How to safely store my guitars

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
tony1852
Reactions:

Gentlemen-need your help! Since you've enabled me to purchase another agile (and a few others), I need to figure out the best way to store some of these while I rotate them in and out for playing. I've got a very small house and can only store about 6-8 guitars inside in my bedroom under the bed and in the closet. I have a shed that's not climate controlled that I figure is a no-go. I also figure the attic is a no-go as well. I do have a crawl space under the house that seems to be the best option. Would it be OK to store my guitars there? It's not climate controlled, but it never seems to get too cold or too hot there, nor does it seem to have crazy swings in humidity. Should I wrap the guitars and/or cases in plastic? Get some of those silicone packets? Thanks guys!!
mickey
Reactions:

Chances are you would need to run a DEhydrator in the crawl space should you choose to store guitars there.
You can get those at Home Depot/Lowes. You would need to add a hose and drain it out in the yard because
the internal water storage will fill up in 24 hours or less & I'm sure you don't need an additional chore.
Gandalf the Intonationer
zisme
Reactions:

Wall hangers?

I can't imagine pulling guitars out of my crawl space when i want to play one, much less storing them there - but i live in a much more humid area, in a flood zone, and practically below sea level :lol:

I once heard a friend say the only place in the world more humid than the tidewater region is the amazon rain forest. might have to fact check that...
frogs love to eat flies,
the devil's name, Beelzebub, lord of the flies
evil spirits love to spiritually feed upon those whom Beelzebub rules

joined AGF March 20, 2013
Flatline
Reactions:

How many guitars in total?

I installed slat wall and got some angled hangers. I can store up to 12 guitars, maybe more if I tried, in 8 ft of wall space.

Bubba Zanetti
Reactions:
Gearlist: Let's talk about my Eko's...

Flatline wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:47 pm How many guitars in total?

I installed slat wall and got some angled hangers. I can store up to 12 guitars, maybe more if I tried, in 8 ft of wall space.

That is one hell of a nice looking storage solution and collection. You got all the bases covered.
In the Midnight Hour she Cried MoMoMo
tony1852
Reactions:

i heard that hanging guitars like that could harm the neck/headstock. i'm assuming that since you did this that's an old wives tale. now i have to find maybe a few 4' sections of open wall in my house, which still isn't going to be easy. i think i have 11 right now. probably sell a couple, but might pick up a couple more. had 13 at one time, sold 6, but then bought 4 in the last few weeks, no thanks to you guys lol!

if i can't find the hooks, might reach out to see if you have information on them. should be able to google though-thanks!
Flatline
Reactions:

I bought the slat wall board at Menards and the hangers on Amazon.

These are the ones I used:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B5LCG78

Hanging them will not harm the neck or head stock. Some of the rubber materials used on hangers and stands are known to react with nitrocellulose finishes and causes issues with that, but the String Swing brand are supposed to be safe for all finishes.

I thought about getting two of these, but doing slat wall and hangers like I did was cheaper and gave me options for hanging straps and accessories.
https://smile.amazon.com/String-Swing-S ... B00JDP3HMQ
Milkman
Reactions:

tony1852 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:54 pm i heard that hanging guitars like that could harm the neck/headstock. i'm assuming that since you did this that's an old wives tale.
Well, they hang the expensive guitars up high like that at the store - can’t be that bad.

Also, I have plenty of space here for your guitars.
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013
tony1852
Reactions:

As always, thanks for the great info and continuing to enable me!
fatjack
Reactions:

I live in another humid climate farther south. Walhangers , either the string Savers or slat best option. Plus you have bigger temp swings than me.
mozz
Reactions:

"Hanging them will not harm the neck or head stock. "
I'll never believe that. Science just tells me all that weight is pulling on the neck joint and over time it will fail, may be 100 years but......

I have a guitar stand which holds about 8-10, everything else has a separate stand or a case and that's where it goes when i'm done playing.
AGF refugee
Flatline
Reactions:

I will agree that the safest place for a guitar is in a hard case, but hanging guitars make them more accessible and likely to be played.
Chocol8
Reactions:

mozz wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:52 pm "Hanging them will not harm the neck or head stock. "
I'll never believe that. Science just tells me all that weight is pulling on the neck joint and over time it will fail, may be 100 years but......

I have a guitar stand which holds about 8-10, everything else has a separate stand or a case and that's where it goes when i'm done playing.
Not a problem with bolt-ons or neck throughs, so I am going to convert to only Fenders and 3200 series Agiles.
mozz
Reactions:

When they fall, they get a nice 6ft start so the headstock break is very clean.
AGF refugee
tony1852
Reactions:

couldn't find the space for slat wall like that, but can probably find a couple of sq.ft. around the house to get a few up. maybe i support the bottoms as well to take some weight off the neck?

found this, think it's the same thing but for wall mount no slat and 1 guitar at a time (this is a 3 pack):

https://www.samash.com/string-swing-woo ... -ss13pkxxx
LightWingStudios
Site Admin
Reactions:

Milkman wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm
tony1852 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:54 pm i heard that hanging guitars like that could harm the neck/headstock. i'm assuming that since you did this that's an old wives tale.
Well, they hang the expensive guitars up high like that at the store - can’t be that bad.

You REALLY think they care in the retail stores? :)
U.S. Manufacturer Of Musical Instrument Protection Accessories: AxeShield HD, AxeSak HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, PedalShield HD, MixShield HD, AxeGlove And AxeCap.

Visit Us At https://www.LightWingStudios.com

Email us at contact@LightWingStudios.com
Milkman
Reactions:

lightwingstudios wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:06 pm
Milkman wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm

You REALLY think they care in the retail stores? :)
Good point! :lol:
"Everything works if you let it." - Travis W. Redfish

Joined AGF April 10, 2013