Trade Drama Got me confused and frustrated

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
golem
Reactions:

@andrewsrea knows what's up. I traded to get a Rickenbacker bass. He's seen it, did a truss rod adjustment, and helped me with the frets. I promise you Rob knows his sh*t and it was good. He literally has the same bass on long term load for a friend. So even though these basses are tricky to adjust, I 100% guarantee you it was good when it left my house.

I don't play bass that much so I traded on a big forum it for a somewhat beat up, but definitely uncommon PRS Artist with a beautiful one piece burl top. Dude tells me today after he's had it two days that he shipped it to San Diego because it has a twisted neck. To be fair, the picture he shows me does suggest exactly what he says. If you traded me for a $3K bass and it wasn't as described, would you not just ask me to send back the guitar you traded? I'm sitting here not even knowing what to tell the guy. He tells me this shop has a backlog of months. I don't want to hear 3 months from now that they couldn't fix whatever happened to it and now he wants his guitar back. People are weird. In some ways he sounds far too chill, but chill to point of WTF. I want to do right by people and keep them satisfied, but I don't want to wait months to resolve a situation like this. This doesn't even seem rational.

I doubt he's a member of this small forum and I'm just venting because I don't even know what to say to the guy. I'm wondering if the guy might've adjusted it himself and screwed it up. This model is notorious for being hard to adjust.

My bad for playing the trade on a big forum gamble. This might be the last time I play that game.

Update: He left me negative feedback about 3 months after the initial deal without updating me on the situation. Didn't even talk to me about or anything (he has my #).
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Boy, this is a tricky one. I completely agree with your sentiments.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

I agree it sounds like odd behavior. If I have an issue with gear that might end in asking for a refund, I won't even open it up, let alone ship it anywhere to be worked on.
golem
Reactions:

Still sitting here annoyed and confused. Not even sure what I can say to a person like that.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

So he is not making any demand for swapping back? He just sent it off for "repair" or "adjustment"? You can always undo the deal, I would not get too worked up about it now. Let us know how it plays out.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
bc rich
Reactions:

Do you know who has the guitar in San Diego ? Would it be reasonable to ask.
golem
Reactions:

bc rich wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:17 am Do you know who has the guitar in San Diego ? Would it be reasonable to ask.
https://topgearguitar.com/
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

That is a bummer for sure. Although if he took the initiative to send it to a shop ( vs just asking to undo the trade ) that would tell me he's serious about the bass. I'd call the shop and ask them for their $.02 on the state of the neck.

While it's probably not the first thing on your "to do" list, how about some pRon of the PRS? Sounds like a cool guitar!
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
Partscaster
Reactions:

IMO, and you might want to check in with trade forum admin, ...when the guy sent it out to a repair shop, instead of first contacting you about issue and/or returning the trade, he finalized the trade.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
golem
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:33 am IMO, and you might want to check in with trade forum admin, ...when the guy sent it out to a repair shop, instead of first contacting you about issue and/or returning the trade, he finalized the trade.
It's on The Gear Page. I don't think they administer it like that.
golem
Reactions:

Still waiting on him. He claims the shop took a quick look at and it is twisted and then they'll be able to look at it in 3 weeks.
What kind of person thinks "I traded a guitar and it looks like the neck has a twist. Instead of talking to the person I got it in trade from I'll ship it off to another state where I know they have a long backlog and won't hear back for for up to 2-3 months". Even if everything turns out well with this trade, I'm going to make absolutely sure I never have to deal with him again. Who even acts like that was a rational course of action?
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Weird. Keep us posted.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Man this deal is getting drawn out. Let us know what happens, if it ever does.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

First, Chandler (@golem ), I commend you for your integrity and wanting to keep a spotless reputation. As @Partscaster said, the moment a buyer recognizes the item isn't as described and chooses not to send it back fora refund - the item is theirs and they lose all rights to bellyache about the deal, or infer a blemish on your reputation.

That said, I had it confirmed with my best friend in PA who has seven or more Rickenbacker basses which five are rooted in the V63 '4001' design (the one on my wall is from Rickenbacker's John Hall, himself). They all have necks which ARE NOT on the same plane as the body. Unlike most guitars where the center (top point of the crown) of the fretboard radius is centered with the top of the body, 4001 basses are asymmetrically skewed to the floor when holding them or skewed right when looking down the sight line towards the nut. So in relation to the body plane, the neck is about 5 to 7 degrees right, or if you put a protractor on the deck of the body, about 83 degrees (where a standard guitar would be 90 degrees).

My neighbor Bill who had a 4002 during the 70's also confirmed.

They have two truss rods about 1/2" apart to remedy twists and allow for thinner depth necks. Since that guitar had noticeable fret spouts, I checked for twist and was very judicious with ensuring proper torque between the two truss rods. When I handed that over to you, that neck alignment was picture perfect (also confirmed by Bill who played it for an hour at my house when he was considering buying it). It would have had to have been exposed to humid mist or dunked in water to have twisted in transit.

If this guy ever disses you on that forum, I personally will get an account and let him know this is all about him.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
golem
Reactions:

Update: He left me negative feedback on The Gear Page yesterday at 4:30 PM. It's slightly less than 3 months since the transaction. He has my cell phone number and never called me about it or texted me an update so I can only assume the shop probably got back to him yesterday and told him something he didn't like.

I don't want to blast him on TGP, but people I've bought/sold/traded things with here want to help me bump my stats by recreating real transactions we've done in the past I would not complain. Honestly a lot of the people who I have transactions with aren't on here much anymore.

James isn't, John isn't, Ziggle I have never seen on this forum, Chad is never on here anymore, Solarpimp I've bought several guitars from.
Rob I've done tons of business with obviously.
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

golem wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:14 pm Update: He left me negative feedback on The Gear Page yesterday at 4:30 PM. It's slightly less than 3 months since the transaction. He has my cell phone number and never called me about it or texted me an update so I can only assume the shop probably got back to him yesterday and told him something he didn't like.

I don't want to blast him on TGP, but people I've bought/sold/traded things with here want to help me bump my stats by recreating real transactions we've done in the past I would not complain. Honestly a lot of the people who I have transactions with aren't on here much anymore.

James isn't, John isn't, Ziggle I have never seen on this forum, Chad is never on here anymore, Solarpimp I've bought several guitars from.
Rob I've done tons of business with obviously.
Albeit unfair, it is highly unlikely that anyone revers this person's opinion. He is taking out on you that he didn't: 1.) know that the Rickenbacker 4001 necks are purposefully installed skewed to the right compared to the body plane and, 2.) Didn't immediately return the bass. I hope you can cast his opinion to the wind and not let it bother you.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob