Weirdest toggle switch placement in history

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
Gergo
Reactions:

FB_IMG_1591938978118.jpg
FB_IMG_1591938944458.jpg
1975 Epiphone "Olympic Custom" Made in Japan by Matsumoku, and only for the Japanese market
My playing is always better after some good beer
toomanycats
Reactions:

I'm trying rationalize the possible justification for that design selection.

The way the edge of the body is routed likely prevented them from putting the output jack there, so that had to be placed at the top.

Where they did put the output jack is where the toggle usually is on a guitar configured like this. Look at most PRS guitars as an example.

They could have put the toggle on the upper bout, like on a Les Paul, but maybe they didn't want to add another step in production by making an additional rout in the body.

So somebody came up with the novel idea of putting it between the strings and between the bridge and tailpiece. While I salute their pragmatic approach, I've gotta say that aesthetically is just doesn't work of me. While it's completely functional, it's not an elegant solution. I can imagine many other options that I'd have preferred, like a mini toggle between the volume and tone knobs, or a slider switch in the same location, or putting the toggle on the lower horn (Explorer placement).
“There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life: Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer
Gergo
Reactions:

toomanycats wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:24 am I'm trying rationalize the possible justification for that design selection.

The way the edge of the body is routed likely prevented them from putting the output jack there, so that had to be placed at the top.

Where they did put the output jack is where the toggle usually is on a guitar configured like this. Look at most PRS guitars as an example.

They could have put the toggle on the upper bout, like on a Les Paul, but maybe they didn't want to add another step in production by making an additional rout in the body.

So somebody came up with the novel idea of putting it between the strings and between the bridge and tailpiece. While I salute their pragmatic approach, I've gotta say that aesthetically is just doesn't work of me. While it's completely functional, it's not an elegant solution. I can imagine many other options that I'd have preferred, like a mini toggle between the volume and tone knobs, or a slider switch in the same location, or putting the toggle on the lower horn (Explorer placement).
Good points. To me, probably the upper horn would have made the most sense, but like you say, maybe they were trying to avoid the cost and time of another route. Maybe they could have moved the input jack back a hair and squeezed it in between that and the tone knob. Looks like if they wanted to put it on the lower horn they would just made a tiny route to the neck pickup cavity.
All in all, very weird placement, and it makes some of Rondo's ocassional wonky design decisions look great.
RiverDog
Reactions:

It's probably that the guitar didn't come with the Bigsby from the factory, but instead had a wrap-around bridge. Still an odd placement but at least makes a little more sense.
Aaron
---------------
"What is perfect pitch?"
"Perfect pitch is when you toss a banjo into the dumpster, it hits an accordion and they both break."
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

RiverDog wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:29 am It's probably that the guitar didn't come with the Bigsby from the factory, but instead had a wrap-around bridge. Still an odd placement but at least makes a little more sense.
Yup
image.png
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
fullonshred
Reactions:

LightWingStudios wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:06 pm
RiverDog wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:29 am It's probably that the guitar didn't come with the Bigsby from the factory, but instead had a wrap-around bridge. Still an odd placement but at least makes a little more sense.
Yup

image.png
It is probably a fine guitar, and the switch entirely fine as pictured here. I wouldn't even mind having one. The plateau style top is just not aesthetically pleasing to my eyes though, on any guitar I have seen it used. Either do a proper carved top, or leave it in the LP Jr style.
Gergo
Reactions:

That was discussed in the forum I saw this thread on, and everyone speculated that had to have been the case, but then someone came in and pointed out that the guitar was indeed offered with a wrap around bridge, or with a Bigsby option from the factory.
Mossman
Reactions:

There's really no excuse for that placement. There's plenty of room to position it near the volume and tone knobs. They could have even put the switch between the pots like on their LP and SG "Specials". Personally, I don't like that placement, either, but it's better than right behind the bridge.

Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO