Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Its Too Late Now!
Incoming:
Hawkmnmahp90carpack1.jpg
Hawkmnmahp90carpack1.jpg (9.9 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
hawkmnmahp90car4.jpg
hawkmnmahp90car5.jpg
hawkmnmahp90car5.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
I might even go with an HHH set up, as my recent googles of Fender Mahogany Strats have peaked my interest in that direction. Got some pickups in a drawer. Got a couple other necks to choose from should I feel the need. I've got one extra vintage spacing trem for MIM with full steel block just sitting in a drawer. So now I've got a project.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Partscaster
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:38 am
Partscaster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:20 am ...I'd get one of those for the CAR but it would just compete with my lower wind p90(lollar) Natural Hawk that is already a favorite for cleanishness. I dont need a fourth...?????
What about putting a set of mini-humbuckers in it then?
I'm just seeing this post,TBJ. It might be a most ideal thought. But I do already have a thinline strat 2x minihums that is awesome,
IMG_0066.jpg
and I have a drawer with two Pearly Gates, three Giovanni buckers ( gvh1, and gvh59 N and B,) ..plus a 9.5 ohm HB size P90.
I think I'll start with the PearlyGates set in N and B, and try the HB-P90 in middle as I might be able to set it a little lower as to reduce any strum hand interference, and it might get me some strat single coil tone on its own, and mix into 2 and 4 positions well. I can reshuffle these 3, or sub in the Giovanni's if needed. I just bought a HHH pickguard with "fall leaves" pattern to go with the candy apple red.
I remember how mixed metals affects you, "Hands in the air, running away down the hall.."
What you think of this? On that,...
leaves_2_hhh_11_hole.jpg
hawkmnmahp90car5.jpg
hawkmnmahp90car5.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Kinda brings a tear to an old New Englander's eye.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
glasshand
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:10 am I might even go with an HHH set up...
Just be aware that (if your Hawk is like mine) the routing is *not* a swimming pool rout or anything, but is very specific to those P-90s. So you're likely to have to break out the router...
Partscaster
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:28 pm
Partscaster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:10 am I might even go with an HHH set up...
Just be aware that (if your Hawk is like mine) the routing is *not* a swimming pool rout or anything, but is very specific to those P-90s. So you're likely to have to break out the router...
Thanks glasshand. And luckily I have one.
Im trying to remember if I routed out trem block cavity on the other Hawk P90s in order to give swing room to full size block.
artandsoul
Reactions:
Gearlist: sx callisto cus ds tobacco quilt, A2 probuckers.
sx hawk car p90 all stock.
agile al3200 purple black quilt, all stock.
jet city 50w 6l6 warren hanes mod
jet city 100w ltd el34 warren hanes mod
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr fuzz" green muff clone"
412 eminence swamp thang 600watts in egnater cabinet

The callisto or the p90 hawk is a steal of a deal with decent 10w amp and crap bag, still havent threw in the leaner cd. It may be gooder than hell lol. The prices even in 2023 imo are cheap for the quality u get with sx callsitos. just wait 6 months they will be gone and most cheapo lps will go up and up and I feel this is the last cheap sx lp to exist and others like benton and even fireterd will raise prices like crazy after the new year. Im still telling myself no on the p90 hawk lol but maybe just maybe.
I routed some squires and sx hawks for the 3 p90 and the wood being so so slim in the middle due to the trem route out already it was very sketchy for p90 screw in body screws. they barely hold in wont do it again for sure. unless you do some threaded nuts inset into the wood then be fine.

tobijohn yes! Mini buckers are so nice love there sound wanting it still and would be great in the mah hawk or even the alder hawk 139.00 on sale now. If i didnt just drop 800 in metal forging stuff id buy both and mod them to death. If the rondo sale goes on long enough and i get some extra funds the p90 hawk will be mine.
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
artandsoul
Reactions:
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr fuzz" green muff clone"

Partscaster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:10 am Its Too Late Now
I might even go with an HHH set up, as my recent googles of Fender Mahogany Strats have peaked my interest in that direction. Got some pickups in a drawer. Got a couple other necks to choose from should I feel the need. I've got one extra vintage spacing trem for MIM with full steel block just sitting in a drawer. So now I've got a project.
Sorry I feel I gave you the sx gas lol, I havent had any in years till now seeing how sx is going away now. My gf would argue ive had gas for years just the free kind lol
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
artandsoul
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:20 am
artandsoul wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:06 pm sx callisto std with 10w amp, crappy bag and strap for under 220 shipped with tax on ebay crazy cheap and just had to have 1 of the last sx lps. Get em before there gone! cheaper on ebay than reverb or rondo. It was def worked on had fingerprints on it and its perfect no buzz lowwww action and looks like a 3k gibson top another win for sx callisto best bang for your buck still imo.
I wonder if the neck tenon and the body wood appear to be the same wood. Most of my Callisto STD+ came like the CUS which all had the asian "mahogany" neck, and they were very light @ 7lbs. They altered description text after about a year to say maple neck on STD+.

I like how you can save 20$ on the CAR P90 Hawk if you get it with the amp, bag, etc kit vs without the extras. I'd get one of those for the CAR but it would just compete with my lower wind p90(lollar) Natural Hawk that is already a favorite for cleanishness. I dont need a fourth...?????
F----K. I may have to get one. Even for resale purposes in a few years, mahogany strats will likely be worth more than 159$ + shipping.
my sx callisto cus quilted is 6.7lbs was light and guitar just has no real body aka bass with probucker 2/3 pickups but clean is really nice, this new callisto is 8,8 lbs much better low end imo more like a real agile! I even ask rondo when i ordered to send me the heaviest one they had due to the light weight callisto cus i got before lol. He prob didnt but much better weight and low end with the stock pickups. Ill change the bridge out for alnico 2 I already have since i play in d standard mostly and I like bass.
dabbler
Reactions:

artandsoul wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:25 pm The callisto or the p90 hawk is a steal of a deal with decent 10w amp and crap bag, still havent threw in the leaner cd. It may be gooder than hell lol. The prices even in 2023 imo are cheap for the quality u get with sx callsitos. just wait 6 months they will be gone and most cheapo lps will go up and up and I feel this is the last cheap sx lp to exist and others like benton and even fireterd will raise prices like crazy after the new year. Im still telling ...
I love you guys, but you are all such GAS enablers! :lol:

FORTUNATELY, I will be able to resist this GAS attack because of my Agile neck-through AL-3000, my only 6 string flame top LP.

But I do agree about the value of the Callistos! I have a pair of black ones, a STD and CUS.
Partscaster
Reactions:

artandsoul wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:33 pm

Sorry I feel I gave you the sx gas lol,
You did. It was well asleep. But its that time to react or watch them go away.
Plus, that little amp might make a grungy vocal mic output for ambient vocal delay sounds or harmonica, etc. And the amp practically comes free and with a 20$ bill taped to it.

As for the MAH Hawks and p90 screws, my 3 bodies are all 1-3/4" thick (even though text says 1-5/8") and of course design is already for ample p90 screw depth.
Cheers. Mine shows up today. Barely enough time to go skiing.
Partscaster
Reactions:

Well, here is my CAR mahogany Hawk.
I gotta say, this body finish is far nicer in the hands than on website. I've never ordered a CAR SX guitar before. I just realize this, as
the finish is amazing. Not a flaw on it visible, anywhere. Real nice red, but what no Rondo pictures capture is the metallic fine-fleck paint finish. i had no idea, and love it.
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg
My pics dont do it justice either. The close-up gets it to a degree. It pops in real life.

Entire guitar weighs 6lbs, 13 oz. Tuned up well. Came with action at 5/64ths E, and 4/64ths e. Normal/low neck relef (didnt break out feeler gauges). No fret buzz anywhere. Nice neck. I still might put a 7.25 on, that I have available being unused. Body is 1-3/4 thick.
As weird as my pickguard "Leaves" choice was (pic in earlier post), I think that detailed photograph of fall foliage surrounded by this beautiful CAR is gonna look terrific. And 3 nickel humbucker size covers will look great. ( H-HP90-H). We'll see soon enough.
Plugged it into a tube champ. Sounds good like most SX P90s. Good and punchy, lows in neck pup are a hair muffled at open tone. I bet some slight pot/cap/pup and pole height tinkering could get the sound good in both of these pups. Is a loud player unplugged. Good vibs running through body.

Little amp looks fine. Its still cold so havent plugged it in with the guitar. Its got a gain button, and 3 BMT eq knobs, headphone jack which shuts off the speaker. 10W ss, and a 5.5" speaker. Its definitely worth the 20$ price reduction. I'll find some use for it.

EDIT: 12/12/23. little amp sounds okay, not good, but okay. Gain button goes directly into "shredded speaker cone" tone. Other than that, its worth the 20$ reduced guitar price.

Still waiting on leaf motif PG to show up for guitar, from Canada/Nova Scotia??? than I can build the HHH.
dabbler
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:34 pm ...
I gotta say, this body finish is far nicer in the hands than on website. I've never ordered a CAR SX guitar before. I just realize this, as
the finish is amazing. Not a flaw on it visible, anywhere. Real nice red, but what no Rondo pictures capture is the metallic fine-fleck paint finish. i had no idea, and love it.
I agree! SX does a beautiful candy apple red AND lake placid blue... ask me how I KNOW! :D
Partscaster
Reactions:

Brother gave me a fuzz pedal for birthday present.

SolidGoldFX: If 6 was 9. modded fuzzface circuit.

[url]
golem
Reactions:

Trying to flip it only because I have an absurd amount of nice guitars. I do genuinely love PRS and this model but I enjoy buying, trading, and selling.
glasshand
Reactions:

This came up in the neighborhood for a reasonable price, and what's a guy supposed to do? It does cop a very reasonable "My Head's In Mississippi" tone without much tweaking...
PXL_20231215_235920533~2.jpg
EDIT: I just realized that the Lead 12 adheres to my theory of Marshalls, which is that the ones with fewer knobs are better. It's not a perfect or linear relationship - nobody thinks an MG15 is great just because it only has five knobs - but it's generally true. JTM45: six knobs; legendary. JCM 800: it depends on the exact model, but generally about 6 knobs; legendary. JCM 900: about eight knobs; famous. TSL 100: too damn many knobs to count; does anybody even care about these?
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I managed to sell a couple acoustics, a Tak New Yorker parlor and an Epi Masterbilt to fund a discounted Gibson G-Bird acoustic electric.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
SamIV
Reactions:

golem wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:46 pm Image

Trying to flip it only because I have an absurd amount of nice guitars. I do genuinely love PRS and this model but I enjoy buying, trading, and selling.
What model is it? I own a few and keep buying as well
golem
Reactions:

SamIV wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:23 pm
McCarty. This one had the tuners swapped for vintage locking (probably Gotoh). And the pickups are Seth Lovers. Both great upgrades for my tastes. I'm avoiding Reverb and just trying to sell/trade it locally.
SamIV
Reactions:

golem wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:54 pm
SamIV wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:23 pm
McCarty. This one had the tuners swapped for vintage locking (probably Gotoh). And the pickups are Seth Lovers. Both great upgrades for my tastes. I'm avoiding Reverb and just trying to sell/trade it locally.
Thanks for the reply. I owned one for about a week. Just could not handle the big neck on those. Lots of love out there for them though. My sissy hands can’t handle it. Good luck with your sale.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

My latest is a small one. My Yamaha Pacifica 1221 has been lacking something ever since I bought it -- a decent tremolo arm. As the bridge, a Yamaha RM Pro II, was one of those "let's improve the Floyd!!" designs, trem arms are basically only available from Frets on the Net, and after shipping, they are $50 sent to Canada. And you can't just swap anyhing in as it mounts inside the trem block. So, to add a Floyd collar and arm, you have to saw off that section of the block. Nope!

I took a calculated risk and bought a $6, 6mm bar off eBay. It fits in the hole, and even though it isn't technically long enough, it seems to hold its position well. It works!
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
voodoorat
Reactions:

ok i listed a few things and got a few trades.

traded my squier cv 60s jazzmaster for money plus an alvarez AC-60SC laminate cutaway:
image.png
i like it a lot as a little beater acoustic, might just keep it.

traded my cv jazz v for a mim black label fender p bass:
image.png
this one was pretty rough when i got it but i tweaked it and now i'm happy with it.

traded my yamaha pacifica for a peavey 6505mh:
image.png
never really gelled with the yamaha although it was a fine guitar, this is my first high gain tube amp. i've got a harley benton slant 2x12 cab loaded with vintage 30s to run it though.

also bought a few other things recently including a new pair of weber california series 12" aluminum dustcap 8 ohm speakers to put into the roland jc-120.

i also got a used set of sd pearly gates humbuckers and stuck them in my 2018 prs se zach myers:
image.png
glasshand
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:57 pm This came up in the neighborhood for a reasonable price, and what's a guy supposed to do? It does cop a very reasonable "My Head's In Mississippi" tone without much tweaking...

PXL_20231215_235920533~2.jpg
Followup: I took the Lead 12 to band practice last night, and ran it through an efficient 4x12 that our bassist owns. And it had the volume to hang with the band and the tone was pretty damn good too. Very impressive for a little 12-watt solid state head! Our bassist thinks I should try playing our next gig with it; I don't know if that's really going to work - it was almost dimed at practice and that was through a cab that we know is efficient, and I had no real headroom - but it's not 100% unrealistic.

It was interesting to note that the volume kept increasing smoothly all the way up to 10 on the dial with no real change in character; dunno whether that's typical of solid state amps, as my only other SS amp is way too much for me to dime (120 watts)! Also, I don't really play cleans in the band, but I tried it just for fun, and it was way better with the amp's gain turned up and the guitar's volume turned down than vice versa.
glasshand
Reactions:

Here's something a little different! Some friends and coworkers in Jordan sent me an oud! I've only gotten to handle an oud for a few minutes before; it's just enough like a guitar to trick you into thinking you can handle it, but you realize your overconfidence very quickly once it's in your hands. It's a little bit like a short-scale 12-string fretless guitar, if that makes any sense. Now I have to find an oud teacher - fortunately not that hard in NYC; if I were in Goat Rope, MO, I imagine it would be a little different.
PXL_20240111_154646848.MP.jpg
SamIV
Reactions:

Tried a couple PRS LP style guitars, but the necks are just too thick for my wimpy hands. This one is between Gibson 50’s and 60’s profile necks. It’s a Godin Summit.
IMG_1746.jpeg
golem
Reactions:

Image@solarpimp's Carvin:
golem
Reactions:

Setup fantastically. Not wild about what I assume are humbuckers in parallel using the 5 way. Otherwise far better than I ever expected a guitar in this price range used to be. Like legitimately if I picked this up used for $1K+ on quality alone I wouldn't be disappointed.

Nearly certain the wood is mahogany. It feels like it might be unfinished or just have the lightest tung oil finishes these things often came with. Absolutely stunning at any cost. If they cheaped out, it's not the stuff you notice while playing it initially.
Attachments
image.png
image.png