I'm Back! Anybody Miss Me?? :-D

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:27 am
Tonray's Ghost wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:58 am
mickey wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:18 am

Sounds like the ideal place for growing grapefruit! Supposedly the less change between day/night temps the sweeter the grapefruit.
They don't seem to grow grapefruit here but a similar fruit Pomelo is very popular and avaliable everywhere...very sweet, a bit drier flesh than grapefuit...love it...I wonder if FLA also has it ?
Florida has it but Pomelo isn't anything like as common as grapefruit. If I remember correctly, grapefruit is the child of Pomelo, as in grapefruit was developed from Pomelo and has a lot less
pulp given similar weight for the fruit.
ha ha...we posted at exactly the same moment..yeah...you are correct...Grow some Pomelo...it's killer...start a farm
Mossman
Reactions:

honyock wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:06 am
Monsoon in southern AZ the best part of summer (basically mid-March until October most years...). We have had some non-soons (with almost no rain) and it sucks the joy out of the summer.

Hoping for another good one this year like the past 2, but with El Nino firmly setup that likely will not happen, unfortunately.

May and June just suck in general because I don't like to wake up at 5am to take advantage of the only cool weather of the day, other than that it is hard to fathom moving back to the midwest.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
March-October monsoon season? Yikes! That's definitely not what I experienced when I was living in Flagstaff... But this was about 20 years ago, on the Mogollon Plateau. The monsoon season started roughly about late July, and continued into September, now that I think about it.

In southern Arizona, a monsoon-less summer would ESPECIALLY suck! It never got nearly as hot in Flag. Occasionally, we'd see 100 degrees or so, but it was usually in the 85-90 range. But when I lived in the Vermilion Cliffs area, it got plenty hot in the summer. Usually above 100 on a regular basis in July and August, and I saw 114° for a couple of weeks. I was particularly grateful for monsoon season that summer, for the relief from the heat, and the fact that our sole source of water was runoff from the cliffs, which only flows twice a year. In the spring, when the snow melts, and during monsoon season.
Finally escaping the People's Republic of Kalifornia!

BANNED BY MOMO
honyock
Reactions:

Mossman wrote:
honyock wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:06 am
Monsoon in southern AZ the best part of summer (basically mid-March until October most years...). We have had some non-soons (with almost no rain) and it sucks the joy out of the summer.

Hoping for another good one this year like the past 2, but with El Nino firmly setup that likely will not happen, unfortunately.

May and June just suck in general because I don't like to wake up at 5am to take advantage of the only cool weather of the day, other than that it is hard to fathom moving back to the midwest.

March-October monsoon season? Yikes! That's definitely not what I experienced when I was living in Flagstaff... But this was about 20 years ago, on the Mogollon Plateau. The monsoon season started roughly about late July, and continued into September, now that I think about it.

In southern Arizona, a monsoon-less summer would ESPECIALLY suck! It never got nearly as hot in Flag. Occasionally, we'd see 100 degrees or so, but it was usually in the 85-90 range. But when I lived in the Vermilion Cliffs area, it got plenty hot in the summer. Usually above 100 on a regular basis in July and August, and I saw 114° for a couple of weeks. I was particularly grateful for monsoon season that summer, for the relief from the heat, and the fact that our sole source of water was runoff from the cliffs, which only flows twice a year. In the spring, when the snow melts, and during monsoon season.
Summer that long, not the monsoon

Monsoon now officially starts per NWS in June, ends in September, but the meteorological monsoon depends on the dew point, but it was apparently too confusing for people...

10 years, 2 months, and 8 days of blissful ignorance ruined by that snake in the grass Major Tom.
RayStankewitz
Reactions:

Glad to see you're back, Mossman! Having heard your plight, it makes me wish all the deserving people such as you could leave California for better places. I left there in 2018 to retire in Indiana.
I've watched those RV, Skoolie and van life people build their overbuilt toys, knowing just how much unnecessary weight they have added to their rigs. Back a few years, I built a 10' cabover camper, loosely based on the 70's style campers of the day. I was lucky to have a partially destroyed camper to dissect for hardware (sink, stove, back door, some windows, toilet, etc.) but I used a fair bit of ingenuity, building strong but light. 2X3 walls, glued & pocket screwed, filled with urethane glued styrofoam insulation. Everything had the glue/screw treatment, urethane sealer when the skins were applied, the whole schmoe. The whole thing dry, with a shower/toilet black and grey water tanks, 30 gallon freshwater tank (all empty) weighed a bit over 1,100 lbs. Way less than 1/2 the weight of a comparable Lance Camper. Also very quiet when going down the road, probably due to superior construction on my part.
Are you planning on staying in California, now that's you're mobile? I still have family and friends in the S.F. Bay Area so what I hear is the cities and police are getting downright hostile to the mobile workforce, particularly the east bay.
Anyway, good to hear you're back and getting your self physically and situationally in order. Take care!
"Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?"