MOZZ's pedals for sale thread

mozz
Reactions:

Pretty sure it was a old germanium Motorola, gain was almost exactly 100. I do have a few original transistors such as OC44, OC45, OC71. I take measurements from these and find something close and make sure the bias voltage is close. You can match gain and leakage but there are other parameters such as VF (forward voltage) and junction capacitance , i really need to save up $1000 and buy a older HP semiconductor analyzer.

I've been putting this along with the pedal versions i am selling.
RANGEMASTER
Originally designed as a treble booster, not a pedal to be switched in and out. To use it properly you need to adjust your amp pretty dark , such as a old dark Vox before the top boost. But we know that won’t happen, therefore the 3 position switch. Center is normal, it’s bright, really bright. Switch to the right is a added input capacitor, much better sounding, to the left is almost a full boost which is usually where you are gonna be. You need to turn the top power switch on before use, there is no switching when you plug the input jack in so remember to turn off the pedal or your battery is gonna be dead. There is a internal bias control which I set at 6.8 volts on the collector of the transistor. This is no where as critical as in a fuzz face. Turning clockwise brings the voltage down.
AGF refugee
aullucci
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:21 pm Pretty sure it was a old germanium Motorola, gain was almost exactly 100. I do have a few original transistors such as OC44, OC45, OC71. I take measurements from these and find something close and make sure the bias voltage is close. You can match gain and leakage but there are other parameters such as VF (forward voltage) and junction capacitance , i really need to save up $1000 and buy a older HP semiconductor analyzer.

I've been putting this along with the pedal versions i am selling.
RANGEMASTER
Originally designed as a treble booster, not a pedal to be switched in and out. To use it properly you need to adjust your amp pretty dark , such as a old dark Vox before the top boost. But we know that won’t happen, therefore the 3 position switch. Center is normal, it’s bright, really bright. Switch to the right is a added input capacitor, much better sounding, to the left is almost a full boost which is usually where you are gonna be. You need to turn the top power switch on before use, there is no switching when you plug the input jack in so remember to turn off the pedal or your battery is gonna be dead. There is a internal bias control which I set at 6.8 volts on the collector of the transistor. This is no where as critical as in a fuzz face. Turning clockwise brings the voltage down.
I spent another hour and a half or so today with the Rangemaster and wanted to add some of my thoughts. I played it briefly last week - just my AL2K (PAF style pickups with 4-way "Jimmy Page" wiring) through the Rangemaster into my Monoprice 5W. Today, I played the AL2K again, but with the Rangemaster into a Chicago Stompworks Blooze Maker (BluesBreaker pedal style overdrive) and a Mosky OCD knockoff, into a Presonus interface, into Studio One (when I was playing the pedal by itself, I was using a Tweed amp model with the gain set very low, with a noise gate in front and a little reverb). I also played my Gretsch 5622 semi-hollow (stock Broadtron pickups) with the same setup.

This thing is much more like an overdrive pedal than a boost pedal, IMO. Boosting an otherwise clean tube amp, it adds nice grit. Boosting a semi-dirty tube amp, it's your lead boost.

It was pickier with the pedals. It did NOT like the Blooze Maker. I don't know if it's just mine, or if it reflects something in one of the circuits, but the combination produced a really annoying hum/hiss that I could not zero out. Now, I was using this through my interface, so I don't know how the combo would sound through an amp. The tone was solid, but unless I backed the gain down on the Blooze Maker below about 10 o'clock, the hiss made me crazy. The OCD was much better, noise-wise. It was not dead silent, but even at higher gain the added noise from the Rangemaster was very subtle and not enough to bother me. I like to use the OCD set sort-of mid gain, I think it does a good Marshall impression. The Rangemaster out in front of that was exactly what I was hoping it would sound like. Very much like boosting a semi-dirty tube amp, the Rangemaster just instantly creates a great lead sound with the OCD set kinda dirty.

I wanted to play the Gretsch because @mozz mentioned the pedal can be very bright and the Gretsch is easily my brightest guitar. I wanted to see where it would go... As said, the three position switch makes a big difference to my ears. The middle position is the brightest and with the Gretsch immediately had me playing with the EQ on the amp model. I didn't think either of the other two settings were too trebly at all. I actually preferred the switch to the right with the Gretsch. To the left actually seemed to make the distorted tone a little too bass-heavy. It would have sounded awesome if I had been playing something with a little more doom in it, but that's not my typical jam...

When I added drum, bass and rhythm tracks in Studio One, the pedal really shone. I used a Plexi model, set to medium gain for the rhythm part and used the same setting boosted with the Rangemaster for the lead. All three settings on the switch sounded good - using the middle setting with the boost rolled down to 2-3 o'clock, it was still a little trebly but it also had this pretty awesome Sabbath thing happening. With the switch to the left and the boost dimed, it was really trying to do the doom thing and it sounded good. To the right was just right for me, though. It took off enough of the high end so that I could dime the boost and crush the front of the Marshall model. Classic rock. All. Day. Long.

For a pedal with one knob and one switch, I feel like I still have a tremendous amount of exploring to do. My AL2K splits, and I split it, but I haven't played the pedal with any true single coil guitars yet. And I haven't played it with any fuzz yet - I have a feeling the fuzz combination is either going to be glorious bliss or just awful, awful noise. There's not going to be an in-between I suspect. Can't wait!
jtcnj
Reactions:

@aullucci ll Glad the Rangemaster is working out for you.

I tried mine with no other pedals, tube amp cleanish, to more dirty, to dirty. I adjusted the amp darker, and left the pedal on mostly.
Tele / single coils and PAF type humbuckers. Several hours over 3 evenings.

I tried the 3 switch positions, the Level / gain pot put a LOT of gain into the signal.
I really couldnt go to or past noon or it was completely overpowering with its own tone. No way I could use it full on or 3:00.

I just couldnt get the amp + boosted punch i hear in demos or records.
Not expecting their tone, but my amp with the added punch with some bass cut I was expecting.

It must just be me, but from how you describe using the Level pot, maybe the one I got was more gainy, or reacts differently somehow?

Anyway, I messaged @mozz and he agreed to take a return and I agreed to pay the return shipping.
The pedal is well built and I would not hesitate to buy from mozz.
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
aullucci
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:08 pm @aullucci ll Glad the Rangemaster is working out for you.

I tried mine with no other pedals, tube amp cleanish, to more dirty, to dirty. I adjusted the amp darker, and left the pedal on mostly.
Tele / single coils and PAF type humbuckers. Several hours over 3 evenings.

I tried the 3 switch positions, the Level / gain pot put a LOT of gain into the signal.
I really couldnt go to or past noon or it was completely overpowering with its own tone. No way I could use it full on or 3:00.

I just couldnt get the amp + boosted punch i hear in demos or records.
Not expecting their tone, but my amp with the added punch with some bass cut I was expecting.

It must just be me, but from how you describe using the Level pot, maybe the one I got was more gainy, or reacts differently somehow?

Anyway, I messaged @mozz and he agreed to take a return and I agreed to pay the return shipping.
The pedal is well built and I would not hesitate to buy from mozz.
Sorry it isn't working out quite as well for you. What's your amp? And with germanium transistors, who knows? Maybe I got a less gainy one, or you got a more gainy one? Germanium is notoriously picky and doesn't play well with everything.

Also, I really do think 'boost' is a misnomer for this pedal. It's a drive pedal. It adds its own tone for sure. It's the exact opposite of my old Soul Food pedal - that was called an overdrive but was much more of a clean boost to my ears. The Rangemaster is more drive than boost if you ask me... With the level knob lower, it's somewhat more transparent, but with the boost up, it's doing its own thing. It's not 'your guitar but louder' like a traditional boost. Glad to hear you worked it out with mozz tho.
mozz
Reactions:

Now listing stuff on reverb. Could be pedals, pickups and other stuff.
https://reverb.com/shop/pocono-electronics
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

Some feedback coming in.

Hey I really like this Fuzz Pedal.Ive gone
through many in 46 years that don't sound good.
You described it very accurately.
Sounds great and cleans up nice
with guitar volume. I appreciate
your work.
Many Thanks
Miles

miles's Shop Nov 20, 2021 11:20 PM

Houzetone rangemaster treble booster clone 2021 white

Great sounding treble booster. Loud with no noise, which is a challenge on these vintage high gain designs. Excellent customer service too. They fully back their product. Low prices, great sound, and great features. I love it!

September 07, 2021 by Matt's Official Reverb Shop

Houzetone rangemaster treble booster clone 2021 white

absolutely fantastic. first of all the pedal sounds great. the price was amazing. solid construction. and extra features with the toggle switch make it more than for just dark marshalls and voxs.

super fast shipping as well. wont be my last houzetone.

August 21, 2021 by Zachary 's Gear Bazaar
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

New design, well old design as usual but in a new case. Old case actually, old transistors, old capacitors. That mojo alone should be worth it. I'll call it the Western electric fuzz. Transistors are genuine real Western Electric 70's date coded. Kind of medium gain, not too too fuzzy but there is some dark tones all the way up. Humbuckers might be a bit darker but clean up well also. There is only a volume control, which is all you need, cleans up with your guitar volume, as it should. Output capacitor is also genuine Western Electric. Case is repurposed from Western Electric telecommunications equipment, there are even extra holes with stamped descriptions scattered about. Works on any standard Boss type power (neg tip) and can be daisy chained with other pedals. LED. For sale, included is the latest inflation increase ! $60. shipped. There should be about 5 of these, maybe a few more if i can put together enough parts.
20220515_152626.jpg
20220515_160939.jpg
AGF refugee
mozz
Reactions:

Extent of my graphic ability, stickers from china.
bee fuzz.jpg
AGF refugee
artandsoul
Reactions:
Gearlist: sx callisto cus ds tobacco quilt, A2 probuckers.
sx hawk car p90 all stock.
agile al3200 purple black quilt, all stock.
jet city 50w 6l6 warren hanes mod
jet city 100w ltd el34 warren hanes mod
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr fuzz" green muff clone"
412 eminence swamp thang 600watts in egnater cabinet

So are there utube videos of this new western electric fuzz? Ive owned right about 40 fuzz pedals u name it probably owned it. I currently use the big knob colour jumbo 1974 tonebender fuzz I use it the most due to its clean sound and cleaner low end with d standard tuning, and a black arts toneworks lstr fuzz sounds like a green russian clone can get clean to real trashy if needed. only other fuzz i own is the behringer super fuzz the fz2 clone for the electic wizard sound
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao