Buddha pickups

Sub forums for Agile/SX, Gibson, Fender, PRS, Epiphone, Douglas, Other guitars and Lessons. If you would like another added contact the Site Admin.
Jaymo
Reactions:
Gearlist: SX Liquid. SX Hawk. Sawtooth Tele. Ibanez GAX70L. SX Callisto STD+. Ibanez miKro bass. Jay Turser Pbass. Carvin LB70L.

Buddha Pickups wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:47 pm I'm still here. I'm not really on reverb anymore though.
It's become too expensive to be a small business these days so I only make a few pickups here and there.

I appreciate the kind words btw!
Tim, it's great to hear from you?
Do you still make Strat pickups?
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

Narsh wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:08 pm Tim!!! Miss you buddy. Totally understand about the small business thing. Tough times we live in.

I vouch for your work anywhere.

I would put Tim's pickups against any Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Kiesel, Bareknuckle it EMG's Ive owned. For any style by the way, not just metal.
You do, and I certainly appreciate that
I feel you make any guitar sound great though!
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

uwmcscott wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:19 pm
Buddha Pickups wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:47 pm I'm still here. I'm not really on reverb anymore though.
It's become too expensive to be a small business these days so I only make a few pickups here and there.

Great to hear from you tim, also a satisfied customer and good to hear that you still get a chance to build a few here and there. Can you still do work via the forum here if need be?
Thank you so much and of course I'm always available for any questions/etc via pm
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

Jaymo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:28 pm

Tim, it's great to hear from you?
Do you still make Strat pickups?
I can still make anything 👍
tobijohn
Reactions:

Narsh wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:08 pm
I would put Tim's pickups against any Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan, Kiesel, Bareknuckle it EMG's Ive owned. For any style by the way, not just metal.
I concur, I have a lot of his pickups and all of them equal or exceed the quality of any of the big name brands that I've got...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
littlebadboy
Reactions:

If I would recommend you @Buddha Pickups to someone not from the forum (not momo), where should I point them?
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

littlebadboy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:56 am If I would recommend you @Buddha Pickups to someone not from the forum (not momo), where should I point them?
I can still get messages on reverb as well as I can give you my email
Friedl
Reactions:

I have a recent set, too. It’s my second set from Tim, and they have both been perfect.
2nd-year bassist for about 30 years
SamIV
Reactions:

I have bought a couple sets from Tim. I bought a set for a MIM Strat. A New Orleans based professional touring musician bought that said guitar from me. He loves the pickups so much, he got In touch with me to see who made them. Don’t know if he ever got in touch with Buddha Pickups though.
PoodlesAgain
Reactions:

@SamIV Tad Benoit..?!?
The other farm cats didn’t super love him but the chickens thought he was alright so he became a chicken.
SamIV
Reactions:

Not Tab. He is actually from Houma where I live and plays Tele’s. Believe he has a couple of 72 Thinlines. All I have seen him play live and they are very road worn.
peskypesky
Reactions:

Anyone remember another winder, Harpmaster?
I have a nice set of his P90s in my SX Liquid.
Banned by Momo
peskypesky
Reactions:

now I'm GASing for some Buddha pickups. lol
Banned by Momo
mickey
Reactions:

peskypesky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:47 pm Anyone remember another winder, Harpmaster?
Uh, Paul, Harpmaster was NOT a pickup winder. He was a pickup importer. He had some really good pickups (I have some in one of my strat copies and am really happy with them.) But he was a shithead who (to use the old Army saying) "Shit in his messkit."
I disremember the details, but he screwed up royally!!!

Anyhoo, the pickups he imported (made to his specs) were really good. :)
Gandalf the Intonationer
peskypesky
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:57 pm
peskypesky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:47 pm Anyone remember another winder, Harpmaster?
Uh, Paul, Harpmaster was NOT a pickup winder. He was a pickup importer. He had some really good pickups (I have some in one of my strat copies and am really happy with them.) But he was a shithead who (to use the old Army saying) "Shit in his messkit."
:shock:
Banned by Momo
Buddha Pickups
Reactions:

mickey wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:57 pm

Anyhoo, the pickups he imported (made to his specs)
I'd like the quoted text twice if I could.

He was a douche that became very rude when I started selling pickups as well and asked him to clarify that his pickups are imported as most people thought he made them himself. He screwed at least 1 forum member by taking his money and disappearing for years with their guitar and money.

His pickups were made by the same folks that made pickups for RH Tonefactor, not sure if he's still in business or not but I'm pretty sure the specs were mostly the same too.
Partscaster
Reactions:

For the historical record, I had switched Aussie winder D'Urbano Magnetics Firebird pickup into bridge, and one of his p90's into neck. He sells a Neil Young pickup set, but I think I ordered them as singles and so my p90 might be different. At any rate, his p90 is too dark for this application. His Firebird is perfect, authentic FB design with 2 mags on edge...I think. Anyhow, his p90 measured 8.9 at 65F. I think no wonder it seemed a bit dark. I had sunk it below deck level, even raised pole pieces way up, still a little too dark. Glad I gave it a try. Will save it for a bridge position.

Anyway, Buddha p90 is back in neck position with a 7.6ohm and brass plate, teamed up with D'Urbano's nice firebird pickup at bridge.
This guitar is killer Cortez through a Richter Tweed Deluxe.
IMG_0588.jpg
IMG_0589.jpg
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Partscaster wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:45 pm His Firebird is perfect, authentic FB design with 2 mags on edge...I
IMG_0588.jpgIMG_0589.jpg
It is ironic that the FB 'side-by-side' pickups are becoming an internet legend. The 60's FB's were magnets facing the strings and only for a few years beginning around 1972 the side-facing pups were made (the Thunderbird Bass pups started this in the late 60's). I believe they were in response to the sometimes-brittle high end of the bridge pups which had the strong Alnico 5 magnets. I remember resoundingly, players of that time hated them and the reissue Firebirds faded out after the Bicentennial model. They made the neck selection total mud and the bridge sound like it had a blanket.

Later, people picked up on that you can use the original Alnico 2 (only a few years in the early 60's) magnets and a capacitor to perfectly dial in the bridge pickup. It is one of my favorite pickups.

I'll have to try to build a side-facing FB pup for curiosity.
Live life to the fullest! - Rob
Partscaster
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:16 am
Partscaster wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:45 pm His Firebird is perfect, authentic FB design with 2 mags on edge...I
IMG_0588.jpgIMG_0589.jpg
It is ironic that the FB 'side-by-side' pickups are becoming an internet legend. The 60's FB's were magnets facing the strings and only for a few years beginning around 1972 the side-facing pups were made (the Thunderbird Bass pups started this in the late 60's). I believe they were in response to the sometimes-brittle high end of the bridge pups which had the strong Alnico 5 magnets. I remember resoundingly, players of that time hated them and the reissue Firebirds faded out after the Bicentennial model. They made the neck selection total mud and the bridge sound like it had a blanket.

Later, people picked up on that you can use the original Alnico 2 (only a few years in the early 60's) magnets and a capacitor to perfectly dial in the bridge pickup. It is one of my favorite pickups.

I'll have to try to build a side-facing FB pup for curiosity.
I'm still confused, I think.

FWIW, heres the text from D'Urbano for their FB pickup: (I may have been wrong with my description of 2 mags, edges upward, as being what D'Urbano's design is. Seems like that relates to the 70's Bill Lawrence FB pup design? )

From D'Urbano Magnetics: "THEIR DESIGN IS BASED ON THE ORIGINAL 1963 FIREBIRD PICKUPS USING ALNICO V BLADES AND A SPECIALLY DESIGNED MAGNETIC CIRCUIT TO ACHIEVE THE CLASSIC FIREBIRD TONE. I HAVE BEEFED THEM UP A LITTLE BUT STILL RETAIN THE CHARACTER OF THE CLASSIC FIREBIRD PUP."

----------------------
and here is a Firebird pickup article I found:
,https://www.heliotricity.com/firebird-pickups/

"There have been numerous changes to the design of these pickups by Gibson since they were first introduced in 1963, here are the basics.

1963-1964 FIREBIRD GUITAR PICKUPS:
Two mini hum sized (nylon?) bobbins, both with rectangular mold holding what appears to be the bar magnets in slots of the bobbin so the windings are surrounding the magnet itself. No external bar magnets like a regular humbucker or Deluxe mini-hum. Black bobbin wires, enameled dark windings, thin metal plate covering both bobbins on the bottom side held with black, tar like glue. Two maple spacers between bobbins and bottom plate. No cutout for braided lead. It simply exits the pickup through the thin gap between the cover and bottom plate. PAT number sticker.

1965-1969 FB PICKUPS (POSSIBLY UP TO 1972, NOT COMPLETELY SURE ABOUT THAT AS OF NOW):

Two mini hum sized (nylon?) bobbins, both with rectangular mold holding what appears to be the magnets inside of the bobbin itself so the windings are surrounding the magnet itself. No external magnets like a regular humbucker or Deluxe mini-hum. White bobbin wires, Polyurethane coated bright orange windings, thin metal plate covering both bobbins on the bottom side held with black, tar like glue. Notched cutout in base plate corner for braided lead wires. PAT number sticker.

1970’S FIREBIRD (’76 BICENTENNIAL AND AFTER?):

Editors Note: This section has been updated to include what we now know thanks to Wallace Blackie Gold’s explosive and groundbreaking post (included below). WBG’s expert study, accompanied by blistering clips from the recently deceased Daniel Shams of Heliotricity blew the doors open and shed unprecedented light on these previously “mysterious” 70’s Firebird pups.

Gibson bicentennial firebird guitars used two different designs for the neck and the bridge pickups. The neck pickup was the standard 1965-1969 design (very possibly the same pickup that was in the Medallion Firebirds but without the embossed cover) but the bridge was a unique Bill Lawrence “sidewinder” design utilizing two mini hum size bobbins positioned 90 degrees from the original angle. Windings face upward to top of pickup. This pickup had a single thick ceramic bar magnet slipped between bobbins also 90 degrees from normal bar magnet position. Bottom plate is stamped with pat number."
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
tonebender
Reactions:
Gearlist: Fav: Gibson LP and Gibson Goldtone Amp. Other gear: Gretsch, Peavey, Taylor and more.

I recently installed a set of hums he made for me and they are dead on as usual. I have lost count of how many I have ordered from Tim and he nails it every time.
"Will follow through with a transaction when the terms are agreed upon" almightybunghole
andrewsrea
Reactions:
Gearlist: 28 Guitars: (2) basses, (2) acoustics, (3) hollow bodies, (3) Semi hollow, (1) Double-neck, (17) Solid-bodies

Partscaster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:46 am [

I mistook your description as the Bill Lawrence 'sidewinders', that did not sound good to most players. I've seen pristine Bicentennial guitars at vintage guitar shows, they were virtually unplayed. The guitars looked great - did not sound musical.

Additionally, the original magnets were a mix of Alnico 5's and Alnico 2's (all thrown together in the same bin), until the A2's ran out. You can really tell the difference as in the bridge position, the A2's sound bell-like and a little less bitey (but still with lots of highs), where the A5s sound stiffer and louder. In the Neck position, A2's again sound bell-like with funky vibes and the A5's retain a lot of that, but have more pick and string definition. I like the A2 in the bridge and unless a guitar is inherently bright, A5's in the neck position.
tobijohn
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:03 pm
Additionally, the original magnets were a mix of Alnico 5's and Alnico 2's (all thrown together in the same bin), until the A2's ran out. You can really tell the difference as in the bridge position, the A2's sound bell-like and a little less bitey (but still with lots of highs), where the A5s sound stiffer and louder. In the Neck position, A2's again sound bell-like with funky vibes and the A5's retain a lot of that, but have more pick and string definition. I like the A2 in the bridge and unless a guitar is inherently bright, A5's in the neck position.
It's apples to oranges because of dimensions, materials and construction but what I find interesting is that the Gibson 496T/490R set (which through the years, has come in just about all the Studio models) is exactly the opposite - A5s in the bridge and A2s in the neck. And apperently a lot of people don't like them judging from the fact that they're about the cheapest Gibson pickup set in the used market...
Delightful mix of insolence, arrogance and narcissism
Republican moderate trapped in a heavy metal chassis
Growing up, only kid in the neighborhood with an Uncle Ahkbar
andrewsrea
Reactions:

tobijohn wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:24 pm
...what I find interesting is that the Gibson 496T/490R set (which through the years, has come in just about all the Studio models) is exactly the opposite - A5s in the bridge and A2s in the neck. And apperently a lot of people don't like them judging from the fact that they're about the cheapest Gibson pickup set in the used market...
It is all about personal taste. Teh 496T / 490R combo produces a loud and cutting bridge, with a completely opposite dark and muted neck sound.

PRS did that and still does that with certain models, to which I once had the opportunity to talk with Paul that I did not like the neck sound on my 1992 CE24, nor my 2002 McCarty (too dark). His explanation was that emanated from the late 70's and early 80's mantra, "if a little is great, more extreme must be better." Then he discovered that golden-era Les Pauls and Strats which named musicians gravitated towards, were more balanced and the neck was clearer. I guess for both companies, it was a marketing thing to mass produce a standard set and then up-charge specialty pickups.

Sidenote and IMHO, Gibson should have never abandoned T-tops. IMHO, they were one of the best mass-produced pickups and if they beefed up the bridge winding, would have dominated early.

I use different types of bridge humbuckers, but I cannot stand dark and muted neck pickups. I just rewound and corrected my McCarty neck pup and the CE24 is to follow sometime this year.
Partscaster
Reactions:

andrewsrea wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:03 pm
Partscaster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:46 am [

I mistook your description as the Bill Lawrence 'sidewinders', that did not sound good to most players. I've seen pristine Bicentennial guitars at vintage guitar shows, they were virtually unplayed. The guitars looked great - did not sound musical.

You were right. I had read that original FB pickups had the mags on edge, and I assumed that was what D'Urbano followed based on a thread about his FBs using that design.
That was all wrong. His site does reffer to 63' being the copied design. And I am glad to understand about FB's better.
I love the D'Urbano FB in bridge. The Buddha compliments very nicely in neck. That guitar has its own tone, unique in my herd,. Where the FB pickup is somewhat unique in an LP body, the main factor in the Neil Young copy, it also is a cool guitar for any blues or other material. Its different.
andrewsrea
Reactions:

@Partscaster Thats what I thought and am glad that is what you have, as they sound great. IMHO, copying Lawernce 'sidewinders' would be like Mercedes copying a Yugo.

Good FB's are undiscovered for many. I have my AMI's in my 2016 Gibson FB (replacing the way over wound stock pickups), in my SX SJM62 (a.k.a.:'Liquid') and a set of Duncan SM-1n and SM-3b in my Agile AD2300. When you are jamming with other guitarists and you want to discern yourself without volume wars, grab one of these.