Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
voodoorat
Reactions:

Got a used Hot Rod Deluxe on used market for $350. Just got it yesterday, like it a lot. I have a BJr and a couple of Twins, never had an in-between one before. Sounds so much bigger than the BJr without being as huge as the Twins. I was a little worried it would be too loud but maybe because I'm used to the Twins it doesn't seem too crazy, or maybe they just suit me because I usually play amp clean-ish:
image.png
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

HNAD!

HRD is a great workhorse amp.

I loaned one of my AMI amps to a guy who was endorsed by Fender and Guild, while I did an emergency repair on his HRD (first edition) for a massive New Years gig he was doing in NYC. He didn't want to give my AMI amp back and kept it for 3 months making me promise to make his HRD sound like that. So I modified his amp. He took it to Fender, who called me to ask what I did and I sent them the changed schematic (I was also one of their warranty repair guys at the time). Little by little, I have seen those mods creep into each edition.

in as such, speaker is pretty important. The Fender #121042 that some of them came with, sounds tight and is useful for a variety of styles (a Chicago style speaker). My favorite would be a Weber 12F150 which is a slightly better version of a Jensen C12N and is sweeter and more woody sounding than the Fender speaker.

Aside from guitar pics, I haven't been buying. I've got a list in my head, one would be to build an extension cab for my 1964 Fender Vibroverb, which would look like it also came from 1964. I've been repairing so much that it alleviates any GAS related to wanting to try something.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
glasshand
Reactions:

Maybe not the most exciting gear acquisition ever, but I finally got a proper footswitch for my Orange. I'd been using a generic footswitch with no light, which was a pain because I couldn't look down and tell which channel I was in. Then this popped up on CL for a fair price and only about 15 minutes' bike ride away. Of course it started raining while I was heading over, but the seller was a really cool guy and we hung out in his foyer and talked music until the rain lightened up a bit.
PXL_20231009_143536146.jpg
voodoorat
Reactions:

So I've been trying to trade my Elite Stratocaster for a Gibson SG for a couple of months I think. Slow going though, so finally just bit the bullet and bought one. I wanted the '61 reissue one and this 2013 Standard popped up on the used market and I pulled the trigger.
image.png
I'm excited, have wanted one of these (more or less) for a while.
Rollin Hand
Reactions:

Please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4263
20231016_142753.jpg
"I'm not a sore loser. It's just that I prefer to win, and when I don't, I get furious."
- Ron Swanson
Mr. Leyvatone
Reactions:
Gearlist: 5 Agiles, 5 SX, assorted other guitars and gear.

glasshand wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:39 am Maybe not the most exciting gear acquisition ever, but I finally got a proper footswitch for my Orange. I'd been using a generic footswitch with no light, which was a pain because I couldn't look down and tell which channel I was in. Then this popped up on CL for a fair price and only about 15 minutes' bike ride away. Of course it started raining while I was heading over, but the seller was a really cool guy and we hung out in his foyer and talked music until the rain lightened up a bit.

PXL_20231009_143536146.jpg
Nice. I bought a two pack of those when I recently got my Rockerverb 50 combo. They are impressively built, but use a lot of pedalboard acreage. But I still need one more (you can control Channel, Reverb, and Attenuator with separate pedals).

I do love my RV50 more than my Mesa TC-50, but I'll give the Mesa credit for including a footswitch unit that does what three separate pedals are needed for on the RV (and does more, for that matter).

Otherwise, Orange for the win.
glasshand
Reactions:

Mr. Leyvatone wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:01 am Nice. I bought a two pack of those when I recently got my Rockerverb 50 combo. They are impressively built, but use a lot of pedalboard acreage. But I still need one more (you can control Channel, Reverb, and Attenuator with separate pedals).

I do love my RV50 more than my Mesa TC-50, but I'll give the Mesa credit for including a footswitch unit that does what three separate pedals are needed for on the RV (and does more, for that matter).

Otherwise, Orange for the win.
Orange also makes a mini footswitch, if that would be useful in taking up less pedalboard real estate: https://orangeamps.com/fs1-mini/
golem
Reactions:

Sonically it's closer to a Les Paul Custom than anything else, but weights 8lbs. The bridge pickup is a bit hot but mostly just has a really good bite. You can get lower gain tones from this guitar despite every demo of the Knaggs SSC being with a lot of distortion (because that's how Steve Stevens plays?).

I didn't buy it becomes I'm a fan of Steve. I had to be told who he was. Guitarist for Billy Idol but probably best known for the Top Gun Theme song.
It's just the nicest gold top I'd ever seen and I know these are lighter and have great upper fret access.

@andrewsrea this is stuff I bought from Mike.

This is just a killer device. It's really a Friedman amp in a box that you can connect to a computer, FRFR system, or PA. You could use it with a power amp using the FX send to bypass the IR and power amp modelling.

andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

golem wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:44 am

Aahh. I didn't recognize the name, but recall seeing some reviews. This sounds just like a mic'd up Freedman! Pete Thorn had a great demo.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
golem
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:58 am
golem wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:44 am

Aahh. I didn't recognize the name, but recall seeing some reviews. This sounds just like a mic'd up Freedman! Pete Thorn had a great demo.
It really does sound a lot like the Two Channel Friedman BE-100 I bought off Mike and no longer own. Maybe not exactly, but it's hard for me to say unless I had them in the same room with some guitars going through the same kind of speakers the IRs are emulating.

I can make it sound bad using a really bright guitar like my Porter (Wide Range pickup and an H90), but with everything I have that is darker it sounds fantastic.
voodoorat
Reactions:

I wound up with a Players Strat and a Players Tele that were both kinda redundant since I have other ones. So I traded for these.
image.png
It's a Yamaha Pacifica PAC611VFM and a Charvel Pro-Mod So-Cal Style 2 24 HT HH (what horrible names!). The Charvel especially is really out of place in my collection, I barely have any "modern" guitars. I'm excited to try something new.
voodoorat
Reactions:

After playing them for a few days and using them in a jam: The Yamaha PAC611 isn't bad but doesn't really scratch any itch. I'm shocked by how much I like the Charvel, both by the way the active pickups sound (and how much usable variety there is in the different pickup settings) and how smooth it feels to play.
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Arrived on Friday 10/27/23...

Nektar GXP88 Midi Controller. Inexpensive and was plug and play.

KILLER integration with Studio One 6.5. :)
Attachments
Nektar-88-Key-Midi-Controller.jpg
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
Partscaster
Reactions:

Kingsley Page TS: FOA boost/pre amp switchable option too.
Has a 12ax7 tube in it, and 3 knob EQ, gain, volume, high and low 3-way switches, and knob that can be modulate as to how much EQ section can be lifted out of circuit with "MORE" EQ-Lift stomp button.
Wow.

From just clean boost, to thicker than I'm used to. I havent tried a boost infront, or anything after, yet. But folks seem to like that a lot, too.

I've got its slot in the board all cleaned up for it with a Spark Booster right in front. Tonights practice it will be on its own, just like today at home. Very touch sensitive. Plenty of shaping, but not overwhelming...no diving into menu layers, etc. Just knobs and switches.
9b84db981dfb45d4f5b322c54c73f67d.jpg
mine has a different color box from another model before maker got these new shells in.

--------------------------------

I've had several hours with this tube-pedal on my board. It sounds very alive. Extra dimensionality of a pushed amp across my board with it on, and at lower volumes. Other pedals seem to sound improved in combination. I have one clean boost prior, and a few boost/ODs after. This will always be "on", has good amount of tone adjustments. Sounds great on its own, helps other pedals sound bigger, and at lower volumes. Edge of breakup "+" is plenty of od for me. Improves string touch. Love it. See vid of related Page pedal.

[url]
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
voodoorat
Reactions:

got this today on the local market. heritage h150 standard in dirty lemon burst.
image.png
it's not heavily flamed at all--i thought it was a plain top when i saw the listing because the figuring is so subtle. but i actually kinda like it that way
golem
Reactions:

voodoorat wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:08 pm got this today on the local market. heritage h150 standard in dirty lemon burst.

image.png

it's not heavily flamed at all--i thought it was a plain top when i saw the listing because the figuring is so subtle. but i actually kinda like it that way
There's one on my local CL for $1500 in a natural finish. I can't say I haven't been tempted.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

I sold almost all of my pedals - including this one. I just re-bought from Amazon. I've tried many Marshalls-in-a-box but the Joyo does the "thing" really well, I think. I must have bad ears or something because I've had some expensive ones (Wampler, Boss, Box of Rock) and none sounded as good to me - especially for the price.

61LO29eLATL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
voodoorat
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:10 pm I sold almost all of my pedals - including this one. I just re-bought from Amazon. I've tried many Marshalls-in-a-box but the Joyo does the "thing" really well, I think. I must have bad ears or something because I've had some expensive ones (Wampler, Boss, Box of Rock) and none sounded as good to me - especially for the price.

61LO29eLATL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
i have one of these coming today, i don't have any experience with marshalls really though. maybe i'll know if when i hear it, but how do you set it to get something convincing? i was going start by trying it just into the power amp stage of one of the fenders to see what it does.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

voodoorat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:51 pm
tlarson58 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:10 pm
i have one of these coming today, i don't have any experience with marshalls really though. maybe i'll know if when i hear it, but how do you set it to get something convincing? i was going start by trying it just into the power amp stage of one of the fenders to see what it does.
I run mine into my Princeton Reverb a bunch The lower middle voicing knob, when combined with the gain knob, offers a wide tonal palette. I tried running straight out to the PA once. meh.
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
glasshand
Reactions:

Got a GFS roller bridge for my Firebird with the Les Trem. Let's see if it helps with tuning stability. Anybody know if the more expensive ones are actually substantially better than the GFS ones?
voodoorat
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:54 pm
voodoorat wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:51 pm
tlarson58 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:10 pm
I run mine into my Princeton Reverb a bunch The lower middle voicing knob, when combined with the gain knob, offers a wide tonal palette. I tried running straight out to the PA once. meh.
honestly most of the reason i got it was we invited a new guitarist to come play a couple of weeks ago and he was playing through my hot rod deluxe and my pedalboard and he just fucked everything up turning knobs like a blind drunk monkey, took me a few days to get it back to normal. who does that!? he uses a marshall modeler at home so i figure a few knobs on a pedal that he can twiddle will leave a lot less mess to clean up next time he comes. i was also marshall-curious, most of my amps have been fenders or voxes.
Partscaster
Reactions:

glasshand wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:52 am Got a GFS roller bridge for my Firebird with the Les Trem. Let's see if it helps with tuning stability. Anybody know if the more expensive ones are actually substantially better than the GFS ones?
I have a Les Trem on my es333 and I think I used a Phili Luthier roller bridge. I needed to accommodate for the abr-1 thin threaded posts . I cant speak to differences. But i remember it seemed like rollerbridge would be appropriate to reduce friction from possibly bending the thin threaded posts.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
artandsoul
Reactions:
Gearlist: sx callisto cus ds tobacco quilt, A2 probuckers.
sx hawk car p90 all stock.
agile al3200 purple black quilt, all stock.
jet city 50w 6l6 warren hanes mod
jet city 100w ltd el34 warren hanes mod
big knob pedals color jumbo, behringer super fuzz, joyo dig tuner, black arts toneworks lstr fuzz" green muff clone"
412 eminence swamp thang 600watts in egnater cabinet

sx callisto std with 10w amp, crappy bag and strap for under 220 shipped with tax on ebay crazy cheap and just had to have 1 of the last sx lps. Get em before there gone! cheaper on ebay than reverb or rondo. It was def worked on had fingerprints on it and its perfect no buzz lowwww action and looks like a 3k gibson top another win for sx callisto best bang for your buck still imo.

20231201_121121.jpg
"Nationwide, on average 21% of adults in the US are illiterate in 2023. 54% of adults have a literacy below 6th grade level" Now I know whats wrong with people lmao
Partscaster
Reactions:

artandsoul wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:06 pm sx callisto std with 10w amp, crappy bag and strap for under 220 shipped with tax on ebay crazy cheap and just had to have 1 of the last sx lps. Get em before there gone! cheaper on ebay than reverb or rondo. It was def worked on had fingerprints on it and its perfect no buzz lowwww action and looks like a 3k gibson top another win for sx callisto best bang for your buck still imo.

20231201_121121.jpg
I wonder if the neck tenon and the body wood appear to be the same wood. Most of my Callisto STD+ came like the CUS which all had the asian "mahogany" neck, and they were very light @ 7lbs. They altered description text after about a year to say maple neck on STD+.

I like how you can save 20$ on the CAR P90 Hawk if you get it with the amp, bag, etc kit vs without the extras. I'd get one of those for the CAR but it would just compete with my lower wind p90(lollar) Natural Hawk that is already a favorite for cleanishness. I dont need a fourth...?????
F----K. I may have to get one. Even for resale purposes in a few years, mahogany strats will likely be worth more than 159$ + shipping.
tobijohn
Reactions:

Partscaster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:20 am ...I'd get one of those for the CAR but it would just compete with my lower wind p90(lollar) Natural Hawk that is already a favorite for cleanishness. I dont need a fourth...?????
What about putting a set of mini-humbuckers in it then?
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar