Has anyone sold to Chicago Music before? Ship before paid?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
solteroblues
Reactions:

So I thought I'd try Chicago Music Exchange's online buying program. I've been to the store 1 time, completely amazed at what they had, so I think they're trustworthy, I mean, they did start Reverb, right?

Anyway, they made an offer on my PRS, I accepted. But they want me to ship them the guitar before they pay me, said they need to inspect it first. Anyone else ever have any experiences with them like this?

Anyone else I'd avoid like the plague, but surely they won't try to scam me, right?
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I would trust them.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
solteroblues
Reactions:

tonebender wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:27 pm I would trust them.
I know, its just not how I expected the transaction to go. I went back to their website, but I can't find anything that says they do it that way.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

It does seem strange that, as Reverb, they'd never suggest anyone try to insist on such a thing. If they get it and it was damaged or otherwise not as described, I think they should have the same recourse as any other buyer. I agree that it seems like a double standard.

Maybe one of us should make an offer on one of their guitars and see if they're happy to wait until after we receive it and try it out before we pay for it...
honyock
Reactions:

I wish CME still owned/ran Reverb. It was so much better.

I'd trust a shop like CME to do the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
littlebadboy
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:09 pm I wish CME still owned/ran Reverb. It was so much better.

Oh! So that's why they were right across each other! I didn't know that!
honyock
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote:
honyock wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:09 pm I wish CME still owned/ran Reverb. It was so much better.

Oh! So that's why they were right across each other! I didn't know that!
Yeah, Etsy bought them in like 2019, removed all of the customer service benefits that Reverb was built upon and replaced them with bots and remote C.S. agents who have no clue about musical instruments (or so it seems based upon all of my interactions since the change)..., then jacked up the costs, added a bunch of pay to boost exposure things, and generally run it like eBay lite...

https://investors.etsy.com/press-releas ... fault.aspx

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.