Whats your' latest gear acquisition?

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
BatUtilityBelt
Reactions:

slowhand84 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:24 pm Got the Brian Moore shown above today and it's going right back, I guess after 30-ish insane GC steals over the years I had to FINALLY get a little boned :lol: .

This was listed as being in "excellent condition", which is the highest GC rating and described as "like new, free of blemishes or marks". Let me know if any of you guys think this qualifies :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ouch! I've had similar returns, and it is a huge let-down. Sorry to see it!
slowhand84
Reactions:

BatUtilityBelt wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:30 pm
slowhand84 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:24 pm Got the Brian Moore shown above today and it's going right back, I guess after 30-ish insane GC steals over the years I had to FINALLY get a little boned :lol: .

This was listed as being in "excellent condition", which is the highest GC rating and described as "like new, free of blemishes or marks". Let me know if any of you guys think this qualifies :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ouch! I've had similar returns, and it is a huge let-down. Sorry to see it!
That's alright, you can't have the insane steals I regularly get without an issue here or there and it's just part of playing the game. It all worked out cuz I scored that Godin XTSA I just posted about and it's better for me than this Brian Moore woulda been in multiple ways :)
golem
Reactions:

Grabbed one of these:

I also bought a Silver Sky in Horizon Red from someone whose shop I was following. I think they might be a AGF member (old forum), but I can't be sure without asking and didn't bother.
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

A friend of mine is contemplating a semi hollow purchase and was telling me he found sound a few used ones on the GC website. I recommend he call the store and have a sales professional lay their hands on it and verify the add is accurate. Even then one must cross one's fingers and hope for the best with GC. You could order a black Les Paul and receive a cherry SG. I think it is the good weed at work.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
Bullcat
Reactions:

Brought a PRS SE CU24 from Dave's Guitar Shop and got the UPS tracking and a day later the tracking pops as "Due to Operating Conditions, Your Package May be Delayed". Ugh then I get "The package has been damaged. All merchandise has been discarded and the sender will be notified". So far no response from Dave's other than here is the tracking # and the guitar has been shipped...

So yeah that's just great, anyway during this joyous time I finally got interest on my Ibanez AS73 that I've had on CL and Marketplace for 3 years and I got to trade it and some cash for what is by far the nicest and best built guitar I have ever played a Schecter C-1 Platinum with a nice Gator TSA case. I've always been interested in Schecter but the neck measurements seemed a bit small for me but it's actually a perfect fit and I'm super thrilled while simultaneously being royally annoyed at UPS and Dave's.
20230624_162729-01.jpeg
20230624_162738-01.jpeg
received_569882798417031-01.jpeg
Joined AGF May 11, 2015
jtcnj
Reactions:

Pro Audio Star sale.
https://www.proaudiostar.com/open-box-s ... le-fb.html
40th tele screenshot.jpg
Listed as "used". Looks new, great guitar out of the box.

The nut slots needed just a little file work, and a basic setup. The setup wasn't horrible, I just dialed it in to my preference, and got the intonation as close as I could with the stock saddles.

The neck profile is thinner than I would like, but ok. The ONLY negative is it weighs about 9lbs. I will probably end up selling this, but if it was in the 7.5lb range others have reported, it would be a definite keeper.
20230630_173857.jpg
20230630_201012.jpg
20230705_183530.jpg
Old AGF since Feb. 2015; refugee of the Great MOMO Purge of May 2020.
Partscaster
Reactions:

1964 Tremolux Head in very clean condition:

arriving tomorrow.
getting a 15" weber speaker soon too.
Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 9.14.09 PM 2.png
wdmywk8zw66vvjxsuagg.jpg
The Tremolux was one of four originally known as the Fender Piggy Back amp heads from the Blonde transitional into early Blackface era, early 60's, AFAIK.
It was the smaller at 35w. Next up was the BandMaster at 40w, and the Bassman at 50w. Then was the Showman at 85w.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
SamIV
Reactions:

That is super nice. Someone took care of it or just stored it away.
tlarson58
Reactions:
Gearlist: A tele, a bass and a bunch of other stuff.

Partscaster wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:28 pm 1964 Tremolux Head in very clean condition:

arriving tomorrow.

wdmywk8zw66vvjxsuagg.jpg
What kind of Weber speaker?
Tommy Larson
Steamboat Springs, CO
Partscaster
Reactions:

tlarson58 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:09 pm
Partscaster wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:28 pm 1964 Tremolux Head in very clean condition:

arriving tomorrow.

wdmywk8zw66vvjxsuagg.jpg
What kind of Weber speaker?
I have loved my two weber 12A125-A 30w/8ohm speakers in my 15-20 watt amps. That extra "A" at the end denotes a significant cone difference, IMO.
Early 60's Jensen style, woody tone with reversed rib cone, 1.25" coil. I think it is a scooped tone. The 20w version is a bit brighter and breaks up earlier. I prefer the 30w. I've tried the "O" smooth cone, and the "H" hemp cone variants. To me, the "A" has something most special. They are in my Richter Tweed Deluxe and Gibson Falcon 19rvt.

The 1.50 voice coil size would be boomier which I dont think I want in a 12", but might be good in a 15". I've read the 15" might be less boomy, smoother, although having more low and high. I want to find out.
So, had the desire to try a 15" speaker...opinions vary, but if good, I could be psyched. I ordered a 15A125-A 30/w, 8ohm to try with a couple 15-20w heads...tried to change it to 4 ohm once I decided to buy the Tremolux. But maybe I didnt change order in time, I'll find out.

I'll try that 15" with a few heads. I might order the bigger 1.5" voice coil "15A150-A" 50w 4ohm depending on how the 1.25 vc one sounds.
If it works well with the tremolux, I may build a combo cab for it. Tremolux -115 combo. Tremolux, a 35w amp, traditionally was paired with 210 extension cab.

If I want more mids, perhaps the regular 15a150 or the Weber California 15" would be my interest.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
jtcnj
Reactions:

First partscaster build: Tele

Got it playable late yesterday, played it a bit. First impressions are very good.
Still dialing in the set up.

Balances well with a rough strap; little bit of neck dive without.
I'm gonna guess 7 - 7.5lbs.
The tuners are Fender 2-pin staggered type; so far don't I don't think it needs string tree(s).

The Wilkinson compensated saddles tend to over compensate, mostly on the D/G saddle.
The bone nut I had on hand is a tiny bit short in overall length and still needs the slots worked just a little lower.
I have blanks, but may just leave this one if I don't screw it up/ cut a slot too low.

The neck took very few strokes with the leveling beam. The ends and bevels were smooth and needed no file work. We will see if they need some touch up come winter.

The Alpha 250k pots I have on hand are long shaft and the holes in the Fender control plate are a little big / for CTS size pots. Adding a washer and nut under the plate to shim them down and once tightened, it is all good. Switch is 3-way Oak Grigsby. Mostly Fender hardware. Allparts jack plate and Switchcraft #11 jack.

This may just be the "right one".
20230820_181715.jpg
20230820_200356.jpg
20230820_200408.jpg
Partscaster
Reactions:

Hadean ELS 8 BK 8 String Guitar...thats right, 8 string. 199$.
I want it for the top 2 strings of bass so that I can loop bass tracks live and play the other 6 strings over the top.

Also got a Singular Sounds Aeros gold edition looper to tie into my Beat Buddy drummer pedal. Tech is my weak suite. But i think I will be motivated enough to get somewhat inside these devices for home and live play.

Also bought a Weber Z-Matcher 100w Impedance Matcher so I can try any speaker with my 4ohm output 64' Fender Tremolux head.
Partscaster
Reactions:

IMG_0728.jpg
I'm very impressed with this 199$ 8-string Hadean. It plays well across the entire neck.
Action is a hair high, but plays well buzz free, including the 2 deep base strings.
Tuners could be improved upon but are okay. Likely, string stretch is still settling in.

My coordination in navigating and implementing the 2 extra strings is already better after a few hours.
My intuitions are flexing to fit , plus theres so many strings I'm praying I discern the 4th, 5th, and 6th correctly as I stab around trying to fit my familiar playing ways in under the mongo base strings. Its easy to get a little blurry eyed looking at them all.
I have the base tuned E and A. So I'm EAEADGBE. Its nice to have the real base tones at the finger tips. I havent started looping with it, but that will be the main aim.

The pickups arent bad. Probably ceramic SX fat-fugs. They are huge.

For the money, 10 out of 10.
For potential improv looping, 20 out of 10.
Tonray's Ghost
Reactions:

You guys are lucky, the pre-owned market here in the Bangkok area is horrendous. Doesn't really exist except for some guy who seems to always be selling a huge amount of ex DJ equipment. I miss the days of surfing Craigslist Central NJ and while it was pretty sparse compared to other parts of the US, orders of magnitude better than here
voodoorat
Reactions:

a few recent acquisitions. i got a jhs angry driver pedal to hopefully serve as my main drive pedal. so far so good, never had a blues driver before and actually really like that side of it more than i expected.

got this because it was ludicrously cheap and i got the ludicrously cheap strat version a while back and was mind-blown that i could get a halfway decent guitar for $60. so the tele version came up for $60 and i got it too. i figure i've got both so i can give them away to a kid when i run into someone wh'os interested in learning to play, they are set up to play pretty well. this one actually got slightly damaged in shipping so monoprice gave me a $10 refund so it was $50. strangely the first white guitar i've ever had.

image.png
this i traded my ac30cc2 for. not sure if that was a fair trade and if it wasn't i'm not sure in whose favor it was, but it's a players-grade 1972 guild d25, mahogany all around. i think it sounds great, a little worried the bridge is going to fall off sooner or later though. the 3-on-a-plate tuners are almost unusable as it is, not sure if they're just misaligned or if there's something more wrong with them. i figure i'll get more use out of the guitar (if it doesn't fall apart anyway) than i would have out of the amp (it was competing for attention with a bunch of other big heavy loud amps in the same space).

image.png
voodoorat
Reactions:

i love that guild by the way. getting a lot more use that the ac30 ever did.

finally got a trade offer on my heavily modified (by the prior owner) eastman/supro dual tone. it was a pretty neat guitar but i never bonded with it so never really played it, and it was tough to find someone interested in it, so i got one of these gilmour-ish player series strats. this is the first mim strat i've had and i'm petty impressed (and i have a few mia strats and strat-alikes: elite, am standard, s-500, and silver sky), the pickups are the fat 50s and i really like them. i remember being pretty underwhelmed by mim fender pickups back when they were "standards" but this one and the player tele i got both sound quite good imo.

the one i traded:
image.png
the one i got for it:
image.png
also, someone had one of these classic vibe 70s jazz v's listed for $220 (it had a couple of pretty nasty finish dings) so i picked that up too. my first 5 string:
image.png
jtcnj
Reactions:

I ordered this Squier 40th Anniv. Tele in Satin Mocha July 12 during Amazon Prime Days. When I ordered they were in stock, delivery date about 1 week. After I ordered it, I got a message they will email me when available to ship, probably early August.
It finally showed up a full 8 weeks later.

In the meantime, I built the partscaster a few posts back in this thread.

I figured I would wait it out to see if this one was a reasonable weight, but also knew the neck profile was too slim for my liking.

I found a fairly cheap "project" neck on reverb, and took a chance on it since the seller got back to me with the profile measurements.
It feels great, but has very little relief, and I think the nut cutout is too far from the first fret... so project it is. I posted about this neck in the "workbench" thread.

Stock, it is really nice, about 7.5lbs, and would be great if I liked the neck.
Since the partscaster is really, really good, I am still debating on whether to put the stock neck back on this one and return it.

Stock:
20230831_191751.jpg
20230831_191810.jpg
Project neck:

20230903_121225.jpg
20230908_183927.jpg
jtcnj
Reactions:

I didn't buy this, but it reminded me of a member here:
You know, the fella with the most amazing pawn shop finds..... :D

Partscaster
Reactions:

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (14.4 KiB) Viewed 974 times
Just installed a set of Raw Vintage 112 (11.2mm) saddles in my amber burst strat. I like the difference quite a lot from the fender vintage, which sounded good but different. Raw Vintage has more 3d, sparkling top end, a little louder, ...so I just bought 3 more sets for the most obvious candidates. They also make an 108 version aka 10.8mm model for modern 2-1/16 string spacing bridges.

Highwood is another maker of Fender style bent steel replacement saddles. Theres so much opinion about tone differences and preferences. I want the vintage jangle top end enhancement and Raw Vintage has delivered.
voodoorat
Reactions:

jtcnj wrote:I didn't buy this, but it reminded me of a member here:
You know, the fella with the most amazing pawn shop finds..... :D

I do have this shirt. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
golem
Reactions:

I had picked up a Quilter Aviator (Early USA made one) because someone upgraded it with a Neo Jensen Tornado I wanted. Pulled it out, put the Celestion it would have originally had back in and ended up trading it for six pedals.

And a clone of this:

@andrewsrea I'm assuming some of these you'd be interested in trying? I think I've gotten these, a Catalinbread Cloak, and the Belle Epoch Deluxe since I saw you last.
voodoorat
Reactions:

have been curious about these for a long time but they don't show up much on the local market. the bassist pressured me into buying it and i caved.

kind of interesting an interesting thing. it's squier classic vibe bass vi.
image.png
Partscaster
Reactions:

[url]
voodoorat
Reactions:

This one was an unplayable mess that our drummer had--literally one of the saddles on the Floyd at some point had been put on backwards or something so it couldn't be tuned, the trem was so out of balance the action was awful, the metal parts were all a little rusty, etc. I fixed it up for him and gave it back but have been sort of half looking for something pointier than I'm used to with a Floyd since. I figured I'd just ask if he wanted to sell it and he agreed, although I overpaid him a little since he thought it was worth more than it probably is, especially in this buyers' market. This is definitely one of the black sheep of my guitar family.

It's an Ibanez RG4EX1, Indonesian RG Series from I think around 2006, black quilt. I had a Washburn KC40 once that I got in the 90s which had a crackle red finish and a Floyd and I hated it so much, but that was many years ago and I'm much more competent at guitar maintenance now than I was then I think now I'll appreciate the pain-in-the-ass-but-when-its-over-its-over-edness of setting up the bridge a lot more than I did at the time.
image.png
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

arriving tomorrow.

wdmywk8zw66vvjxsuagg.jpg

The Tremolux was one of four originally known as the Fender Piggy Back amp heads from the Blonde transitional into early Blackface era, early 60's, AFAIK.
It was the smaller at 35w. Next up was the BandMaster at 40w, and the Bassman at 50w. Then was the Showman at 85w.
That Tremolux through a 15" Weber will be awesome. Which speaker model? I had a Blue Dog Alnico in my Delta Blues and it was one of the best amps ever.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole