MOZZ's pedals for sale thread

mozz
Reactions:

MOZZ's pedals for sale thread. Just typed for a hour and lost everything, so here goes again.

This is basically a placeholder until i have better descriptions written up. There are some Narsh and Toomanycats soundbites out there but i think i do have links or mp3's somewhere.
I can't do any sound clips as the wife is third shift and i can't crank a amp at 530am or 930pm yet, maybe a Sat-Sun, trying to work out some schedule.
I have a Tascam recorder thing and i might be able to do a line in from y Nobels sound studio.
Descriptions will have things like
BASED ON :
POWER :
CONTROLS :
TRANSISTORS :
IC'S :
MODS :
EXTRAS :
PRICE: usually $50 + $5 ship (my labor is very cheap)
ETC:

Some pedals i have 5 or more already made. There are 40 here already.
Some are the only one and i will make sure i have documents and pictures before i sell it.
Some will be built to order and will take a week or so. Some are totally stock.
Some are demos, samples, frankensteins and will be sold cheap.
Some may have vintage parts such as original transistors and tropical fish caps or parts dated from the 50's 60's, they may cost a little more.
Fuzzes, tonebenders, mosrite fuzz, elka dizzy tone, treble boosters, Maestro fz1, octavias, vox, shin -ei, dist +, dod 250 overdrive, big muffs, etc.
Some i have a dark version which is added capacitors for more low end. Some i have high gain transistors, other i have med-low gain and not as massive a fuzz.
99% i use Teflon wire because it's great.

Will add more to each picture as time permits.

Editing already. Some PNP transistor pedals are battery only, other I have a power jack with regular center negative, BUT you must use a isolated supply or a separate individual supply. Other pedals are regular NPN silicon or IC based and they can be daisy chained to your current setup with no problems. I will explain each pedals as i type up the descriptions. I can probably mod it to a power jack if it's battery only. Some have LED's, other don't but you for sure will know they are on.
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

2SB714 1 KNOB FUZZ

This is pretty new, it's a 1 knob fuzz based on a regular fuzz face wide open and you only have volume. The thing about this is, very high gain transistors, and i mean real high. There is a third transistor mounted under the board in reverse bias to counteract the leakage, so in other words it's pretty temp stable for a germanium pedal. The gain is real high, did i mention that. Your soul will be ground into a fine dust and snorted by hookers with the metal you play with this. May not be for most people. Transistors are 2sb714 PNP germanium. There is a bias adjust pot inside which I set at 4.6 volts. It does clean up with your volume on about 1 or 2, other than that it is semi clean and you do get a edge on the sound. 7 ,8,9 you are pretty heavy, on 10 you get a lot of compression and the sustain is very long. There is also a dark version of this which has a extra added output capacitor to let some more lows through.
1.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

DOD 250 OVERDRIVE/PREAMP

This is a Dod 250 overdrive clone. Genuine 741 IC. These are almost the same as a MXR dist+ with a few changes. They do sound a little bit different. Louder than the DIST+ but not as heavy, i'm guessing this would overdrive a amp more if needed, you can always turn it down and use just the boost with a bit of mids and some note clarity.

Other drop in IC's are available if you want a socket added. Will list my stock of IC options once I get home.
EDIT: have 6 finished with various IC's.
UA741 factory stock chip
LM741 factory stock chip
TL081
TLE2021
LF353
RCA CA741
2.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

DIST+

This is a clone of the famous MXR dist +. Used by everybody from Randy Rhoads Grateful Dead, Iron Maiden, to Radiohead.

Once you hear the sound you will know it was used on many records back in the day. Very similar (same family)to the DOD 250/ Ross distortion yet uses germanium diodes for a bit earlier clipping. The LM741 IC and germanium diodes are old original parts, not the so called germanium being sold today. Other drop in IC's are available if you want a socket added. List my stock of IC options, quantities of some are limited but other i may have 50.
UA741
LM741 stock chip
TL081
TLE2021
LF353
RCA CA741
3.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

FUZZ FACE with 2SB54

Fuzz face clone with stable Japanese 2sb54 transistors. Not quite high gain but would say medium-high. Cleans up nice with your guitar volume. Added input impedance control tames humbuckers and makes it wah friendly.
Added switch chooses gain and emitter resistor/ capacitor for some tonal options.
4.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

T59248 FUZZ

These are the transistors used in the Lovepedal BBB that people don't want to part with. T59248 made by Raytheon in 1964. Fuzz face clone with a few touches. Going to call this high gain but cleans up nice with your guitar volume. Added input impedance control tames humbuckers and makes it wah friendly.
Added switch chooses gain and emitter resistor/ capacitor for some tonal options.

5.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

2N2924 FUZZ

This here is a medium to low gain fuzz with silicon transistors, power jack on the back and it is compatible with your current power supply no problems. These transistors were once used in old Vox Wah's and a few other circuits such as the Vox treble, distortion boosters, these are old stock in the TO-98 package. I do have a bunch of these transistors and actually more on the way. There is a 1uf film capacitor on the input (ala analogman style) and the fuzz cap is a 10uf instead of the stock 22uf, a tiny little bit less woof. Output cap is increased to .047uf. This will start to clean up on about 8 on your volume.
Added input impedence control tames humbuckers and makes it wah friendly.
6.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

MOSRITE FUZZ

Copy of the old Mosrite fuzz, old as in the first germanium version. These pedals are nasty, you have 2 transistors connected to a volume pot so you get this nasty sound which is partly out of phase and you can control it. Think of the Ventures 2000 lb bee, Inna Godda DaVida. I have some more transistors to try in this puppy so there will be a few versions.
7.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

SHIN -EI FY-2 FUZZ

This is the first version of the Japanese Shin -ei fuzz pedal. Was sold under a few different names. This pedal is loud. They take the output direct off the transistor, you can really push a amp with this if needed. I use the original 2SB56 transistors, others selling this use some other number transistor, why? i do not know, you can get these transistors and i have a few hundred. Taken from Wikipedia
Notable musicians who have used the FY-2 include:

Colin Greenwood of Radiohead, who used the pedal on "Exit Music (For a Film)" from the album OK Computer, and on "Myxomatosis" from Hail to the Thief.
Graham Coxon
Dan Auerbach
Stephen Morris of Joy Division and New Order
Ross Knight of Cosmic Psychos
Nick Tyler of Driveblind
Andrew Wilson of Die! Die! Die!
Christian Bland of The Black Angels
Ian Chestnutt of Percolator and Art Slug
Kevin Bayly of The Dance Party
William Reid of The Jesus and Mary Chain
8.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

Here are a bunch of 1 off's, will go into details later. The enclosures were kind of hard to find. I painted them and baked in a oven. Though i thought it was fine, the paint comes off and scratches and scuffs easy. Gives it that worn look and i didn't even try. Most of these or all are point to point inside with full sized caps and pots and large resistors. Will break it down on the details of each one.
9.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

These are, i don't know, barely labeled, I'm going to have to go through these also and see exactly what i built inside, looks like a few muffs, there were Supa tonebenders, vox tonebenders, a few boosters, a few octavias (might not be shown). There are more, mis-drilled holes, added switches etc.
10.jpg
AGF refugee
tobijohn
Reactions:

A suggestion and a question:

Suggestion: Adding the name of the pedal as a caption above its picture in addition to the description will probably make things easier to follow if/when someone "quotes" an individual one for more spec/price info (it's difficult reading the names of some of them in the pictures);

Question: Will you be winding and offering pickups?
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
mozz
Reactions:

Yes, going to name each pedal in the pictures. Pickups i have made will be offered too. Strat single coils i can do. Humbuckers i have only enough parts for a few sets. I'm trying to source p90 parts currently but the slow shipping is really a pain.
AGF refugee
aullucci
Reactions:

Very nice. Following with interest...
toomanycats
Reactions:

Here are my sound demos of some of Mozz's fuzz pedals.

FUZZ TONE. "Fuzz Face" clone. Raytheon T59248 germanium transistors as used in the Lovepedal BBB and a few others. Cleans up well with the guitar volume control. Capacitor changes ala Analogman.

MOZZRITE GERMANIUM. Early 60s style Mossrite fuzz clone.

FY-2 SHIN EI. Original Japanese 2SB56 transistors.

I could go on and on about how awesome they sound with both a Les Paul and a Strat, but the tones speak for themselves.

My video of Mozz's FUZZ TONE used as a clean boost:

“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
mozz
Reactions:

2N2270 CLASSIC FUZZ SILICON

Slightly more gain than the 2N2924 version, more compression if you have everything dimed. Uses all classic resistor and capacitor values except a 1uf input cap (ala analogman).
11.jpg
This is another variety i just found, Silicon fuzz with 2N2270 npn TO-5 can transistors. Classic fuzz, classic sustain. These were a mild fuzz without going too far overboard with the woof and compression. Cleans up nice with your guitar volume but not until 6 on your vol. You can adjust the fuzz or input control to get it to clean up wherever you want. Added input impedence control tames humbuckers and makes it wah friendly. Uses your regular neg tip power supply and will daisy chain nice. Claws are out for this one.
AGF refugee
golem
Reactions:

@mozz I'd be game to buy a 250 clone and a distortion+ clone whenever you're operational. I quite honestly don't know much about ICs though so when you mention all of those it's like greek to me.
mozz
Reactions:

Well the story is the same with a lot of pedal manufacturers. When you run out of 1 part, use what you have on hand. From what i read, the MXR dist+ mostly used a LM741 chip. DOD 250 used a LM741 but also a UA741 chip and also used 2 or 3 others depending on the year. Usually the first 2 letters signify who made it. The DOD pedal is mostly the same but has 3 different resistors and the clipping diodes are different. It is gonna sound different but same family. The ROSS distortion was also in the same family. I do have a few of each already built.
AGF refugee
Partscaster
Reactions:

Im interested in

1) the T59248 fuzz.
2) Silicon fuzz with 2N2270 npn TO-5 can transistors

all to be used with Voodoo Lab type power supply.
Build any zero point thru flangers?
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
aullucci
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:13 am Here are my sound demos of some of Mozz's fuzz pedals.

FUZZ TONE. "Fuzz Face" clone. Raytheon T59248 germanium transistors as used in the Lovepedal BBB and a few others. Cleans up well with the guitar volume control. Capacitor changes ala Analogman.

MOZZRITE GERMANIUM. Early 60s style Mossrite fuzz clone.

FY-2 SHIN EI. Original Japanese 2SB56 transistors.

I could go on and on about how awesome they sound with both a Les Paul and a Strat, but the tones speak for themselves.

My video of Mozz's FUZZ TONE used as a clean boost:

Thanks for posting these. I’ve been smitten with tonebenders for a while now. But that mozzrite sounded GREAT. My favorite kind of decisions...
mozz
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:05 pm Im interested in

1) the T59248 fuzz.
2) Silicon fuzz with 2N2270 npn TO-5 can transistors

all to be used with Voodoo Lab type power supply.
Build any zero point thru flangers?
Updated the description a little based on me playing through the 2N2270 and 2N2924 today. 2270 i named the classic fuzz because i used all the stock values except a 1uf input cap, and is a bit higher gain than the 2924. Think band of Gypsies. Also the 2924 i used a 1uf (ala analogman) film cap which Toomanycats described in the T59248 as a little bit hi-fi, just a better quality cap at the input and that to me would let more of your guitar pickups and picking shine through.

Voodoo labs seems to specify they are isolated power out jacks and i believe them.

No flangers, phasers or delays but i do have used ones i may put up for sale in the future. I have 2 circuit boards for the MXR blue box i am in the middle of building but don't know if i will offer these on a regular basis. Also working on the DAM meathead version of fuzz which is just a 1 knob fuzz with parts value changes. Also in the future MXR micro amp which is just the dist+ with no clipping and more a full range boost, same circuit board builds both.
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

This is what the Rangemaster pedal version will be like, 3 position tonal switch. Bias adjustment inside if you like to tweak.
20210621_204016.jpg
AGF refugee
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

<bump>

@golem let me try Mozz's '250 OD' and Distortion +. Both were true to the 'grail' of each circuit.

I could never get the 250 to work with my set-ups, but the Distortion + sounds phenomenal goosing a Plexi.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
golem
Reactions:

@andrewsrea I just got @mozz Rangemaster. I'm going to be honest that the vintage setup kind of confuses me. I'll bring it by next time!
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

@mozz : @golem and I hooked up and ran the Rangemaster. Sounded good goosing a Plexi. What kind of transistors did you use?

Sounded germanium.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob