My 3 Guitars That I Play the Most

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
NickintheStates
Reactions:

Hey all,

Been a long time since I've stalked these hallowed halls. I miss you guys! I'd like to say that by staying away I've managed to save money not impulse buying gear, but alas, that would make me a god damn liar. And we'll have none of that here! @Bubba Zanetti let me know he had heard from @tobijohn recently and I decided to stop on by when I had the chance and check in with you adorable miscreants.

Quick update. I still have too many guitars. Like storage locker too many. I don't record many YT videos these days as the kids keep me busy and work is a Sh$tshow so not a lot of free time. I am slowly getting a 90's cover band together and my skills have at least reached the level where I'm good enough to be second fiddle in the posse. We didn't travel during the covid years and I may or may not have gone a little too cork sniffer on the guitar goodies in that period. I'm prepping to reduce the herd a bit, but at the moment we're at a high water mark for quantity and quality. Good problems to have I guess. But here's the dealio. Even with a load of axes filling the barn, for the most part I only play these three guitars:
tempImageOOgVwf.gif
On the left is a MJT nicely relic'd whiskey burst Strat body with an All Parts neck that an eBay seller shoots thin skin nitro on and pre ages a bit. 11" radius for my Gibson loving hands turns out to be perfect for me. I may switch the bridge pickup to an aged covered Seth Lover Duncan one of these days, or I may not. Pickups are a loaded guard I got for a song with some Fender Custom shop 57's. Everything is complimented by aged hardware. Total cash outlay is about $800... There's a magic in this combo and I consider that one a steal.

On the right is a pine body telecaster body from NoMoonLaser on eBay. Thin (very thin, no gloss coat) nitro over 3 or 4 pieces of pine. Same neck profile all parts neck, this time in maple on maple tele format. Aged Slick pickups that I like but perhaps don't love. TBD there. Aged hardware abounds. I pick this up and play it unplugged every day. Very resonant. You can sometimes score these bodies for $60. All in for this guitar is ~$500. I will be keeping it forever but tempted to build a second one to hang onto until someone in my circle needs one in their life. Pine is soft and it easily collects scratches, dents, etc. I love it.

In the middle is an impulse buy I recently grabbed. It's a Gibson Custom shop 1960 VOS. It was used and came with some uber cork sniffer $1000 pickups that I can't remember the builder of. I got a great deal on it and will be moving some guitars to condense the collection a bit. Great guitar, does all the LP things well and the pickups are up there with some of my favorite LP sets. It's definitely a case of diminishing returns though as I love my standard issue LP Standard just about as much and they play and sound very similar. I've dabbled in Custom Shop before, and each time I've sold them on and kept my regular production standards (or traded back for them). We'll see what happens here but I do love this thing.

I play the Tele most (usually unplugged), followed by the LP and then the Strat. If it had a bridge hum bucker I recon I might play the Strat as much as the LP if not a little more. I'm usually playing through cool Fender Vibroverb re-issue with a shorty pedal board. I just love that fact that a couple of mongrels can hold their own with a guitar made with virgin forbidden woods, hand sculpted by Michelangelo himself, all rubbed down nightly with the best tone wool imaginable.
NickintheStates
Reactions:

Also, in the three years since my huge ass head photo on the side, most that that brown has gone grey (in the beard) or left he building (up top). Aging... it's a peach.

Here are a few more shots of my current threesome:
IMG_3976.jpeg
IMG_3977.jpeg
IMG_3978.jpeg
IMG_3979.jpeg
IMG_3980.jpeg
IMG_3981.jpeg
IMG_3982.jpg
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

Those look great. I think I'm the opposite - always embracing change. I keep playing different guitars every day because that seems to keep it interesting for me. It's kinda like a NGD when I grab a guitar I haven't played in weeks or so.
NickintheStates
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:20 pm Those look great. I think I'm the opposite - always embracing change. I keep playing different guitars every day because that seems to keep it interesting for me. It's kinda like a NGD when I grab a guitar I haven't played in weeks or so.
I hear you there. I had been doing that for a while myself, but kept coming back to basically these three with maybe a different LP swapping in once in a while.
bleys21
Reactions:

Love the look of that Tele, that's a beaut!
uwmcscott
Reactions:
Gearlist: A few LP's, a Strat, a Tele and a few acoustics.

Hey welcome back Nick! I actually ran across some of your YT content the other day and remembered the days when you were posting a lot of it here with reviews of Harley Benton's and Agile's and all sorts of other things. That looks like a great trio of guitars to get you lots of different sounds, I am partial to the Gibson myself but they are all really nice looking. Traffic ebbs and flows around here, myself included - hoping we will see more of you in AGF land though as your content was always good and insightful.
AGF Survivor Champ Emeritus (Ask TVVoodoo )
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Glad to see you back - miss the videos on YT, but your priorities are correct IMHO. I hope your daughter has cleared her medical issues and is leading her best life.

I am doing a 'by-request, ground up' AMI amp build that I am thinking on starting a YT video diary on and may be PM'ing you for tips. I am a total hack with videos.

Your prime line up is very cool and probably all anyone would ever need. I especially like the pine tele, which is on my agenda when I clear out some projects and sell a couple guitars. I have a Tele pickup recipe that are spectacular in pine bodies, which I want to use.

Cool news on your cover band! Keep us posted.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
tobijohn
Reactions:

NickintheStates wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:57 pm Also, in the three years since my huge ass head photo on the side, most that that brown has gone grey (in the beard) or left he building (up top). Aging... it's a peach.
It's good to hear from you, and don't be such a stranger. As for the greying thing, mine started years ago but I had it regularly colored. During Covid, I realized I wasn't fooling anyone and quit. Besides it was money that could've gone towards gear. I know all about thinning too, I used to only be able to only double up a hair tie for a ponytail, now three loops are no problem...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

Welcome back Nick
Hope your daughter is doing well
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

Those three pretty much cover all the territory out there. At one time this was my favorite trio. Now I only have two of them.
IMG_2876.JPG
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
toomanycats
Reactions:

As a high priest and ecclesiastical representative of AGF I hereby absolve you of lapsing from the faith and further declare your views to be free of all heresy.

In penance for staying away for so long you shall learn three Keith Richards riffs on the Tele, two Michael Bloomfield licks on the Les Paul, and the entire solo for "Sultans of Swing" on the Strat.

Peace be with you my brother.

Now @Bubba Zanetti, I'm gonna have to recommend for him for some serious time in purgatory if he don't get his azz back here real soon (purgatory being a place where that Agile Reaper guy is playing at max volume 24/7 while pink jimmy does cartwheels naked, and only prayers of intercession directed at Saint hbowner can shorten your stay).

trinity-after-rublev.jpg
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
littlebadboy
Reactions:

I only got 2, but 1 of them kind of like a 2-in-1 to me, so it kinda adds up to 3. It is a 7-string in multi-scaled 25.5-27. So, it's like a baritone with the matching scale length and a standard with the familiar scale length.

I used to have a few more, but I found it ridiculous maintaining guitars that I don't use. So, I streamlined to 2, each with different uses. One is a baritone and standard in one guitar, while the other is tuned to drop c.

GOC Material 7 Carved Top edition

PRS S2 Darth Paul Standard 22
Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:
Gearlist: Let's talk about my Eko's...

toomanycats wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:36 am As a high priest and ecclesiastical representative of AGF I hereby absolve you of lapsing from the faith and further declare your views to be free of all heresy.

In penance for staying away for so long you shall learn three Keith Richards riffs on the Tele, two Michael Bloomfield licks on the Les Paul, and the entire solo for "Sultans of Swing" on the Strat.

Peace be with you my brother.

Now @Bubba Zanetti, I'm gonna have to recommend for him for some serious time in purgatory if he don't get his azz back here real soon (purgatory being a place where that Agile Reaper guy is playing at max volume 24/7 while pink jimmy does cartwheels naked, and only prayers of intercession directed at Saint hbowner can shorten your stay).

trinity-after-rublev.jpg
Ok, you've pulled me back from the wilderness of "life happening". I will perform resolute contrition for my prodigal ways, but please post your masterpiece, "Lolth the Spider Queen" to aid in my penance of attending beach BBQ's with Swedish coeds.
In the Midnight Hour she Cried MoMoMo
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

NickintheStates wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:57 pm
Aging... it's a peach.
Think of it as relicing.
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson