i got and ended up selling months later due to being a back breaker. This one only weighs 8 lb 9 oz so its light for an agile imo and probably lightest one he had.
I just dropped it off with a guy i know who does car painting and wood refinishing and he says he can buff the spot and can blend it in again with different grades of paper to look satin. ill go pick it up later today and see how it turned out and post some pics of the results. He does 15k paint jobs on cars so im sure he can get it strait.
artandsoul
Reactions:

came out fine its a tiny tiny bit shinier than it was but cant tell from 2 feet away and feels fine and works for me!
neck2.jpg
mighty_duck
Reactions:

Excellent!
I'm glad it worked out for you on both the refund and (more importantly) getting a kick ash guitar.
I've never heard of these lighter than 9 pounds, so it sounds like a keeper.

How are you liking the neck? It was a bit too thin for my tastes, but others either view it as an advantage or didn't even notice.
artandsoul
Reactions:

mighty_duck wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:29 pm Excellent!
I'm glad it worked out for you on both the refund and (more importantly) getting a kick ash guitar.
I've never heard of these lighter than 9 pounds, so it sounds like a keeper.

How are you liking the neck? It was a bit too thin for my tastes, but others either view it as an advantage or didn't even notice.
Yeah it worked out great really hard to tell it was buffed out and its on the treble side so you never really see it.

Its def thinner than the 3100, it says on rondo site that 3100 and 3200 are both 19.5mm at 1st fret, id say this is 19mm at 1st fret at most but I havent measured it yet. It does feel thinner or maybe the thickness of the poly is thinner on the 3200. feels more like a schecter , ibanez ,esp neck than the 3100.
I love the weight and I was in fear that if I did the exchange out I would get a boat anchor on the exchange lol. It feels nice as I like some weight on guitars or they feel like toys, my sx callisto is about 7,5lbs it feels like a toy in my hands today compared to this 3200 or the 3100 at 10lbs. sx needs to gain some weight imo may have to stuff the control cavity with a few 5oz silver bars that should fatten it up some lol at least it would be worth more then.
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Glad it worked out, and yeah- that has to be one of the lightest 3200's I've ever seen. I had a semi-custom 3200 that I got from @tonebender , who got it from ZacsDad ( from the old AGF ) and it was a beautiful guitar but it was well over 12lbs.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )